72 2 Door 510 Restoration-25 years in the making

View and post your 510 project(s)
Rush
Supporter

Re: 72 2 Door 510 Restoration-25 years in the making

Post by Rush »

I just made the wheel well covers. The most time-consuming part was cleaning up and unstitching a crusty old one for a pattern. I suggest soaking it in hot water after it's taken apart. Lay it on the counter & pat dry. This will help relax the vinyl and make it lie flatter. I made a paper pattern when I cut the first vinyl set, that way I didn't have to deal with that old crusty piece again!
Tip: the pieces are symmetrical so you can fold them in half, mark the center, trace half onto the new vinyl, cut that half out then flop it over at the center line & trace to make the other end. That way you're guaranteed to have a nice, equal pattern instead of trying to compensate for the wonky old wavy piece.

Old piece:

Old piece disassembled and new pieces cut. When you're cutting it apart note that there are 2 lines of stitching; one that holds the 2 pieces together and the other is the French seam. Carefully cut both and be sure to fold open the edge where the seam was before tracing it for your pattern. These have a 1/4" seam allowance.

New piece. Notice the French seam which gives it that nice, finished appearance.

The inside

I think I'll glue some 1/4" foam onto the wheel well under the vinyl. I'm not sure what was there before but I think there was something.

I'm super happy with how these turned out. The old ones always bothered me. Ick.
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

Very nice work! I'm enjoying your progress very much.
The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thank you! :)
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Awesome job Rush.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks! :)
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

More crummy weather so inside work again today. My cute little steering wheel was in super sad shape; the cover was cracked, split, and rotted all over the place & the foam inside had several gouges out of it. I had no clue how to fix it so I just took some measurements and looked at how the original cover was made & got after it! First I repaired the gouges in the foam using contact cement and pieces of closed cell foam which I then sanded to blend. That worked great.

Onto the cover. I used some leftover marine vinyl I have to make the cover and it came out really well. There are a couple of flaws but I think they'll mostly sort themselves out once the wheel is in the car, & sees some sun.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out; especially for not having a clue how to do the job! I'll probably get a bigger wheel at some point but in the meantime, this one will look nice and it was a good opportunity to teach myself a new skill!

Here are some pics of the process.

Last edited by Rush on 21 Aug 2022 08:13, edited 1 time in total.
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

Nice work! I had a tiny wheel similar to that back in the 90's, but that wasn't on a 510 and the car had power steering.
The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks!
As I recall, the steering puts up a pretty good fight between the 12" steering wheel and the 215/50/13 tires. Since they don't make those tires anymore it looks like I'll have to go with skinnier ones, unfortunately, but it'll probably make it a bit easier to steer. I love the look of the tires that are on the car & I have absolutely no clue what to replace them with.
I haven't driven the car since I was a "kid" so my memory is a tad fuzzy.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

The weather was perfect today; 86º & sunny so I installed my DIY headliner! It came out flawless! The process was simple and it went in perfectly. I'm super happy with it.

Headliner laid out on the table to relax in the sun before installation.

Me relaxing in the sun before installation. Ha!

After clipping the entire liner in place to make sure it was centered, etc, I glued it in sections. I marked where the edge was on the back of the headliner with a pencil so I could easily see where to apply the adhesive. Way easier than just guessing!

These pics are of the corners, where it was most likely to wrinkle. Nice & smooth. Yay!

I couldn't have asked for a better process and result. I'm just tickled with my custom, DIY headliner and I'm really glad I tackled the job.
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Fantastic job on the car. Your sewing skills are amazing. That headliner is perfect!

If anyone wants to try doing a steering wheel but doesn't have Rush's skill set, check out this video...long but it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODcGWn9 ... QfFtTmvgLL
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thank you! It was a very satisfying part of my build. Little victories definitely help keep me motivated.

I wish I had seen that video before my steering wheel project. Lol! At least then I'd have had some idea of what the process was.
gooned

Post by gooned »

Wow on both the steering wheel and the headliner, not many can homebrew those results!
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks, gooned!
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

I didn't get a whole lot done today but I did my pillars. It's simple but super fussy because I have to keep cleaning my hands so I don't get the white vinyl dirty! Haha! I think I cleaned my hands with alcohol about 100 times today! I need a manicure. Bad!

Just a few pics.

Enthusiastic helper. This time, supervising from the garage.
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

WOW, uou are the master of many talents!

very nicely done!!
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.