Ride Height

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Ride Height

Post by PMCS Rally »

My '71 4-Door is finally roadworthy. Suspension is stock and only shock absorbers were replaced with new ones. Nothing fancy.

After short drive I noticed that passenger side is lower than driver side. It is visible and right side is about 20 mm lower than left. It looks like right rear suspension is sagging. Strange thing is it becomes leveled after parking overnight in garage. What should I check? Installation of shocks are OK. I am suspecting rear coil spring and rubber seats (both original untouched).

Any advice or suggestions is appreciated.
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Ride Height

Post by datzenmike »

Shock absorbers by themselves have no effect on ride height. When you check the ride height find somewhere that is level or check then turn the car 180 and check again.

What shocks did you install? Are they gas charged?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Post by PMCS Rally »

I drove several times and measured using a long level on trunk floor and checked fender arch height. Garage floor has slight incline but is levelled left to right. The next day car is near perfectly levelled. That is the mystery. Replaced shock was oil filled.

This does not apply to this and I know everyone says shocks do not affect the ride height but from my past rally car build experience I saw some gas did on stock suspension.

Maybe I should remove the coil spring and rubber seat and see.
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The gas filled try to extend when released.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs