Jeff's '70 2 Door

View and post your 510 project(s)
slowerthantime
Supporter

Re: Jeff's '70 2 Door

Post by slowerthantime »

Things have slowed down on the car. After a really slow summer I'm now almost too busy...not sure how long it will last but I'll take it.

I put an old block and transmission together so that I could position it and cut a new shifter hole (I patched the old hole so I could start fresh). The engine mounts are after market (from DAPS) fit fine but seem really tall compared to the old ones. I'm looking for an OEM set but can only find them in the States and wont ship to Canada. Anybody go any leads?

Also noticed that the left side engine mount bracket (the only one I have) is different to stock. Where there different versions? The tilt on the engine seems ok as the shifter lines up with the centre of the tunnel. OK to use it? Any measurements I should check?

Finding pistons was a bit challenging until I called Andy at Specialty. He got me sorted with JE and some other bits. He was also generous enough to spend some time on the phone with my local machinist who has lots of experience but not with L-Series.

Only other thing to show is the seats and harnesses installed. Now while I am waiting for an engine I can just sit in the shop and make race car noises.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Looking fantastic Jeff!

If it works out, we will arrive when you are ready for the first TD......I will be very careful...... :wink:
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Make sure to check hood to valve cover clearance. Even if there is some room when static, when the engine is running it rotates a bit and can bump the hood. Its known as the 2 liter dent. The engine can be lowered a bit by slotting the engine mount to block holes. But those aftermarket mounts are going to be an issue. Look for stock, new or used. They seldom fail.
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

I ordered some new mounts from Nissan Japan, they're in a box somewhere. Part Number was: 11220-A3500 and they're the same on mine left and right. They look different from yours, shorter.
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
abisel

Post by abisel »

I had a similar situation with engine mounts. The engine mounts on my L20B were worn and so I decided to replace them. I ordered new L20B mounts from Nissan, installed them but the top of the engine would hit the hood. So, I ordered new mounts for the L16 (they are shorter) and installed them. Now the top of the engine does not hit the hood.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Do not forget, that as you change the motor height, it is subtlety changing the driveshaft angularity. Once the engine is set, then you can check and adjust the diff or trans mount angle.

Just a thought.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
abisel

Post by abisel »

^^^^
Good point.
As I do plan to replace the transmission with a close-ratio '83 ZX 5-speed, I will then have a chance to double check the drive shaft angles and make adjustments as needed.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Also, don't be afraid to put some washers between body and trans mount if needed. I have done that and it makes fine tuning angularity simple, to the point that I am within 0.5 degrees, giving me a very smooth, high speed drive train. ( given that drive shaft is good.)

I got so frustrated with so called driveshaft shops and their so called balancing, that I had Specialty Engineering build me one in his lathe, to the point there are NO balance weights required. It is nice to start out with new universals too.

Keith Law
spriso

Post by spriso »

OEM 510 motor mounts are still in production and I picked up 8-more this morning:

I buy about 100 of these a year (for our SR20 roadster swap engine mount kits), and am pretty sure that we have single handedly kept this part still live in Nissan's system as we have bought hundreds and hundreds of them over the years...

If you really can't get them, let me know and I can get you set and send them up to Canada for you...

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Thanks for the tips on mounting the engine and transmission.

Michael, thanks for the offer. I ordered a set from the States, $178 Cdn with shipping :shock:
cartel

Post by cartel »

ouch...
i had a pair but never got around to sending you a message-- i hope that was 80 shipping cost as the mounts are 30.65 usd ea.. im suprised nissan canada couldnt order them for less
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Yeah, shipping was crazy.

My local Nissan dealer couldn't figure out what to do with the part number.
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

The OEM engine mounts arrived yesterday. Just to follow up on the differences between the OEM and aftermarket parts: Nissan mounts are 5mm shorter than the after market set I have from DAPs. The rubber on the Nissan part is also much more malleable than the aftermarket unit.

The aftermarket mount also has a pin/ raised part in the centre of the mounting face that interferes with the mounting surface on the crossmember.
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

It's engine time! Got a fun package today. Thanks to Andy at Specialty for the advice and help sourcing parts.

Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

Looking great! And great that Nissan still make thoseounts.