Chocolate covered circus peanut

View and post your 510 project(s)
icehouse

Re: Chocolate covered circus peanut

Post by icehouse »

Got my coupe going again. Lost all the brakes a while ago. I procrastinated because i thought the JDM replacement for the brake switch was giant T making the system if you lost any of the brakes you lost all of them. Turns out I was wrong. unfortunately I had to pull it all part to find out. After fixing the brakes I wanted to figure out how the exhaust stink was getting in the car. I borrowed Josh's smoke machine. He said the smoke stinks but using other methods I just wasn't able to get any results. So I decided just to fill the car with smoke. Like my younger years. Found the leaks! I never noticed until doing this you can look from the trunk area and see the chrome vents in the C pillar. Pretty obvious why the stink is getting into the cabin. Although while doing this I noticed my fuel tank leaks.... swap O rings with a used one and it still leaks. I ordered one from Nissan. While ordering parts for the coupe I ordered a new thermostat since the motor never seems to warm up.

So I guess I just never had rear brakes so when I lost them all it was actually just the fronts I lost....

Smoke machine! So stinky!

This is where the stink sneaks in. If you look up there you can actually see the chrome C pillar event. Just a straight path into the car. What the hell Nissan!!! I actually pulled the rear seat and quarter panel trim pieces and used this fancy tape from work. Which did help some. But this is the real problem. I hope.

Used some tin bender tape. Maybe one day I will do a better job. Nope.

Dang gas tank is leaking.... Guess that's were some of the stink is coming from.... New OEM O ring on the way.

I did drive it for the day. Little gas leak did stop a test drive! Brakes work, Seems like way less stink.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
gooned

Post by gooned »

Man that coupe is just so neat to have, yeah any of these old cars with the fuel INSIDE the car can stink horribly with age.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

update!  Zero stink (okay still the smell of baby oil slightly from the smoke machine) wow I wish I would have known how to fix this 20 years ago.  Such a nicer car to drive.  I have a cut up quarter panel in the back yard.  Here is a picture of where the stink access the cabin.  You can see the cutouts for the vent it he C pillar and into the cabin.  Now to install a stereo.  

Been driving it a lot. Still a list of items to fix. This is the next project. There is one guy on here who knows what this is going to be.

This collage intern at work got a "new" car. Pretty cool guys are into old stuff still! His buddy bought a Tesla haha.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Power steering components.......
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

bertvorgon wrote: 17 Apr 2024 11:47 Power steering components.......
Yep!! I love power steering. Hydro is way better then electric but I'm just going to have to live with electric.
BEO 510

Post by BEO 510 »

Would you like to explain why you think hydraulic is way better than electric? From a little reading here & there over the years, it looks like most people go for electric when converting to power steering. I am just trying to learn and understand.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

BEO 510 wrote: 26 Apr 2024 05:54 Would you like to explain why you think hydraulic is way better than electric? From a little reading here & there over the years, it looks like most people go for electric when converting to power steering. I am just trying to learn and understand.
Hydraulic has a way better feel. It also dampens feedback from the road. Just enough to make it a great driving experience. The electric is weird, in our racecar with it you can feel it turning on and off and varying the power level. I mean it's still better then manual steering but if I could choose it would be hydraulic 100% in every car I own. The hydraulic is more even and smooth feeling, it doesn't feel like the car has power steering per say. Just feels natural. I had a car with the Toyota 86 base level hydraulic steering rack in it. Wow that 510 was the best. I'm rebuilding it right now. It's so good!
BEO 510

Post by BEO 510 »

Thanks for the useful information.