Carpet choices 2022..?

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
DaveCarGuy

Re: Carpet choices 2022..?

Post by DaveCarGuy »

Pjackb wrote: 06 Apr 2023 08:00 following, I bought the same kit for mine
Are you planning a center console or no?
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

I have an opinion / guess, but waiting for @MikeY to weigh in as he has bought the same kit (many times I believe) and will know how to do this correctly.

I don't think using the "@" username thing works here - I know it is an option, but has to be added by the admin...
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
Pjackb

Post by Pjackb »

DaveCarGuy wrote: 06 Apr 2023 09:47
Pjackb wrote: 06 Apr 2023 08:00 following, I bought the same kit for mine
Are you planning a center console or no?
Yes center console ,
I kind of have no choice since I moved the automatic shifter from the steering column to the floor and using a 280XZ transmission and shifter
I'll need to figure something out and that includes a console

I did think of going without a console and would have to do similar to this , but not very practical with an automatic , but should give you a good template for yours
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

My son bought a carpet kit. But you still have to cut the shifter hole yourself. I just buy carpet and cut the tunnel peice myself. I use an old factory carpet as a template. For the floors I always use rubber mats. The early cars got a trim ring. But for later standard cars I have the metal that screws to the tunnel under the carpet and then cut a hole that fits under the lowest part of the rubber.
DaveCarGuy

Post by DaveCarGuy »

MikeY wrote: 06 Apr 2023 18:11 My son bought a carpet kit. But you still have to cut the shifter hole yourself. I just buy carpet and cut the tunnel peice myself. I use an old factory carpet as a template. For the floors I always use rubber mats. The early cars got a trim ring. But for later standard cars I have the metal that screws to the tunnel under the carpet and then cut a hole that fits under the lowest part of the rubber.
Thanks Mike (and Jacques above!). If you see the photo of my car's set-up (below), you see the screwed down ring surrounding the shifter. I'm wondering if the OEM style rubber boot sits down inside that piece of trim? Or is it in any way attached to that trim piece (as in Jaques photo above)? Seems to me that the rubber boot might be designed to just be shoved down inside that hole to it's first "fold" and the next fold might match up with the hole in the carpet ?
IMG_7308.jpeg
IMG_7308.jpeg (597.65 KiB) Viewed 165 times
Last edited by DaveCarGuy on 07 Apr 2023 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

There should be a thin groove in the rubber boot to slip into the edge of that metal trim piece. Then the carpet fits under the first fold. On a factory carpet the hole is sewn or is serged the right word. There are 2 styles of rubber boot, round and oval. You want an oval one. The early setup is nicer in my opinion. But you need the base and trim ring as a matched pair. And that takes the round boot.
DaveCarGuy

Post by DaveCarGuy »

MikeY wrote: 06 Apr 2023 18:48 There should be a thin groove in the rubber boot to slip into the edge of that metal trim piece. Then the carpet fits under the first fold. On a factory carpet the hole is sewn or is serged the right word. There are 2 styles of rubber boot, round and oval. You want an oval one. The early setup is nicer in my opinion. But you need the base and trim ring as a matched pair. And that takes the round boot.
You are a life-saver! Thank you, thank you! I couldn't tell if the rubber boot could fit under that trim ring, but I did just order the oval one from the Z Car Depot, so it sounds like I'm on the right track. Thank you SO much for your help!