Possible better alternative to 280ZX struts found

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Possible better alternative to 280ZX struts found

Post by bertvorgon »

What this site has been through, since Spencer started it, you could write a book about.

Our road trips and adventures, races, other competitions, hikes and bikes, losing good friends, characters that have come and gone, a 510 just the flavor of their day, technical stuff as good as any out there, from very knowledgeable 510 guys!

A few over the years have burned their bridges so to speak.

I have written many stories over the years, some I hope with lots of humour, as that gets us through anything. I really miss the original group of 510'ers, as we raced together, hiked and camped, and, of course, some of our truly crazy Cannonball drives. There was one that I still cannot believe we did on the Duffy Lake Road.

I have now played with 510's for 53 years now and would NOT change anything...except being wise enough to lay in some parts and I should have bought many of the Nissan Close ratio boxes that I got for 700 when Nissan blew them out......
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

My first Datsun, a 510, was 47 years ago followed by a B-210 and a 521. Then about 5-6 years when I despaired of ever seeing another till my 620 came along and haven't been without an L series Datsun since.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

ostaylor wrote: 13 Jan 2022 16:10 You guys are funny - almost wish I had been a member for longer :^).
Oh god, there’s been some past drama I’d rather not discuss again! I was away for a few months and missed this one till today.
Funny thing is, many years ago I documented a pile of struts, measuring every angle, length, bore diameter… it was comprehensive…
Like everything I learn about 510’s, I try to document it here for everyone to have.
Here is what I have learned about struts. And as noted in the past, I have had my hands on every ZX strut, the unicorn 79 R&P, the turbos and everything in between - all ZX struts had the same spindle angle. It was fun compiling this information many years ago.

https://the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?p=270146#p270146

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

I just found this post & read thru it! Hilarious! :lol: So, where did "broke" go...............?? :wink:
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
510rob

Post by 510rob »

You guys are wrong about Julian. We never banned him. I like Julian and if I have to ask him a question, I will send him an e-mail. He works to very high standards and has achieved a lot. He expects others to work to a similarly high standard, which is where the friction stemmed from at times. I got heat from Julian as well, but all that did was make me double check my own work; there is nothing wrong with that and I appreciate the criticism because it means someone cares enough to point out that I might have fucked something up. I still have the utmost respect for him.

Julian left this site because someone wrote threats of physical violence towards him in a thread and no one stepped in to highlight that things had (clearly) gone too far. That is what really happened.

Also, on a different note, I got banned from the Bluebirds list many many decades ago for being inflexibly insistent that I was right and for being aggressive about making sure the other guy knew he was wrong. Since then, I have learned a bit more tact, plus some good quotes!

“Be tolerant with others and strict with yourself.” – Marcus Aurelius
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

" Know your enemy like yourself" -Sun Tzu
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

510rob wrote: 14 Oct 2022 22:58 Also, on a different note, I got banned from the Bluebirds list many many decades ago for being inflexibly insistent that I was right and for being aggressive about making sure the other guy knew he was wrong. Since then, I have learned a bit more tact, plus some good quotes!

“Be tolerant with others and strict with yourself.” – Marcus Aurelius
That must have been a REALLY long time ago. I don't recall anything like that. There has been no one with a heavy hand of ban for many years, at least not since someone had the temerity to say something politically conservative and riled up the west-coasters.

Most everyone on there is too old to fight about anything anymore. :D Just trying to get our projects done before we die.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

iceman510 wrote: 17 Oct 2022 14:13
510rob wrote: 14 Oct 2022 22:58 many many decades ago for
That must have been a REALLY long time ago. I don't recall anything like that. There has been no one with a heavy hand of ban for many years, at least not since someone had the temerity to say something politically conservative and riled up the west-coasters.

Most everyone on there is too old to fight about anything anymore. :D Just trying to get our projects done before we die.
Yes, maybe 20-25 years ago? Does that time-frame even make sense though?
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Probably? I think I started on there about 1995. Can't recall exactly when it migrated to Google, but that has probably been 10+ years.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. However if you survive your 'know it all' period and keep learning about something, slowly you come to the conclusion that there is a staggering amount more that you don't know.... will never know.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

the more you learn, the less you know