510 seat belt kit

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
iceman510

Re: 510 seat belt kit

Post by iceman510 »

Here are some pictures of my test installation. I bought the 52210 Seatbelt Planet kit.

I added a nut plate rearward of the stock lower location (stock to the right, addition to the left):

lower bolts small.jpg
lower bolts small.jpg (306.88 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

Installing the retractor to the rear to clear seat positioning (I moved the static seat position further rearward than stock. Using 92 BMW E30 seats).

seat belt lower.jpg
seat belt lower.jpg (335.8 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

Upper bolt is in the stock position above the B-pillar. The center of the holes is approximately 2.5 inches rearward of the door flange (to the right in the picture). I did not measure the height because on the curve it is tougher to measure. You should be able to find it by feel.

sbelt upper 2 small.jpg
sbelt upper 2 small.jpg (251.37 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

Here is the measure of the drop. From the bolt centerline to the belt drop loop is about 11 inches, the loop to loop measurement about 10 inches.

seat belt index small.jpg
seat belt index small.jpg (246.8 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

Hope that helps. Questions? Ask away.
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

They look great. How are they functioning?
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Given this is a work in process, and only the passenger seat has been installed so far, I would defer final judgement. But, I can say that on the passenger side the fit with either the seat all the way back or forward seems to place the belts properly on the pelvis. I used the wire stalk buckle sides (12" long I think), mounted to the original floor bolt holes with L brackets.

On the shoulder belt, with the seat all the way back it rides a little to the outboard side off my shoulder at times. When further forward it does not see to be much of an issue. My torso and shoulder are back as far as the B-pillar or even a little more rearward in that situation.

I will note that I am 6'2" (1.9m for you canadians/canadiens), so I mounted the seats with rearmost position further back than stock. The Bimmer seats have tall bases so they are mounted to the floor with custom brackets/short risers, not the stock risers. That is a whole separate story.
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

I ordered the same front ones from Seatbelt Planet today and also added the rear ones. They were very helpful. He didn't realize that the pictures still hadn't been updated so he is going to take new pictures when mine are built and then update the website. I'll have to plan for the addition of the rear nut plate.
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Yeah, we'll see. I had that same conversation with him back in May or June when I ordered mine. They don't show the shoulder drop for that part number. Hopefully they will actually get it updated this time.

Basic black?
MOJOJOJO78

Post by MOJOJOJO78 »

Hello everyone,
I have been looking at putting in 3 point retractable belts in my 4 door sedan. I bought a set for another car from seatbeltsplus.com. They are nice and they do have a set with the drop down. But they don't come with the mounting hardware. I found the nut in the headliner. Does anyone know what the thread size is and where I can buy this one bolt? Most bolts that I have found for the 3 point seat belts are 1/2-13 threads. I was thinking on the 510 it would be metric size thread like a 12-1.25 or something like that.
https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/310CLL-Black.html
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I recently purchased a set of front belts from Seatbeltplanet.com/i-304994. The biggest issue I'm having with mine is the metal oval loop that attaches both the drop-down and shoulder belt keeps going vertical on me and won't stay in its fixed horizontal position. This causes both the drop-down and shoulder belt looped material to the metal oval ring to bind making it impossible to pull the shoulder belt across. I have to straighten up the metal oval loop before putting on the belt. I'm thinking I may sew the drop-down loop tight against the oval so the belt material can't collapse letting the oval loop go vertical, any other ideas or anyone else have this issue?
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

I have not had that issue, but have not used them much because the vehicle is not on the road yet. Sewing or clipping it in some fashion sounds like a possible fix.
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Lou, I thought of this the other day. I bought some of these replacement button stops for one of my cars that was missing one. Worked great. This could hold the belt sides together on the upper half and still be removeable if desired.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... sacat=6000
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

iceman510 wrote: 14 Sep 2022 04:33 Lou, I thought of this the other day. I bought some of these replacement button stops for one of my cars that was missing one. Worked great. This could hold the belt sides together on the upper half and still be removeable if desired.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... sacat=6000
Thanks Iceman those would work but I've already remedied the issue.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

What did you decide to do Lou?