510 Windshield Wiper help

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
bradicuss

510 Windshield Wiper help

Post by bradicuss »

'72 2dr 510
My wipers only have 2 speeds...slow and stop. They don't change speeds when switched to high so maybe the switch or a ground?

I remembering them being slow when I was driving the car 25 yrs ago but not this slow. Am I better off just doing a conversion with a Honda motor?
MikeY

Re: 510 Windshield Wiper help

Post by MikeY »

Sometimes it's not the motor, it's the pivots. It can be tricky to remove them. The little nuts can be stubborn and easily snap the studs when trying to remove them. Heat helps but damages the paint. Soak and go slow. Then disassemble and regrease. Maybe disconnect the motor and see how stiff the linkage is first. Even the grease in the motor gearbox can dry up. But a new motor is always going to be better than stock
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

This thread suggests letting it run more.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=34642
bradicuss

Post by bradicuss »

The motor runs fine on slow, and I might be able to live with the thing if I could get it to run on high. I've had the motor off a few months ago and things seemed to be moving fine linkage wise, but I did not take it apart or rebuild it.

I have a feeling my time would be better spent converting it over on this one.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Likely the wiper wheelboxes (pivots) are seized up. I have learned to use my small Dremel cut off disc, very carefully slice down one side of the tiny 8mm nuts, then twist off. If you "attempt" to get the nuts off as is, you will likely twist the tiny threaded stud, or you will just break them!

Once off, the pivot has a tiny C clip that you remove, pull the pivot off of the pivot shaft, clean, regrease, reassemble.

There is a 94-01 Integra wiper motor swap that works well. If you are NOT good at electrical, buy a good USED motor.........the made in China NEW repop wiper motor does NOT have properly color coded wires, so can be a challenge to figure out (I bought & returned a NEW repop, went with a good USED!)
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
bradicuss

Post by bradicuss »

Thanks Yenpit,
I picked up an integra motor and hope to wire it based on this thread:

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... 0&start=15

Someone did the work and documented it and my motor looks the same. I'll try to follow it and cross my fingers that the wiring is the same.

Nothing seems to be seized...it works fine on slow though I still have no high speed which could be a switch?
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

I found updating the alternator does wonders for such electrical accessories, like the windshield wiper motor. Oh, and also cleaning out the 50+ year old grease and re-greasing it up.
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

bradicuss wrote: 21 Sep 2022 09:21 Nothing seems to be seized...it works fine on slow though I still have no high speed which could be a switch?
Sounds like a decent hypothesis...recheck after replacing motor.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

bradicuss wrote: 21 Sep 2022 09:21 Thanks Yenpit,
I picked up an integra motor and hope to wire it based on this thread:

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... 0&start=15

Someone did the work and documented it and my motor looks the same. I'll try to follow it and cross my fingers that the wiring is the same.

Nothing seems to be seized...it works fine on slow though I still have no high speed which could be a switch?
Stu (he posted some info in that thread & linked to his thread, illustrating the further mods) ended up with the best detail, which included modifying the 510 link arm to get the wipers to "park" much better. I've done two Integra upgrades, but both cars owned by a buddy that did not care that the wipers parked a little higher up on the glass. My newest 510 that I got a few months ago, I will take that further step that Stu made to get them to park better!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
bradicuss

Post by bradicuss »

I'll see how high up they sit....will probably modify the bracket in the long run as they'll drive me crazy if I have to look thru them.
bradicuss

Post by bradicuss »

Finished the conversion to the Integra motor. It was quite easy and straight forward. The blades sit a bit higher but I was able to adjust them so I think I can live with them.

Everything worked well so I wired in the old ZT-101 aftermarket wiper delay. Perfect! Ready for the Pacific Northwest winter.