Driveshaftshop.com axles ?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Driveshaftshop.com axles ?

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Sup fellas anyone running a set of these axles in there 510? If your running these please chime in. Let me know how they are working out for you. Interested in there R180 set up.

Thanks in advance. :mrgreen:
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
2DoorJim
Supporter

Re: Driveshaftshop.com axles ?

Post by 2DoorJim »

I believe somewhere on their site it says our axles are guaranteed not to break. Well, they won't break because they are heavy. I realized after the fact the axles are built to withstand slicks and drag car launches. They use the 108mm CVs which in my opinion are overkill for a for a 250ish hp light car such as a street going 510, which in my case never sees hard launches.

Seeing the usual CV adaptors made from aluminum made me weary about their longevity. The driveshaft shop uses alloy steel throughout but reflecting back on this now I'd want 100mm CVs and give aluminum adaptors a shot. This is not to say anything bad about the driveshaft shop, they were excellent at communication, delivery, product (engineering) and delivering axles fully assembled ready for install. They are just overkill and it never crossed my mind to ask about cv size, or axle dia etc.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

2DoorJim wrote: 25 Apr 2021 09:30 I believe somewhere on their site it says our axles are guaranteed not to break. Well, they won't break because they are heavy. I realized after the fact the axles are built to withstand slicks and drag car launches. They use the 108mm CVs which in my opinion are overkill for a for a 250ish hp light car such as a street going 510, which in my case never sees hard launches.

Seeing the usual CV adaptors made from aluminum made me weary about their longevity. The driveshaft shop uses alloy steel throughout but reflecting back on this now I'd want 100mm CVs and give aluminum adaptors a shot. This is not to say anything bad about the driveshaft shop, they were excellent at communication, delivery, product (engineering) and delivering axles fully assembled ready for install. They are just overkill and it never crossed my mind to ask about cv size, or axle dia etc.
Thanks for the info 2doorJim,
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I had a set with aluminim adapters. They loosened up every time I checked on them. No thanks. I pulled them and put stock axles back in. To scary always having them come loose.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

I have had a set on my 510 for the last 8 years or so. The only issue that I have had is that I have had to replace the boots a few times, but this is mainly due to my car being lower than most. I am running a Subaru R180 and like that the DSS kit minimizes the number of adapters needed to make this work. Never had a problem with them loosening up.

In terms of them being overbuilt, I am OK with that. They have survived multiple autocross seasons with hard launches running Hoosier A7's (pretty much the stickiest radial out there) without any problems. I would definitely buy them again if the need ever arose.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Great info here. Thanks fellas
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
cartel

Post by cartel »

I have dss in both cars.. haven't driven yet. but look nice..
adapters are steel.
I have a set of alum I would sell

if u want dss text me
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie