Stock Brake Rotors

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
James

Stock Brake Rotors

Post by James »

I was posting on Rush's project thread and the topic of stock rotors came up. I have been wondering what getting run of these made would entail? Are they something that could be fabricated on a small scale? I know nothing of the metallurgy, process etc., but I know there are people on this forum who might lend some insight as to what something like this might look like. I know most people have upgraded their brakes - but some of us are still running stock brakes. I was just hoping to start a discussion to see what was possible.
Finished is better than perfect......
MikeY

Re: Stock Brake Rotors

Post by MikeY »

Rotors came up in a conversation with Andy at speciality a while back. He mentioned this place could have them made. I laughed a bit at the price..I'm still a old school cheaper 510 guy. But times are changing. And maybe $215 usd each isn't so bad. Maybe there is a group way to make a bulk batch. In any case here's a link
https://www.colemanracing.com/Brakes/Br ... -And-Rotor
James

Post by James »

That's a start! Thanks for the link. Useful. I wonder if we got a situation where we could get 10-20 sets made, if they would drop the price as you said. I imagine some of the cost is in the set up.

And I agree with you on being a cheaper 510 guy - but then I look around I think everything is crazy expensive - so why not $215 each? Is it crazy? I feel like I don't know any more. A set of those would cost more than a few of the 510's I've bought.

It would be good to get an idea of potential interest? Is it also true that the ZX brake parts supply is drying up?
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I've been preaching grab parts while you can for years. Zx stuff is also drying up. Calipers are not available and rotors can't be far behind. It's a bit of a sore spot now when someone dosent have. One son has a 510 with zx front brakes. Oh I don't need parts. I will just upgrade when I need too. And the other has a zx. Absolutely no interest in 15 years down the road. And here I am buying parts for both. I can only hope to live long enough to sell to them. Lol
my current build is getting stock brakes so we can run 13in stock rims. I have managed to dig up rebuild parts for the calipers and a pair of rotors. So they won't get stuck many years from now.
I'm not sure what the manufacturing process for those rotors is. But if they are CNC machined from billit I don't see much saving in a bulk order. If they were cast and then machined maybe.
In any case I've got a horde. I took my advice.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Mike, I think you hit the nail on the head, here. It's not just the rotors, the callipers and bits are also not available. Seal kits are out there, but I often wonder how old they are. I have a few, but I bought them 20 years ago. How good is that rubber today?
I know I can machine up new pistons being the machinist that I am. But if I was doing this for someone on my manual machines - even at basic time, the finished part would cost prohibitive. But I would do it if someone asked me to.
Regarding the production of new rotors, they would have to be cast somewhat close to their final dimensions and then finish machined to size. This gives the best grain structure (so they don't warp). The casting guy I use generally works with aluminum and bronze. I'd have to check if he could do cast iron. The melting points of iron are much higher. Mike also knows him. But that's my only contact in the casting world.
On the machining side, certainly, a cast blank could be made into a part, but at $215 a piece already available - I think that's a good deal given this alternative.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

If you guys are concerned about casting rotors, get Coleman Racing in the US to make them. They make rotors all day long, so to speak...

https://www.colemanracing.com/Brakes/Br ... ake-Rotors
James

Post by James »

So - just for interest I contacted Centric (who owns stop tech) to see what their min. would be. 10,000 units. I asked about cost per - have not heard back. I also reached out to Coleman racing just to see if there would be any benefit from ordering larger qty's. So - going forward once everything is gone (we are just about there), the only option would be to use an aftermarket caliper and rotor. Likely hard to pull off in something that will fit under a stock wheel....Will report back if/when I hear more.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

I save every stock 510 rotor that appears "good", then eventually get them measured, cut & for sale. I have a few right now, just haven't had measured & cut yet. PM if interested!

We use Coleman for custom racing rotors & have used them on a couple street cars where replacement rotors are stupid money. They are not cheap, but I bet you are right........I bet they could make some :?:
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

The largest cost of doing this would be tooling. I would think the major component suppliers would still have the tooling even if not used frequently. This should lower initial cost. That would be something someone like Coleman might not have unless they have produced them before.

One thing I learned in the OE side is that there are not that many different foundries casting the blanks.