High Beam Headlight Fitting

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
PMCS Rally
Supporter

High Beam Headlight Fitting

Post by PMCS Rally »

I am having a problem in fitting high beam headlight on the bucket of '71 stock 510. Three notches on headlight and bucket don't match. I tried generic ones like Sylvania 5001 but the result was the same. I thought these headlights are of all common spec. No issues on low beam and fitted perfectly. Am I looking at wrong type of headlight or doing something wrong?
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
MikeY

Re: High Beam Headlight Fitting

Post by MikeY »

Sounds like you have mismatched buckets. It's hard to put a set of 4 together. They all look similar but all 4 are different.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Here are pictures of high beam buckets. You might be able to see the Id marks l-1 and r-1 on the back lip. Some are marked a-1 and b-1. And usually you need to clean them up to see the stamped marks. As well there are 2 types. Shown in the pictures. The flat lip and rolled lip. I have extras, as you can see, but not a matched lip pair. If need be I would mail you both for postage. I'm in b.c. Canada.
Attachments
headlights1.jpg
headlights1.jpg (191.69 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
headlights2.jpg
headlights2.jpg (195.97 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
headlights3.jpg
headlights3.jpg (160.5 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Post by PMCS Rally »

Thanks for your info. So 5001 should fit on high beam bucket (back in old days I remember it always was a simple swap to H4). Mine came on stock 510 and I do not see any signs of tampering. I will double check tomorrow. Right now the headlight fits on High Beam Bucket only if I rotate the headlight 90 degrees to radiator direction.
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

That's sounds like the bucket is swapped left to right or vice versa.
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Post by PMCS Rally »

Thanks for your advice.

I looked at my bucket and it is totally different (notch position) from your photo. Considering the location of spring hole and 12 o'clock slotted screw hole on a bucket, each bucket has its own mount position and will not fit on the other side. I have another set of (rusty) spare buckets and it looks same as this. The only way to fit high beam is to rotate the lamp 90 degrees. I've tried Phillips, Sylvania, GE, Bosch, Hella, and Cibie and the result was the same. Maybe I should try Koito :-)
Attachments
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (1).jpg (55.22 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (52.24 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

It's the bucket not the bulb. That's a left HighBeam bucket on the right holder. Here is a picture of a l-1 on the right side. Rotated to fit the adjustment screws.
Attachments
headlights4.jpg
headlights4.jpg (193.62 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Post by PMCS Rally »

Thank you again. You were right. High beam buckets were on the wrong side.
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

So since it seems you have a resolution-forgive the intrusion on the thread.

For those who may have had headlight mounts and buckets, etc. replated, do you need to remove the headlight adjustment screw grommets, or can you leave them in? If removed, I suspect they won't survive. Are there available replacements? Z car versions work?

Thanks.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I bead blast the mounts and buckets. But leave the plastic adjusters in place. I've left them in and had them returned changed but not ruined. It's when they over dip in cleaners/acid that damages them. So prep the part and ask for some care when cleaning. Now they come back just fine. I do this approach for parts with what seems like lead rivits. The bearing in the top of the wiper motor and the piviots on the wiper linkage dissolved first time. So now I seperate the parts I want them to take a little care of. And the nicer job I do of prep keeps more of the job in my control.
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Post by PMCS Rally »

One of my white plastic grommets disintegrated by age and I replaced it with a small piece of black rubber hose like a sleeve (tight fit in the hole) and it is working just fine.
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Thanks Mike. Good advice. I will also confirm with the plater if that is a feasible method for them. I need to recheck with them how much part cleaning I need to do as I can't remember what he said.
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

PMCS Rally wrote: 02 Aug 2021 10:08 One of my white plastic grommets disintegrated by age and I replaced it with a small piece of black rubber hose like a sleeve (tight fit in the hole) and it is working just fine.
What keeps the hose in place to allow the threading of the screw to actually tighten or retract the bucket assy?
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Post by PMCS Rally »

If you pick a rubber hose with right ID and OD, it will fit very tight on the hole and the screw will "tap" the hose. Mine is securely tight and the bucket won't go loose.
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

To the OP im not trying to high jack your thread just trying to get an understanding on the bucket orientation. I just upgraded my bulbs to LED and I noticed that my buckets were passenger side B2 B1 and drivers A2 A1. This thread was fresh on my mind, so before I went any further by putting the lights back on I wanted to make sure the orientation of the buckets is as follows. Is this correct ? Or is it A1 B2 AND A2 B1?
Let me know fellas thanks.

Imageimage0 7 by v p, on Flickr
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !