Wtb inner fender wheelwell

Post your forsale and wanted ads
MikeY

Wtb inner fender wheelwell

Post by MikeY »

Futofab used to sell the wheelhouse for a 510. I have a friend installing new quarter panels on his 2 dr. He wants to do a good job, but is struggling to make and patch his rusty inner wheel wells. The drivers side he can live with. So we're looking for a very good used or a horders futofab pass side one.

Thanks
Mike
yenpit

Re: Wtb inner fender wheelwell

Post by yenpit »

Dave at FutoFab is a buddy. Z Car Depot contacted Musclecar GT in Asia who makes the panels for the 510 & "stole" the distributorship from FutoFab (ultimately by lying to Musclecar GT). Personally, I never liked the owner at Z Car Depot. That said, I HATE sending people to them, but I would rather see a 510 get repaired/restored properly. Z Car Depot may very well have that piece you need, coming from the exact same manufacturer in Asia.
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I'm not in the loop but I've heard the one tool Dave paid to have.made and owns the rights to is the wheelhouse. And the min order makes it prohibitive to order a run. So I don't think we will see this part.
Z car depot has an impressive variety of parts. But when I hit shipping I gag and stop. Never could order from them. But I will go look.
Thanks
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

I no longer sell internationally, except selling on FleaBay, cuz they initiated their deeply discounted Global Shipping Program (GSP) about 2 years ago. I can not compete with the shipping discounts, but that is OK with me, cuz now all I do is ship to eBay customs in Kentucky! However, ANY shipping costs are going thru the roof here in the States, thanks to our illustrious current "administration" & the skyrocketing inflation! FJB :|

I'll chat with Dave........haven't talked with him in 6+ mo's! I was not aware that he "commissioned" any parts on his own, but perhaps he did!

Gerson at kfvintagejdm.com is aware of the need, but he is focusing a little more on the Z car parts/panels, as that is where the demand & money is! He & I talk 510 parts often & I strongly suggested this inner wheelhouse/wheelwell a while ago!

Have you tried the place in Australia? Sorry, I can't remember the name right now.............??
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Yup, Dave "owns the rights" to those panels, but the required quantity is hard to justify!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I understand Dave's position but a quarter panel without this is just kind of wrong. Any car that needs a quarter needs this. And every 4 dr I've worked on needed the lower dog leg that's part of the wheelhouse. But we're lucky to have anything. And I'm near the end of my restoration hobby/ job.
Nice to kfvintage take up the cause. After one more 510 I will switch to a few MGB's. Plenty of ill fitting parts for them. Lol
Thanks for talking to Dave. I keep hoping the need will someday match the min order.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

I've been in & out of the British parts industry for 38+ years! I started in the mid 80's, when many of the British repop parts were HORRIBLE quality! Over the years, many improved, then Moss started having most parts manufactured in Asia & more recently in CHINA! Sad to see how bad things are in that market now. I worked at a British shop here in Denver in 2013, when I first moved here. We see a British car at our shop every once in a while, usually go get parts there, if we need right away. Last year, I walked in, saw a HUGE pile of defective parts, jokingly said "Man, you are falling behind with your (defective) returns! Paul smiled, said "That pile is from the last few weeks! The bad quality of the repop parts today in the British industry (compared to 9 years ago) is unbelievable!" Another local British car shop owner buddy said the exact same thing! We have had defective parts here, that we bought from other suppliers that we had shipped in! Sad. BUT, you can buy almost ANYTHING for the MGB's!

Did you research the Australian 510 parts supplier, for that inner wheelhouse? I'm sorry I can't remember the name, but they DID have the "dogleg" panels............they might have the inner wheelhouse............??

I talked to kfvintage today. He has the inner wheelhouse "on his list of parts to make", but his honest answer was as I mentioned before........"The Z car panels are what are in high demand these days, cuz the buyers are willing to spend the money!" It is unfortunate, that some of the 510 buyers often balk at the prices of parts for their cars. I sell LOTS of 510 used parts. I often get asked for a better price. I'm always nice, but I usually decline a lower offer. Most will buy regardless, but some continue wasting their time, to search & save $10 or $20. Every once in a while, somebody contacts me later, says the part(s) they bought elsewhere were no good or incorrect & end up buying from me anyway. Live & learn!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I have a 64 and 73 mgb. I have been putting off restoring them as there value hasn't been worth the costs and effort. But I loved driving the 73, I've owned it sind 81. I love the pull handle, metal dash version. I have a 63 parts car so hope to make one out of 2 without too many aftermarket parts. Just need some sheet metal and all new upholstery.
I've been picking up heritage panels as they pop up second hand.
Cheaper 510 owners have been around since they came out. Lol. But some are seeing the value in restored car done right. I do one a year and have more in the cue than I will be able to get too. But it does get expensive. Luckily 2 owners took my advice that buying a relatively rust free car in California was better than the expense of rust repair.
I assume the place in Australia gets the panels from muscle car. Old car company or something like that. There was someone else making a few patch panels. But have looked into them lately.
It's too bad the mold or press is sitting there unused. I knew I should have built up a horde of part earlier. But I'm not wealthy. Hindsight is 20/20. I do tell potential customers to buy whatever they might need that's available asap. It helps spread the pain of cost out and insures they have what they will need. And it they don't yes them they are money in the bank. Told my first wife many times. These are investment grade parts as I picked up nos from Nissan 20 years ago when they will had some stock. Again wish I'd bought more.
Thanks for reaching out to ask. A bug in an ear sometimes can't hurt.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

No, the Aussie company was making their own patch panels.............I bought a car set a number of years ago, they were all hand made (not stamped like kfvintage) & in grey primer. I don't know if they make the inner wheelhouse, but ya never know! FYI ll of the Musclecar GT panels are OEM style, in black electrostatic primer...........they never made smaller patch panels, which is what most people need! I think in the end, kfvintage will be very successful with his panels! 8)
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Back in the mid 80's, while working at a British resto shop, the boss would hand me the new Jaguar (all British) price book, tell me to highlight all of the marked "sell down" part #'s, then he & I would review & buy what we figured we needed, sometimes buying ALL of the inventory of any given part! He was primarily MGB & Triumph. I was a Sprite/Midget guy, he would overlook the Spridget parts, so at one point, I bought out ALL of the 73-74 "round wheel arch" Midget rear 1/4's, tail lamp panels & some rocker panels. I stored them for a couple years & that became my first purchase & flip of NOS parts! Our Jaguar dealership in Laurel MD, had an old school parts manager (Mick I think was his name!) & always helped us with our MG/Triumph needs! The good ol' days!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!