Steering box squealing

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
SeeDub_17

Steering box squealing

Post by SeeDub_17 »

Anyone have an issue like this before?
Last night I noticed that the knuckle on the steering shaft that attaches to the top of the steering box is rubbing against the sleeve on the steering column? Makes an awful squealing when turning the wheel.
It is tight against the driver side fender part of the sleeve. First thought would be to install a washer or something behind the steering box where it bolts to the frame to shim it over towards the passenger side. My other idea was to try and adjust the triangle plate of the steering column that attaches to the fire wall.

Looked at pictures online and it seems like sometimes its in the middle, others are tight to the passenger side of the sleeve.
inconsistent results.

Let me know your thoughts.
yenpit

Re: Steering box squealing

Post by yenpit »

Sounds like the bearing in the steel tube of the steering column is bad or dropped out of place, thus the inner shaft is kinked off to the side......?? No other thing I can think of, except something is BENT!

I would NOT space the steering box away from the frame.............that is not the way to fix it!

If you think the steering column is damaged, all 69-73 2dr 4dr Wagon are the same.......68 might be different. I do have available, but yu are much better off locating in Canada, cuz of shipping from USA to Canada!!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
iceman510

Re: Steering box squealing

Post by iceman510 »

Disconnect it from the steering box to see where it locates when not loaded. Then rotate it in free state and see if it rotates concentrically.