Door Seal Question.

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Rush
Supporter

Door Seal Question.

Post by Rush »

I'm installing my door seals. Is this the proper orientation? My old stuff was so mangled I can't tell.

RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Re: Door Seal Question.

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Morning Rush. The seals look correct to me.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Great! Thanks!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

That's how I just did it on my car. I never noticed this before but 68 doesn't have those little plastic guys on the bottom of the door to help hold the seal on.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Interesting. My doors have them but they actually sit kinda above this seal & there are no holes for them. I wonder if they're broke.
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Here's another thread with some close up pictures. I think I did mine (Datsport) backwards, but they seen to work ok.

https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=32796

I think you can see the difference in how the upper rear corner wraps around. If wrong, it's not smooth, if correct, it is.

The plastic clips Icehouse mentions don't go into the weatherstrip, the basically just catch the edge of it. I don't believe I reused them on my car, so they may not fit or work exactly the same as with the Nissan weatherstrip.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Hmm. Now I wonder if I did it right. I know you can just barely see the corner in this pic & I can take another if I need to but it seems like the corner is smooth. Thanks for posting that link, Iceman. I searched all over here & couldn't find that!
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Yours looks correct. I realized after I posted that Steve's comment in that thread about the corner not being smooth when installed correctly (option 2 in that thread) does contradict with my comment. Sometimes that can just be due to minor bunching of the part, and pulling a bit tighter can smooth it out. Yours looks smooth, so going by my statement and not Steve's in the original thread, I think you are ok.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Oh, goody! Thanks!

Now I just have to figure out the door handle and lock mechanism. Since my handles were shaved my door opened using the key to pop the mechanism. The key and handle are both out of the door so I need to figure out what rods I need & where they go.
That's all I need; to lock myself out of my car before I even drove it! lol!