New Apex Engineered rear suspension

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
jeffball610

Re: New Apex Engineered rear suspension

Post by jeffball610 »

Someone finally got back to me and confirmed they can do an R200 and Z31 hubs with CV axle modification. They do sell a Z31 unit, so I didn't think this would be too far fetched. I'm just waiting on them to confirm my request for an order and to send some money. Has anyone actually installed the unit yet? Has anyone run into fitment issues or can confirm their quality? It seems pretty straightforward of a swap once you have the parts, but we all know that nothing fits just right on 50 year old cars.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, FP 6851S, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

It would be cool if they did actual charts of stock vs. their's. I know from what we did that the points you choose are very important if you want less tow and camber gain. 1/2 of stock camber gain is best we could do and that wasn't easy. Also their exhaust clearance seems non existent and that jacking point is silly, my car would be sitting on it, my low profile jack won't even slide under my diff. Let me know how it feels vs. stock suspension.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

icehouse wrote: 06 Dec 2022 18:03 It would be cool if they did actual charts of stock vs. their's. I know from what we did that the points you choose are very important if you want less tow and camber gain. 1/2 of stock camber gain is best we could do and that wasn't easy. Also their exhaust clearance seems non existent and that jacking point is silly, my car would be sitting on it, my low profile jack won't even slide under my diff. Let me know how it feels vs. stock suspension.
If and when they get back to me and I can get it in my hands, I will do my best to measure suspension movement and geometry changes. Right now I know my rear end setup isn't ideal. It was just put together with basic tools. I do have "Byron brackets" in the rear to give me some semblance of adjustability and geometry correction. Everything seems to work fine, but I have no benchmark to compare it to.

If they can't get back to me in the next 6 months or so (at this point it seems like a stretch), then I'll head down the road of just fabricating my own. Good info on acutal suspension design seems slim, but basic info is abundant. I might be able to fill in enough blanks to make something that works.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, FP 6851S, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I would say wrong info is abundant. I could dig up some of our old info for you if you end up going that route.

I want to try spherical bearings in the stock arms. The stock bushings flex a ton. I'd just like to see if I can feel the difference. I'm one of those people that notice every little thing about cars, so much so it drives me crazy. My bro is head of a shop that works on new cars. I drove one on a road trip he said all the things that annoyed me no one else ever brought up haha.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
jonk

Post by jonk »

any feedback on these yet?
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

I have the front and rear suspension but missing some front end parts that were missed in the shipment. I hope to get to the fitment of everything in early / mid June and will post pictures. I won't be test driving until spring 2024...
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

ostaylor wrote: 08 May 2023 13:47 I have the front and rear suspension but missing some front end parts that were missed in the shipment. I hope to get to the fitment of everything in early / mid June and will post pictures. I won't be test driving until spring 2024...
Did you ever get your missing parts? And have you installed them yet? I'm interested in their idler arm. Did you go with theirs or someone else's?
---Yeah, I said what I said.
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

I did receive all the missing parts (it took 3 shipments as I did not have a packing list or anything to verify until I did test fitment). I have also test fitted most of it... I did not have my front struts and ran out of time to test fit more than the rear cross member, so more work to do after the car is painted.
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
shlammed

Post by shlammed »

Im curious how people are making out with the rear suspension now that its been out for a bit.
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

I am working on final fitment now. I've run into a couple of more problems. However, I do credit Apex for being responsive and helpful in solving the problems. I'll post details in my build thread.
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI