L series Dogleg long box

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
KMac

L series Dogleg long box

Post by KMac »

Hey all, I'm having a little difficulty sourcing a rebuild kit for an L series dogleg 5 speed I have. I've done a little research but can't find very much about them. My gearbox was sourced from a 180b sss (610) which, as I understand it, was only (?) offered to the Australian/New Zealand market. It is a longbox (31.5 inches or 800mm) and has 63a #2 on the side of the bellhousing. Does anyone out there know of anywhere that might still do either a rebuild kit or at the least the synchos for one of these?? Any help would be very much appreciated
BEO 510

Re: L series Dogleg long box

Post by BEO 510 »

FS5C63A from August 73 to November 75 = steel sync.
FS5W63A from Dec 75 on = Warner brass sync.
A flashlight in the oil filling hole will show you steel or brass.
I am not able at the moment to look in my paperwork, but from memory i think (yeah, think is not good enough) the 63 and 71 series boxes share the same syncros, steel and brass. Some 63 and 71 series had steel sync. There is some leg work to do to keep track on all the variations. The 510 SSS was listed with steel sync, the Roadsters was also. I have seen Roadster shops offer steel sync. Long time ago i was looking into this for my own boxes, i was close but i think i lacked the confirmation on part numbers. Sorry but this is all i can provide at the moment.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The North American '65-'70 311 Roadster, '77-'78 280z, '77-'79 620, '80 720, '78-'80 810 all used a steel 5th gear synchronizer.

32361-20100 This is a piston ring shape with a gap and is not at all like the brass ones with the tiny gear teeth on them.

No idea if this is the one used on the 180B SSS
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I pulled my long 63A dogleg out of parts pile that likely came to N Am on a replacement engine from Japan. It definitely has brass synchros in it. So this might mean that Japan didn't have an SSS option on the JDM Bluebird 610 and only NZ and Australia perhaps got it?

I've asked a friend in Norway who also got long doglegs in the 810SSS. See if he can add to this.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Further....

Apparently the FS5C63A was used on the 610 SSS Bluebird in Japan, NZ, Australia and Europe (or Scandinavia at least) from it's start in August '73 through to November '75 when it was changed to the FS5W63A and used from then on. So the C transmission was just the early one that was later dropped for the W.