My Brakes Suck!

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
toylet
Supporter

Re: My Brakes Suck!

Post by toylet »

I wanted to do Z32 rear calipers with rear z31 vented discs but not sure who makes the conversion brackets.
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

I guess I should update this. I did in fact swtich to Z32 calipers from Parts Shop Max. My pedal feel hasn't changed much and I don't feel as though I have much of an improvement. I will be trying to change the pivot point to change the pedal ratio and see if that helps. The car works and there's nothing "wrong", but I do wish I had more pedal feel and modulation.

toylet wrote: 10 Jan 2023 04:35 I wanted to do Z32 rear calipers with rear z31 vented discs but not sure who makes the conversion brackets.
I don't have any conversion brackets. I have S12 V6 front struts so I could have a direct 5 lug swap with Z31 components. The Z32 calipers fit diretly to these with no modifications. The rears are welded Z31 hubs. This gives me the caliper bracket, but mostly it was to use Z31 hubs for 5 lug and CV conversion.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, FP 6851S, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

What I did on mine, was to put a 1" section into the brake pedal arm. That both increased the leverage, and, it gave me more "feel", modulation of you will. Plus I bent it over a hair.

I can measure that EXACTLY if you like, it has been awhile since I did that....40 years...sheesh.....

The pedal is FIRM, yet with the leverage, has that most necessary feel for modulation, at least in my case.

For me too, I have small feet, so it dropped the brake pedal pad down more for heel and toeing.

Obviously ALL slop out of the master cylinder arm on the clevis pin under the dash.

Just to mention, I'm sure you have checked that the pads are square to the rotors, Does not take much of being out a few thou to start to increase travel, as the pad try to "square" up. Once you bed them in, that will also help with feel
Attachments
IMGP8033 (Large).jpeg
IMGP8033 (Large).jpeg (317.55 KiB) Viewed 103 times
IMGP8031 (Large).jpeg
IMGP8031 (Large).jpeg (409.36 KiB) Viewed 103 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

I was planning to make a modified attachement to the rod. I was going to start by moving the hole down about an inch while leaving the rod in its current plane. The stock piece is just pressed metal with a welded nut. Pretty simple to make something similar that attaches lower. At least that's the plan.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, FP 6851S, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs