Welp.... With the price of SR's I've went to the dark side......

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
freekwonder

Re: Welp.... With the price of SR's I've went to the dark side......

Post by freekwonder »

Somebody post updates, I need smarter people to follow to help with my k swap. Got a few parts, but I'm stuck on motor mounts at the moment.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

The K is back in a 510 over here! Clutch pedal work! 2 pedals left to go. Sure am excited. but still a long road.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
shlammed

Post by shlammed »

freekwonder wrote: 08 Feb 2024 14:43 Somebody post updates, I need smarter people to follow to help with my k swap. Got a few parts, but I'm stuck on motor mounts at the moment.
I will start a thread sometime soon.

What trans did you use?
freekwonder

Post by freekwonder »

shlammed wrote: 26 Feb 2024 08:02
freekwonder wrote: 08 Feb 2024 14:43 Somebody post updates, I need smarter people to follow to help with my k swap. Got a few parts, but I'm stuck on motor mounts at the moment.

What trans did you use?
Sticking with my ka24 trans, Originally had a ka24de swapped in the car and literally had a new driveshaft build last summer. Was hoping to avoid the added cost of getting a new trans and new driveshaft. I'm not building any race cars, or major canyon carve though, just a fun reliable around town car.
shlammed

Post by shlammed »

freekwonder wrote: 26 Feb 2024 10:11

What trans did you use?
Sticking with my ka24 trans, Originally had a ka24de swapped in the car and literally had a new driveshaft build last summer. Was hoping to avoid the added cost of getting a new trans and new driveshaft. I'm not building any race cars, or major canyon carve though, just a fun reliable around town car.
Thats how I started as well.

I didnt have a new shaft or mount for my ka trans and I needed a proper speedo gear for s13 trans plus the collins adapter. I abandoned the KA trans for mine, sold it and bought BRZ trans for the same $ as the ka trans sold for. I just recently found a KPower adapter and flywheel with their shift base plate for $1000cad or about $700usd which is way under the new kpower adapter price which is also well under the collins adapter price. That said I will need some kind of aftermarket speedo since the trans does not have an output and I believe I might be the first with this transmission so I have to confirm how much work it will be to fit to the car.

I also like how this way Im using a stock clutch kit (brz) and the slave cylinder is out of the way of the exhaust. Im just hoping its out of the way of the firewall too lol
freekwonder

Post by freekwonder »

shlammed wrote: 26 Feb 2024 10:25

What trans did you use?

I didnt have a new shaft or mount for my ka trans and I needed a proper speedo gear for s13 trans plus the collins adapter. I abandoned the KA trans for mine, sold it and bought BRZ trans for the same $ as the ka trans sold for. I just recently found a KPower adapter and flywheel with their shift base plate for $1000cad or about $700usd which is way under the new kpower adapter price which is also well under the collins adapter price. That said I will need some kind of aftermarket speedo since the trans does not have an output and I believe I might be the first with this transmission so I have to confirm how much work it will be to fit to the car.

I also like how this way Im using a stock clutch kit (brz) and the slave cylinder is out of the way of the exhaust. Im just hoping its out of the way of the firewall too lol
I've never looked into KA trans prices or BRZ trans prices to be honest, surprised they are around the same cost. Wonder how different they are size and measurement wise. Had to look up images since I've never seen one before, a little worried about where the slave cylinder is and how far back the shifter is, one of the other reasons I didn't want to go with the Z transmission, it seemed like the shifter was further back than the KA shifter and that already seems pretty far back in my car.
shlammed

Post by shlammed »

freekwonder wrote: 26 Feb 2024 11:25
shlammed wrote: 26 Feb 2024 10:25

I've never looked into KA trans prices or BRZ trans prices to be honest, surprised they are around the same cost. Wonder how different they are size and measurement wise. Had to look up images since I've never seen one before, a little worried about where the slave cylinder is and how far back the shifter is, one of the other reasons I didn't want to go with the Z transmission, it seemed like the shifter was further back than the KA shifter and that already seems pretty far back in my car.
Here you go!

The Kpower BRZ kit mounts their shifter to the floor with a bolt on plate and they have a shorter shifter linkage (4" shorter than stock). The actual application in the BRZ they move the stock transmission rearward by 4".
Not that you need to buy their parts to make it happen. I found a deal on the mounting plate so I scooped it up. Agree the shifter is a bit rear from the s13 trans stock for stock but its all modular so it can happen pretty easy.

The trans is an aisin trans which I believe is a variant of the s15 6 speed. bellhousing and input shafts are different. I dont have my driveshaft handy to see if it is the same output shaft in the BRZ from the s chassis. Would be super helpful if it was though!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Yeah the RX8 first gen trans is also Aisin which is the same as the S15 Spec R 6 speed. They did change the reverse gear design slightly. At one time we had all 3 apart on the work bench. We were trying to swap the parts into the s15 housing. But it wasn't as easy as that. Due to slight differences.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Yeah the RX8 first gen trans is also Aisin which is the same as the S15 Spec R 6 speed. They did change the reverse gear design slightly. At one time we had all 3 apart on the work bench. We were trying to swap the parts into the s15 housing. But it wasn't as easy as that. Due to slight differences.
freekwonder

Post by freekwonder »

shlammed wrote: 26 Feb 2024 12:19
Here you go!

The Kpower BRZ kit mounts their shifter to the floor with a bolt on plate and they have a shorter shifter linkage (4" shorter than stock). The actual application in the BRZ they move the stock transmission rearward by 4".
Not that you need to buy their parts to make it happen. I found a deal on the mounting plate so I scooped it up. Agree the shifter is a bit rear from the s13 trans stock for stock but its all modular so it can happen pretty easy.

The trans is an aisin trans which I believe is a variant of the s15 6 speed. bellhousing and input shafts are different. I dont have my driveshaft handy to see if it is the same output shaft in the BRZ from the s chassis. Would be super helpful if it was though!
Interesting, so as a whole it's not much wider except for the bell housing, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me. Wonder how much massaging it takes to get in. It's shorter overall, but the shifter sits back further. Would be cool if somebody could make a shifter relocation kit.
shlammed

Post by shlammed »

freekwonder wrote: 29 Feb 2024 14:35
shlammed wrote: 26 Feb 2024 12:19
Here you go!

Interesting, so as a whole it's not much wider except for the bell housing, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me. Wonder how much massaging it takes to get in. It's shorter overall, but the shifter sits back further. Would be cool if somebody could make a shifter relocation kit.
I have made a project thread now.

Im taking the trans with me to the car tonight. I will be able to see how close I can get it.

That said, I will be using the Kpower floor mounted shifter base intended for the BRZ swap. I will have that too so I will be able to see how well that will work on my car.

Im going to say its a bit of an optical illusion being wider. The bell is like 2" shorter than the KA, but it shouldnt be much wider. Im grabbing an L series bell from a friend this weekend to do the clearancing mods for KA trans bits so i can see how much wider it is then.