Battery ground cable location

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
paul97

Battery ground cable location

Post by paul97 »

I bought a 510 and the battery was located in the trunk and I am putting it back in the stock location and I was wondering where the battery ground cable attaches to in the engine compartment.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: Battery ground cable location

Post by Three B's Racing »

Personally I'd leave the batt in the trunk on passengers side at 1/4 panel for weight distribution and more space in the engine bay but its your 510. Ground the batt under the hood to the starter securing bolt.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

I like to run the ground to the magic bolt hole on the head were the lifting hook should be. then a ground strap from the top starter bolt to the top steering idle arm bolt and a second small ground from neg to captured nut on passenger strut tower.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Hard finding top post batteries. The last one was top and side and as our work truck was totaled I swapped for a year old side mount. For $10 at the wreckers I got both factory GM cables from a Pontiac Lumina van. It was FWD and the starter is on the front. Positive and negative cables reach all the way from the right to left side with the ground on the starter bolt. Put it on mine and wrapped with split harness covering. The cables are unbelievably thick. The negative cable also has a molded in body gtound which most replacement battery cables you can buy don't. It bolts to a lug under the battery box.

The smaller ground to the body is thicker than my original negative cable!!!

Ground on starter bolt and look at the thickness of the positive cable!!!
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
paul97

Post by paul97 »

Thanks for the info. Next question is do the terminals face the passenger fender or do they face the engine?
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Face the engine. Positive to the front.
paul97

Post by paul97 »

What does the stock battery hold down look like?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Here's the e brake...

"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

MikeY wrote: 21 Jul 2020 15:36 Face the engine. Positive to the front.
It you’re redoing the wiring, spin it around though. The top of the post gets pretty close to the hood. Or be sure you have a good boot covering it.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

The hold down is a metal rectangle. Held down by 2 jrods. Usually they are rusty by the positive post.
Attachments
IMG_20200722_084010549_copy_612x816.jpg
IMG_20200722_084010549_copy_612x816.jpg (75.76 KiB) Viewed 2982 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

datzenmike wrote: 21 Jul 2020 19:48 Image

Here's the e brake...

You’re fricking killin’ me Mike...
I had ‘t laughed that hard in weeks!

Thanks.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

You forgot bailing wire and duct tape hehehe.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Having been a "TECH" inspector at a ton of Solo events, I have seen every variation you can think of holding 510 batteries in place....holding being a loose term.

Bungie cords were of course the go-to hold down.

Over those years I saw where the "J"-rod had hit the hood at some point, frying the paint and harness.

We once had a fellow roll up to tech inspection and upon opening the hood, found that the battery had tipped over and jammed against the fuel pump......By the time we went through the whole car, it was deemed unsafe to Solo!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Byron510 wrote: 22 Jul 2020 22:10

Here's the e brake...

Thanks.

Byron
It's funny because not only is it true, it's something all Datsun owners can relate to.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Byron510 wrote: 22 Jul 2020 22:10

Here's the e brake...

Thanks.

Byron
It's funny because not only is it true, it's something all Datsun owners can relate to.

I never did figure out a tie down for my 521 battery in the mid '70s. Went around a corner and everything shut off. Pulled over and the truck is on fire. Popped the hood and the battery is beside the engine mount on it's side and burning plastic electrical tape. I get the battery righted and small fire out but it's smoking. I get back in fire it up turn on the lights (2 AM) and..... the gas pedal won't move. The positive battery post touched the body sheet metal and as most suspension parts are rubber mounted, body to frame, the only path to ground on the engine head was down the throttle cable heating it like a toaster. When shut off, the plastic cooled and welded the cable solid. I set the carburetor on the fast idle cam and started for home 15 miles away. Just outside of town the OPP pulled me over lugging along in 2nd gear on the shoulder. It's 3 AM now and I'm almost sober. He heard my story and offered to follow me the rest of the way and I politely declined.