Help! New Rear Brake Cylinder question

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
DaveCarGuy

Help! New Rear Brake Cylinder question

Post by DaveCarGuy »

Hi all ! I am in the process of replacing my rear brake cylinders. I bought new ones from Z Car Depot. Brand is Dorman First Stop item W96472. Fits all 510s from 1969-1973 (mine is a 1971). https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-15293-w96472.aspx

Here's my question for anyone who has bought this or similar: There is a metal spacer/tab of some sort inserted in the groove/slot which should be where the lower tab of the brake shoe should seat. As it comes, the slot is "full" and is not recessed to allow the brake shoe to seat in there. I only noticed it once I installed everything and the shoe wouldn't seat at the bottom. No problem on the other side, where the cylinder moves in and out of the housing.

Do I have the wrong part? Or is that small metal rectangular tab something that should be removed? See photos, yellow circle shows the spot it should slot into, but can't. Other photos show the old part vs the new part.

I've searched the forums and found nothing. Any help is appreciated!!
IMG_9653.jpeg
IMG_9653.jpeg (299.63 KiB) Viewed 129 times
IMG_9654.jpeg
IMG_9654.jpeg (349.4 KiB) Viewed 129 times
IMG_9656.jpeg
IMG_9656.jpeg (426.56 KiB) Viewed 129 times
IMG_9655.jpeg
IMG_9655.jpeg (336.88 KiB) Viewed 129 times
iceman510

Re: Help! New Rear Brake Cylinder question

Post by iceman510 »

I recall seeing this mentioned on Ratsun I think, but might have been a different Datsun like a 620 instead of a 510. I don't recall the resolution (try different parts?). Are the old cylinders ok? Maybe swap internals from the new to old?

The steel part is there for wear, so shouldn't be removed. Maybe with the hold down springs the slot is not necessary, but I agree with greater confidence in the shoe location with the slot there. Seems odd for a supplier to replicate a part except for one particular detail/feature.

BTW, you are looking good on track with the B sedan car. You seem to be moving up the grid and results. I watch Steve Walker's videos (neueklasseguy) and you have had some good battles with him.
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Help! New Rear Brake Cylinder question

Post by datzenmike »

Are they the same length? It's not there to make it match?

The original one didn't need it 'for wear'.

If the shoe is spaced outward that much will the drum still fit over the shoes?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs