SR20VET

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
icehouse

SR20VET

Post by icehouse »

After witnessing Sam's awesome VE plus T build and going for a ride I decided I wanted to try a VET.  Sam and I both want to build full on race cars.  How fun would it be to build a VET Racecar!  We did look into the K24 Honda engine it just seemed like a better idea to go with the VET since it's 280hp stock and I'm sure it will handle a few more PSI making it 300hp on a factory setup which will make it a reliable Racecar.  The K24 didn't come turbo so it's about 200hp.... not enough.  Since the VET's are getting so low in price especially compared to the DET's.  There are a list of things that need to be sorted out.  We will go over them in this thread.  

We each needed on of coarse so we had them shipped to work.

First issue is converting it to RWD manual transmission.  We wanted to use the RWD flywheel like Sam did.  One company that's working on the conversion.  Not sure if they finished it or not cut the flex plate starter gear off and welded it onto the RWD flywheel.  Since Sam already crossed this bridge we thought...  

Pulsar vs. VET bell pattern

few the same!

Aww and just like that there is the solution.  Sure glad we paid more for the engine that came with the MAF and starter....  

Two motors and 1 MAF we got...

Now to get a transmission to fit.  We do need to sort out the pilot bushing at some point.  This is a scan of the RWD block VS. FWD block.  Although in this shot they aren't clocked perfect (somehow didn't get a shot of them clocked perfect) You can see how lots of the holes do line up.  Since we don't really want to run a 71C since they are getting hard to find and these motors start 300hp we are going to skip to a bigger transmission that's easy to find. So the CD009 won. The Z32 was an option but it weighted the same as the CD009 120lbs.

In the rough scan above you can see the starter side is different. The FWD Motors differs by mounting the starter to the block not the transmission.

Sam doing some scanning.

Looks like it should work!

Test fitting. No adapter yet.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
cambo
Supporter

Re: SR20VET

Post by cambo »

This will be fun to watch. Good God that transmission is huge!
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Thought I would have to cut the lawn to find it but was almost in plain sight. Hernia 6 speed.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Mike mail that down to me. I need one!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Keep us posted Jeff... very cool.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

This is gonna be a sweet build. But why not just go with the VVL head and SR20det block thats been done countless times? Either way stoked for you dude.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

icehouse wrote: 28 Apr 2020 12:04 Mike mail that down to me. I need one!
I'll slip it in a padded envelope. I think this one's broken. Probably stuck in gear.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

eastbaysolo_73 wrote: 28 Apr 2020 20:28 This is gonna be a sweet build. But why not just go with the VVL head and SR20det block thats been done countless times? Either way stoked for you dude.

I just don't see the point in taking apart a good running engine. Plus if it does blow up I can get another one for 1500 bucks and bolt it in.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

datzenmike wrote: 29 Apr 2020 06:37
icehouse wrote: 28 Apr 2020 12:04 Mike mail that down to me. I need one!
I'll slip it in a padded envelope. I think this one's broken. Probably stuck in gear.
Okay. Fix it before you toss in in the envelope.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

icehouse wrote: 29 Apr 2020 12:50
eastbaysolo_73 wrote: 28 Apr 2020 20:28 This is gonna be a sweet build. But why not just go with the VVL head and SR20det block thats been done countless times? Either way stoked for you dude.

I just don't see the point in taking apart a good running engine. Plus if it does blow up I can get another one for 1500 bucks and bolt it in.
Understood. Either way I'm stoked to see how this turns out.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
cartel

Post by cartel »

thats gonna be some tight fit-- i assume these both going into dimes?
i considered a cd009 for the car im building for a friend but was told its heavier than the earlier trans and dont really need 6 speed? but the z32 trans itself is a massive pig i have a LOT of the tunnel cut out to make that fit with a maxworks adapter - and just ordered the LOQ? fab shifter relocator as the shifter was really far back-
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

We haven't done as much work on this as I would liked. Although we found a goodie transmission. The RX8 6 speed is super cheap and is the same weight and size as the 71C. 6th gear is a little lower then I would like but over all it's pretty good! It's the same trans that's behind my S15 SR the BRZ, S2k, Miata and Lexus is250.

compared to a 71c

clutch disk is the same size as the SR disk.

side view amazing there is 6 gears in there!

cartel

Post by cartel »

so the BRZ trans is good for something? ive got a 2017 trans at work with like 15k on it.. drivetrain got swapped to v8 for drifting

how much work was it to put that behind a regular SR?
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

cartel wrote: 25 Aug 2020 08:54 so the BRZ trans is good for something? ive got a 2017 trans at work with like 15k on it.. drivetrain got swapped to v8 for drifting

how much work was it to put that behind a regular SR?
We bought one of those too. We didn't like it. To long, it's got a shifter like a CD009. The bell is to small for the SR flywheel. Also the slave cylinder is on the top, which is the same as the RX8 but we are just going to do an internal slave.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

adapter done, moved the slave cylinder pivot and made a new window in the transmission.