iceD

Re: "The Shed"

Post by iceD »

how about galvanizing

ice D
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

So, I have to admit I totally dropped the updates on this thread, halfway through the project. But there is good reason, and it wasn't for me being lazy.

My neighbours behind me are, let say, challenging. First, they didn't like that I took down some shrubs, bushes and trees where my shop was to sit at the back of my property – adjoining the back of their property – we share the fence line. The trees were evergreens, and about 40-50' tall. He complained that it was now too open.
I had the lot surveyed, as it was needed for the garage permit anyways, but also to establish the exact legal fence line to save the argument. This guy had been using a chuck of my homes property 20’ deep by 60’ wide for 18 years. He wasn’t too happy to have this repealed. I asked the neighbour to split the cost of the fence. He refused, which I expected. But he demanded the type of fence to be built - which would not have been the most cost-effective option. So I agreed to pay for the works, including the post hole digger rental - if he helped me built it. Deal struck, we moved forward and put up the fence together. That part went ok, and I’d hoped that his hostile nature would calm down. But a few weeks later I asked him for the paint code he used on his side so that I could match it. I was met with nothing but anger (and no paint code) which was a sign of things to come.

From here on in, this neighbour in question registered multiple complaints with the city about noise while building the project. They even installed a day/night camera on an 8' pole pointed into my property - which apparently isn't illegal (but not very moral). Anyway, the city complaints went well from my side. The by-law officer came by, watched the project a few times, had no issues with the project in any way. He was friendly and just doing his job. I worked within the city guidelines, never pushing any limits. Besides, the goal isn't to make the neighbors angry anyway, and I have many. So it just makes sense.

For the neighbor in question, however, it wasn't good enough. He yelled over the fence, swore at my kids when they were in the back yard, even came up the driveway a couple of times and physically threatened me for completely pointless reasons - once right in front of my father - both times caught on home security. Long story short - they guys a dick, and a bully. And his wife shares the same attributes. His wife even cornered my wife in the grocery store one day - yelling at her. And for those that don't know my wife, she's quite small, soft-spoken and very kind-hearted. Next to this large, and very overweight woman yelling at her in the store, I'm sure it was a sight. Quite the pair, my neighbours are. This pair likely got what they wanted with past homeowners here through their bully actions, but I wasn't backing down for this pair.

My answer to the camera... I had to think about this for a while. So after about a year on film - which he should have caught enough footage to know that he had nothing on me, a plan was devised. I was restricted to a 6' fence. To buy cedars over 12' would have been costly, and honestly, I didn't want to maintain them. Then my work needed to replace their warehouse pallet racking with new seismic ones, and a plan fell into my lap instantly. I can't build more than a 6' fence, but I can build a 4' wide 15' high by 50' long "shed" across the back of the property. So I drew it up, asked my engineer to approve it, took that engineering drawing to the city and pulled a second building permit. Now, this didn't come without cost. The racking came free, but the engineer stated that the pad needed to be 22" thick to counteract the noted 5000 lbs capacity of each shelf on a free-standing structure, to meet earthquake code. So, $1500 for the engineer's stamp, $5k in concrete was needed. $3k in sheet metal and $1500 on door hardware and another $1000 in steel. I hired a contractor to help, my good buddy Glen. The footings were laid, additional drainage put in place, rebar wired up and the concrete poured. And I did the fence posts along the driveway while the concrete truck was here. A couple of weeks later we erected the racking in a day, and had it covered in sheet metal with sliding doors by that week's end, had the final; the inspection is done and closed that permit. So now I have more than enough outside storage for anything (the family bikes, the lawn and garden stuff, car parts) - out of sight, and out of mind. And I call it - the 'Iron Curtain' at it effectively blocks any view of my property from my nice, friendly neighbour and his camera. The camera came down a week later 😊

Once the shop was built, I had the final inspection completed. I moved in my milling machine and 2 lathes. Then I received a more official complaint from "a neighbour" from the city - stating that I was running an illegal machine shop and fabrication business. So now the bylaw officer has the task of proving one way or the other if the complaint to founded. And since the power wasn’t even hooked up to any of the machines at the time - that made his job really easy. And as he stated, there were no "products" in the shop. About 6 months later, I received a second complaint - apparently from another neighbour, regarding noise from an illegal business. I was on the phone with the bylaw office on the same day I received the letter. The office said he’d come out the next morning. Same by-law officer, same shop tour - BTW - still no power to any machinery - took 2 minutes and he said "I'm going to take care of your neighbour immediately. I don't have time for this!” It's the last I heard from the city, the bylaw officer - or that neighbour as a matter of fact.

Long story short, he'd moved the fence 20' across the property line some 18 years earlier, the house went through three owners, nobody stood up to him until I bought the place. But in the meantime, since this is a public forum, I had to quit posting updates that may have fueled the fire from his side. The last permit to pull was the 3 phase hook up of the machines, which took place last fall, the final completed just before COVID hit. I haven’t updated the thread since.

The garage was completed. Insulted with rock wool – with the biggest purpose to keep the noise inside the shop. I also sheeted with 5/8” drywall. I lots of lights in the ceiling, and placed pallet racking around most of the perimeter to keep “stuff” off the floor.

The in-floor heating is yet to be connected – being that winter is coming, it would be nice. But maybe next year.
I’ll keep updating now moving forward.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

Wow! What an ordeal! I'm sure the neighbors were disappointed about your new shed being built on the land they had squatted on for years. Building a positive relationship with the city and by-law officers will surely yield some assurance of long-term peace. Can't wait to see some photos!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

loungin112 wrote: 02 Nov 2020 10:41 Wow! What an ordeal! I'm sure the neighbours were disappointed about your new shed being built on the land they had squatted on for years. Building a positive relationship with the city and by-law officers will surely yield some assurance of long-term peace. Can't wait to see some photos!
I think that was it. I know she felt very entitled to the land. I asked if they wanted to buy it early on, she said they didn't need to- that it was already theirs by default.
It goes to show you where she comes from. It's interesting, to say the least.

I had a great relationship with the city throughout the whole project. The inspectors I found to be knowledgeable, and honestly, they were helpful. But I wasn't just building to minimum code, I was building beyond and constantly asked about the best practices. It's better in the long run. And for this I was rewarded with no issues through the whole process from the city.

Byron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

So back to updates in the shed.

I want to put an I-Beam trolly crane over top of both my lathes to aid in changing of chucks and moving steady rests around. It may even be helpful for holding loads over the ways when working, should the need ever be there.
To accomplish this, I felt a reasonable cost-effective way to do this was to use pallet rack end frames, as they could support far more load than I would even put on them over the later itself.

Due to the placement of my small lathe, I’ll need to place one of these end frames close to the gearbox end of the machine. There is a door to get to the quick change gears, which need to be modified so that I could lift the cover off without swinging it open – to save space.
So I removed the hinges and machined up a resting block in its place (red arrow). I then threaded an M6 hole in the middle of this block and screwed it into the old hinge holes.

From the photo below, you’ll see a v block rest (green arrow) and a micro switch that cuts out the lathe operation when the door is open and gear exposed (orange arrow).
IMG_4985 - 2.JPG
IMG_4985 - 2.JPG (173.49 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
IMG_4985 - 2.JPG
Next, I had to modify the front cover, to make room for the rod than needed to run from the block I machine to the outer cover, to secure it.
Grabbing the cover was no easy feat. The thing is the only sheet metal, so I machined carefully!
IMG_4985 - 2.JPG
IMG_4985 - 2.JPG
IMG_4985 - 2.JPG
Located and drilled the hole in the cover for the threaded rod to protrude, placed a lock nut on it, and I was good to go.
The V block that the cover rests upon on the front was more than enough for that area.
IMG_4985 - 2.JPG
Sorry about the multiple photos. I can't seem to change this. As I do a correction, it just adds another photo ;-/

Byron
Attachments
IMG_4990 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4990 (Medium).JPG (114.18 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
IMG_4989 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4989 (Medium).JPG (221.1 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
IMG_4988 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4988 (Medium).JPG (151.89 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
IMG_4987 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4987 (Medium).JPG (226.24 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
IMG_4986 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4986 (Medium).JPG (180.67 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The next item in the way is this electrical box. The box itself serves no purpose other than switching from the flush mount breaker panel to the surface mount 3 phase generator. The access door swung down on the hinges at the bottom and latched by a 90 degree twist of the black latch.
This was an easy fix. The hinges were removed, the cover taken off and I laid out and drilled four new holes, tapping the ones into the box and securing the cover with 4x M4 cap screws.
IMG_4995 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4995 (Medium).JPG (95.63 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
The item mounted on the RH side is the surge protector, a 30 amp unit protecting the phase generator. In the box, I would like to one day place a switch to turn on the 3 ph supply, as opposed to just throwing the breaker as I am currently doing. That's a project down the road.

A very rough drawing of the I been placement over the lathe and how it'll look. There will be another shelf above - because you can never have enough storage. There will be a trolly running along with the yellow I beam, with a chain hoist on it. I'll do the same idea over the big lathe. As it's 20' long, I may have to use larger beams. I'll have to look into weights panning 20'. I think a 1000 lb minimum is required.

That's about it for now.

Byron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

So the other new toy this past week was a find by my good friend Rob. And I have to tank Rob in advance for his extended troubleshooting help.

It's a Canox Sycrowave 300 machine, which is simply a badge-engineered Miller Sycrowave 300. The thing likely has many miles on it, but the price was good. Judging by the decals found inside, it spent the first part of it's life at Comusun Colledge, then was moved in 2000 out of that school to another shop, according to a Ron-Son's and Sons stage inside the machine. I purchased it from Advanced Flow Systems, a company that fabricates fuel cells and specialty pipeline equipment. And that guy said he bought from one of their millwrights. So the machine has been around, there is no doubt.
QDFK3584 - 2.JPG
QDFK3584 - 2.JPG (128.33 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
The thing is huge - literally the size of a good size refrigerator. And likely weighs 800 lbs!

I tried some test welding, but I don't yet have a pedal (remote) on the machine and can't seem to get gas flow beyond the 60-second post flow max. After trying a few things, and blowing the tungsten off the torch a few times, I'll wait until I have a pedal hooked up for further testing. An early lesson was figuring out the electrode negative. the Polarity on the machine is labelled Straight and Reverse. I felt reverse was likely negative - but no. That little error evaporated the tungsten and took a sector out of the gas lens. Whoops. I'll need to find some consumables anyway. the lens is bent, and the collet doesn't work so smoothly as a result. I likely could use a smaller cup as well on the end of the torch as mine is clearly 1" in diameter.

I did get a pedal, BTW, but it's got a newer 14 pin Miller plug. This Sycrowave is older, the build date is Jan 1997 and it uses a 5 pin connector. I have ordered the right connector, which oddly cost me more than the pedal - but that's ok. I'm expecting the plug today via FedEx.

Once I have it all here, I'll follow up.

Byron
James

Post by James »

I read your post about the city, neighbors with interest. I practice architecture an a beach community, in southern California. I guess on some level, I'm glad to hear that we don't have all of the entitled people here. I get involved in a lot of neighbor issues (our city requires neighbor buy off/board approval for most things), and I'm always amazed at how people want to handle their business with their neighbors. Why people want to fight, and create animosity with people they live next to, I will never understand. Its good the city handled it the way they did. It sure seems like you went above and beyond to try and work it out. Glad you got it built.
Finished is better than perfect......
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

James wrote: 02 Nov 2020 17:56 I read your post about the city, neighbors with interest. I practice architecture an a beach community, in southern California. I guess on some level, I'm glad to hear that we don't have all of the entitled people here. I get involved in a lot of neighbor issues (our city requires neighbor buy off/board approval for most things), and I'm always amazed at how people want to handle their business with their neighbors. Why people want to fight, and create animosity with people they live next to, I will never understand. Its good the city handled it the way they did. It sure seems like you went above and beyond to try and work it out. Glad you got it built.
You know, the funny thing is that I know the questionable neighbour is a handy guy. Had he played his cards right...
Two of my other immediate neighbours use the shop regularly for little thinkgs, and I have no issues with that whatsoever. I hold a couple car events a year and plug the street up on those two days (except this year) - and my neighbours all come over for a burger on us. What goes around, comes around.
But that one couple - well I guess they are a special case.
In my 6 years now in the house, I have talked to just about every neighbour within four or five houses of me in every direction, and they mostly just want to know what kind of cars I have in that shop - they are all nice, good working people that I stop and talk to any time I see them. I actually have a great neighbourhood, where people really do look out for each other. And that makes it all the better.
As far as the city goes, they did their jobs thoroughly. Had I been out of line, I have no doubt that I would have been called on it. In the end, I also think they handled the issue quite well, both at the engineering level and the bylaw level.

Byron
andrewm

Post by andrewm »

Did not know you had those troubles with the Garage being built! damn
1970 510 wagon ka24e-t
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Like James mentioned above, it’s interesting how some people just want to have a battle. Like I mentioned, had this one neighbour played his cards right, I would have happily given him access to my tools and skills. Anyways, I’m not worried. In the end, the garage was built, the city was happy and all my other neighbours and friends benefit :-)

My only wish is that I had more time to spend out there. But I did get on the drill press and the lathe yesterday and modified a set of rotors for my fathers buddy, who has a Ford 9” running the Chev 5 Bolt patter due to a front brake/suspension upgrade. I opened up the ID and drilled out the bolt pattern to clear the 1/2” studs on his application. I tried to talk him into bribing me the axles and I’d machine them down. But he said “in reality, he will likely not wear out his tear brakes in his lifetime, so the effort at this stage wasn’t worthwhile.” How can you argue with that logic I guess.

I do have a tool cage on another VW Golf coming up, and a good friend need me to build some rock sliders for his 2018 Taco. So I have jobs in the near future to work on.

I currently am remodelling a room in the basement, removed a few walls and am upgrading the Mechancial room with a new, high efficiency hot water tank. The gas fitting is coming over this morning to advise on that job. The wife and I spend half the day yesterday pick out tile that will cover the floor at the end of the job. Lots on the go ;-).

Byron
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Don’t forget frankenturbo consulting!!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)