Project 635 - 300HP RWD 620

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
DADZSUN
Supporter

Soooo close to being done!

Post by DADZSUN »

It's been over a month since the last update. I've been chipping away at my to-do list, the last week or two has picked up due to favorable garage temps. Despite the length of time since the last update, she's still not done - but very close! I'm at the point of no longer writing/updating my To-Do list on my white board.

GaugeClusterOriginal.jpg
GaugeClusterOriginal.jpg (115.44 KiB) Viewed 288 times

Part of the slow progress is the time to get the gauge cluster updated from this original setup to one that can handle the Speedhut gauges and double din head unit. Pretty much everything else was on hold until the cluster was complete.

GaugeCluster3D.jpg
GaugeCluster3D.jpg (201.09 KiB) Viewed 288 times

The process required 3D printing the gauge hoods and the radio bezel, epoxy in place, then sand (repeat the last 2 steps several times).

GaugeClusterEpoxy.jpg
GaugeClusterEpoxy.jpg (87.66 KiB) Viewed 288 times

Another challenge was finding a way to fasten the cluster and the headunit to the dash. If you recall I shortened the dash approx 1" so many of the stock mounts no longer work. Eventually I got it figured out and the cluster received a final paint. It's not perfect, but much of my truck isn't either. :lol:

GaugeClusterFinished.jpg
GaugeClusterFinished.jpg (184.02 KiB) Viewed 288 times

For those who know the stock cluster, I've moved things around a bit. There are new aftermarket LED turn signals. The gauge dimmer knob resides where the headlight switch was. The headlight switch now sits where the cigarette lighter was. The square plate is the mount for the Tilton brake bias adjuster. The missing ashtray perfectly houses the Vintage air heater controls.

With the cluster done, I can focus on the wiring.

GaugeClusterRear.jpg
GaugeClusterRear.jpg (177.91 KiB) Viewed 288 times

... and the ignition cluster was ready to be mounted. I hacked one of my 510 electric power steering kit mounts and it worked reasonably well.

IgnitionClusterModified.jpg
IgnitionClusterModified.jpg (160.49 KiB) Viewed 288 times

Next I mounted new Hella headlamps along with H1 & H4 LED bulbs. I also mounted brand new polished headlight bezels. So shiny!

HellaLedBezels.jpg
HellaLedBezels.jpg (163.24 KiB) Viewed 288 times

Finally, it's time to show off 635's new shoes. I had the FD wheels and while I really liked them, they weren't beefy enough in the rear, and didn't have enough 'pop' for match this build's outrageousness.

NewShoes.jpg
NewShoes.jpg (115.29 KiB) Viewed 288 times

Enkei PF01 17x9 rear (et63 - 255/40), 17x8 front (et45 - 225/45). Pretty much a Honda S2000 aftermarket setup. The white is possible a little too blingy, but I'll go with it for awhile, I can always powdercoat down the road.

BikeHauler.jpg
BikeHauler.jpg (214.23 KiB) Viewed 288 times

MTB fits perfect. This will be a familiar sight this summer. 8)

Rear.jpg
Rear.jpg (110.82 KiB) Viewed 288 times

Rear looks good. Those wheels/offset are perfect.

As of now the wipers/pisser, radio/speakers, dome, EPAS, keyed ignition, heater, gauges are all wired. I'd got the headlight, fans, security stuff, and ECU to do before I start shakedown.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
iceman510

Re: Project 635 - 300HP RWD 620

Post by iceman510 »

Looking good. My favorite Enkei wheel for larger diameters.
Edm620

Post by Edm620 »

Yes Edmonton to Halifax was a long haul, took 4 very long days + 1/2 a day. Sun disappeared the moment I crossed into NS and was beset with fog & rain, so didn't get to really see anything :(
"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there"
Ugandan Proverb

76 620 Full custom/resto-mod
Edm620

Post by Edm620 »

I like how it's looking, the track width is excellent!
Ugandan Proverb

DADZSUN
Supporter

Another road session

Post by DADZSUN »

I threw another dozen hrs into the truck this weekend and the wiring is now almost done. It was one of those weekends where I actually got more done than planned so I decided to take the truck out for another spin.

Profile.jpg
Profile.jpg (67.38 KiB) Viewed 232 times

Fans, ECU, and main headlights are now done. I'm still trying to identify the dimmer switch wire on the stalk to activate the inner high beams via a relay. Fuse panel was powered up and I confirmed everything worked except the front passenger park lights - not bad! Hella headlamps with LED bulbs are BRIGHT. Hella horns are loud and sound good too.

FrontQuarter.jpg
FrontQuarter.jpg (108.48 KiB) Viewed 232 times

So a few thoughts on the outing:
  • It is NOT a quiet ride!! I can clearly hear the motor through the firewall despite ample sound deadening. When I hit the throttle the exhaust really barks despite cats, a long resonator, and reasonable muffler. The tone is not your typical VQ OEM gurgle (which I like), nor that high pitched aftermarket exhaust which everyone seems to hate, but more of a throaty V6. If it wasn't my truck I wouldn't have a clue there was a VQ under the hood.
  • The seating position/ride is VERY far forward in the chassis. I feel like there's a mile of car behind me. Very different than the 510.
  • Alignment is way off, the truck was tracking everywhere but straight.
  • The sun really shows how poor the bodywork is. Wow! I don't normally really care about that stuff but even I have a standard. That will need some attention next winter.
  • When I do get the steering straight enough and hit 3/4 throttle, this truck just barks, instantly spins the tires, and launches. I've never had a car this raw/fast before... man is it fun!!!
RearQuarter.jpg
RearQuarter.jpg (128.53 KiB) Viewed 232 times

The truck is back in the garage on stands with the wheels off. I've got another little list to hammer through before I try again in a week or two. So far, the 'shakedown' process has been quite reasonable which is nice.
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

iceman510 wrote: 29 Mar 2023 06:52 Looking good. My favorite Enkei wheel for larger diameters.
Thanks! They're pretty damn light too which is nice.

I was a little nervous getting 17". I feel 15/16" is the sweet spot on the 620, but they just don't have anything wider than 225 in those diameters with a reasonably short sidewall.
Last edited by DADZSUN on 02 Apr 2023 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

Edm620 wrote: 29 Mar 2023 18:08 I like how it's looking, the track width is excellent!
Thanks! Yeah, that was pretty much the exact size flares/track width I wanted for this sized vehicle. Those 2" rear flares barely clear the 255 (despite an et 63!) but thankfully the camber pulls them in as the compression increases.
Edm620

Post by Edm620 »

this truck just barks, instantly spins the tires, and launches. I've never had a car this raw/fast before... man is it fun!!!

Now THAT is a statement! :D
Ugandan Proverb

DADZSUN
Supporter

99% complete

Post by DADZSUN »

It's been almost 3 weeks since my last update and she's still not safetied/insured. Doesn't mean I haven't been busy! A steady 15 hr/wk trouble shooting various 'shakedown' issues. It's been bit of a drag but I've been kicking myself in the ass to get out and wrap this up...

First, I managed to kill the 15km-old alternator's regulator. I had defaulted to using the OEM wiring harness/connector - powered off the ECU. I'm guessing the way I wired the ECU it managed to turn off the alternator incorrectly, resulting in a voltage spike. Once repaired, I removed it from the OEM setup and ran a 'stand alone' - essentially a voltage sensing wire off the main voltage line, and the exciter wire runs off the ignition 'start' signal. Seems good now.

Next, the damn brakes have been a PITA. I'm not getting the pedal travel I expected, and there's a lot of line pressure, resulting in the brake lights randomly turning on (via a brake pressure switch). It turns out the the Tilton hanging pedal assembly has a cantilever-type motion where the upper brake arm pivots the opposite direction to travel. It turned out that my clearance was too tight between the pedal box bracket and firewall forcing the pedal to begin compression. Once I figured out the issue I added some clearance (read: hammer) and it seems to be moving freely now. It still needs another bleed or two but the path is clear. Added bonus: I rerouted the brake bias cable to a much shorter and efficient route.

I also realised that I wired the rear tail lights a little incorrectly. The brake signal was activating both the brake bulb and the parking bulb, so at night with the lights on it's hard to see when the brakes are applied (ignoring the VERY bright 3rd LED brake light). I rewired these to stand-alone and they seem to be good now - I've ordered new LED bulbs to ensure they are nice and bright. Pretty much everything in the truck is LED except for anything flashing.

I've also since added bracing from the exhaust manifold to the tranny to prevent any stress/movement cracking. Those manifolds would be a HUGE PITA to remove...

Even though I'm not much of a sticker guy, I felt it was appropriate to add these two.

20230423_191119.jpg
20230423_191119.jpg (215.4 KiB) Viewed 192 times

That brings us to this afternoon. I managed to get things wrapped up and take her out for a longer 20km spin. Wow. I'm not sure the adjective I can use for this machine, angry? attitude? You're not sneaking up on anyone with this thing! That VQ just pulls - no running out of steam in the upper RPM here. The other surprising thing is just how well it drives. Suspension is pretty much what I was hoping for (thankfully, given the somewhat imprecise measuring/fastening methods I used), with a firm but compliant ride. The lack of front & rear sway bars doesn't hinder turn-in too much (that mega long wheelbase really offsets any nimble ambitions anyway). Also, traction is shocking good so the rear stays planted and straight when throttle is applied - even on gravel! The viscous LSD seems to be healthy as I'm getting a nice twin patch... All in all, this makes for a super stable ride which is what I was aiming for. She's definitely does not pivot like my 510. No Solo2 ambitions with this ride. I feel like I'm riding in the front of a school bus if that makes sense.

So the plan going forward is to get the brakes firm, then I've got to get a safety, classic car/insurance appraisal, get it weighed for MoT and finally registered. I'm hoping this will be fast but likely expensive and time consuming. Stay tuned!
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

I won't believe it is running until I see a video with sound!
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

ostaylor wrote: 23 Apr 2023 17:22 I won't believe it is running until I see a video with sound!
Soon enough - another week or two?
DADZSUN
Supporter

635 goes out for weighing and safety

Post by DADZSUN »

I came across a locally available uhaul trailer for cheap and decided to act right away to begin the registration process.

Safety.jpg
Safety.jpg (69.53 KiB) Viewed 167 times

Insurance was surprisingly easy, they are willing to cover for original purchase price ($2K) and liability w/o an appraisal. That's a reasonable risk for me to take to ease the process until I have time to get it properly appraised.

CurbWeight.jpg
CurbWeight.jpg (98.01 KiB) Viewed 167 times

I first brought the truck to Boyd Moving & Storage where they offer precise weighing for $25 CAD, FAR cheaper and quicker that race scales. I came into the office hoping for no more than 2750lbs, and was 30lbs short. I was wishing for it to be 100-200lbs lighter to be honest. Note the truck has a large 19 gallon fuel tank that was completely full - that alone would add a chunk over OEM. Still, it's 400lbs lighter than a 350z so in the grand scheme of things I'm good with that. She's even lighter and more powerful than an S2000!

The truck is now at a buddy's shop to get the safety. Once done, there's still a few things to make it 'normal', the brakes are still a little soft, the electric fans need to be tuned for the right temp (currently they default to on 100% of the time), and the throttle calibration needs to be redone. That last step might be through Nissan, or Uprev/Osiris if possible.
Last edited by DADZSUN on 26 Apr 2023 18:02, edited 2 times in total.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

If you find the "throttle hang" is annoying, which I did on my G35, I bought a cool little device
called SPRINT BOOSTER

https://www.sprintboostercanada.com/?ht ... gJ2QfD_BwE

It sure cured my problem with the G35 throttle, which I hated when down shifting. It just plugs in between the pedal and the wiring harness, super easy. I still double clutch, so it really bothered me how bad the hang was in the throttle.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Edm620

Post by Edm620 »

Excellent! Did you also get F/R weights for bias?
Ugandan Proverb

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Not sure what you mean in this case!?
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer