perhaps a silly question... but is this an OEM mirror?

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
shaddai

perhaps a silly question... but is this an OEM mirror?

Post by shaddai »

Every other 510 mirror I see looks different. This one looks like it's been on the car forever... but... it's different. I'd either like to find a replacement (or some replacement parts...) and a right side mirror... or junk it and go full fender mirror (although I'm still on the fence)

datzenmike
Supporter

Re: perhaps a silly question... but is this an OEM mirror?

Post by datzenmike »

I would say no. I think they were gray plastic not chrome

"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
shaddai

Post by shaddai »

it sure looks nothing like that, does it?
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

That is NOT an OEM mirror. That one has a chrome plated potmetal stalk, that is now pitted from age/oxidation. The OEM had a cast aluminum stalk with a plastic mirror head, all painted a light silver. Datzenmike's pic is the correct mirror for the 68-73 510. Have you pulled that one off? If so, did it expose a different screw pattern underneath? If not, then the mirror you have MIGHT have been installed at the dealer........but is NOT a Datsun mirror...........??
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

This is my 1973 mirror, plastic like Mike said,with metal body, I painted mine black, and, it is in stock location too.
Attachments
IMGP6326 (Large).jpeg
IMGP6326 (Large).jpeg (574.16 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
shaddai

Post by shaddai »

So I got curious today... and took the mirror off. And found this underneath... (of course I didn't take pics of the mirror half assembled... lol)

There were two screws clamping the base plate on... the middle two screws. So now there's four screw holes to patch if I go fender mirrors. Delightful.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

So if the two MIDDLE holes were used to mount the mirror in the pic, the mirror you just took off, then this looks like the 3rd mirror that car has had on it...........very common thing! I bet your mounting base plate is long with a long slot to fit lots of existing screw holes (a universal fir mirror) & I bet those two holes in the middle were for the OEM mirror (ie datzenmike & bertvorgen examples), the other two holes for the other aftermarket mirror used over the years. Yup, git out the welder!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!