To The Mountains I Go-September Drive 2020

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: To The Mountains We Go-September Drive 2020

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I am planning on fueling up at the chevron while on a drive Saturday morning also. If I happen to end up driving on your back bumper for a few hours Keith it is totally just a coincidence.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I pushed the car out today to fuel up with fresh 100LL Avgas and checked a few things out. What a nice day today, lets hope it holds till next Saturday.

The drive I plan on doing, at 23 MPG, will use 2 tanks of fuel in theory.

I think I will again top up in Merritt, I want to end up home with minimal pump gas/octane boosted fuel left in the tank. I always make sure the car is topped with Avgas for the winter, no pump gas, as it has so much crap in it.

When we leave Ashcroft will will stop at the settling pond for photo op, then head right to the Chevron in Merritt, then go for our picnic lunch at the rest stop...or....
Attachments
IMGP5924 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5924 (Large).jpeg (350.37 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
IMGP5922 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5922 (Large).jpeg (380.28 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I don't know if any saw the news this morning, or, were listening last night......WHY I want NOTHING to do with the Sea to Sky corridor. This is the third weekend in a row, where that bloody highway has had a major, traffic nightmare issue, let alone the mess at the Iron Workers bridge.

The highway was shut down for 6 HOURS...BOTH WAYS....from noon till 6 yesterday. A person in a Lamborghini, on a charity run with hundreds of other super car owners, managed to lose control, jump the barrier and smoke a family in a Toyota. Somehow in the fray a Range Rover was involved. Both are under investigation. I just wonder if the Lambo and the Range got into a pissing contest as to who could out drive the other.....I may be off base but......I have seen that happen with my own eyes over the years, let alone my own "adventures" in years past. (why I have my G35).
Attachments
Lambo crash.JPG
Lambo crash.JPG (105.78 KiB) Viewed 2461 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
GREG510

Post by GREG510 »

I was stuck in that traffic .hope all involved in crash ok.
Pic I took ad I passed by the accident
Attachments
20200905_201152.jpg
20200905_201152.jpg (380.65 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

was there an N on the lambo?
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Don't know if N on there. Police are looking at charging the two drivers with dangerous driving. I suspect my theory of the 2 getting into a pissing contest will be correct.

That group has a history of one of them getting caught for speeding on the Sea to Sky...which is just stupid, as the West Van police set up traps ,as they know the "EVENT" is going to happen. Traps set at Lions Bay and Porteau Cove, no brainers when it comes to sticking to the speed limit.

That all being said, we need to be very wise out there also!!!!

Keith Law
CP

Post by CP »

Keith,

That 45 gallon drum in the back of the mini-van looks like something out of Cannonball Run
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

If you only knew what has gone on in the past........ :twisted:

It is a 100 Litre drum, which I can squeeze 120 liters into, which gives me almost 3 tanks of fuel. 45 gallon drum is too big to move, used to have one, but then I had access to a fork lift, to get out of my van.

I always end the season with fresh fuel and leave the 510 topped right to the fuel cap, so no rust in tank. Avgas has little of the car gas components, so it burns very clean and has a long shelf life, so no gunk build up either.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

When you get poor fuel economy......we occasionally have had rolling bombs on drives......
Attachments
Think it might oversteer a bit?
Think it might oversteer a bit?
IMG_0654.JPG (150.15 KiB) Viewed 2357 times

Keith Law
CP

Post by CP »

LoL...Looks like most of the cars fueling up in Blaine when our gas prices are on the moon.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

No Kidding, I saw vans packed with fuel cans at times. Do not know how they got through Border some times.

Here is a small preview of my drive route on Saturday, this is looking up the Canyon towards Lytton, where I will hook right and follow the Thompson River. That stretch to Ashcroft is really scenic!
Attachments
Lytton Junction ahead
Lytton Junction ahead
Drive route.JPG (286.09 KiB) Viewed 2346 times

Keith Law
CP

Post by CP »

Its a beautiful place we live. Driven it many times although not in a 510. I was thinking of going for a casual drive this Saturday. Already talked to my brother about coming down from Williams Lake with his 911 and meeting up in Ashcroft for a visit and drive to together to Merritt. Haven't taken the 510 on a drive that far so am a little apprehensive, but..what the heck
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

On the odd chance and coincidence of us meeting...that is why a group is good.... SUPPORT!

It is to be almost 30C in Merritt on Saturday, so a good cooling system is key.

Just do a good nut and bolt check, clamps all tight, specially rad hoses.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

This is the CLOSED rest stop in Merritt, as you can see the closed gates, one of the dumber moves by Dept of Highways.

This is where I entertain to stop for my picnic lunch, lots of parking space and I can wander into site. Throw my lawn chair up and soak up some sun for an hour. I should hit this area about noon, after fueling up at the Merritt Chevron.

There is the ALLISON LAKE PROVINCIAL PARK on 5A which also could be a stop, at least washrooms there? who knows with the covid bs. We pulled in there one year for a break.
Attachments
Merritt stop
Merritt stop
IMGP3241 (Large).jpeg (548.53 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
IMGP3244 (Large).jpeg
IMGP3244 (Large).jpeg (496.39 KiB) Viewed 2301 times

Keith Law
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

Keith,is that the same rest stop that we stopped at heading up to knox in the G and the z? . Robyn will be my co pilot this saturday . looking forward to a good rip in the slime .
ding ding dong dong all night long long.