Wiring harness

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
vetteguy22

Wiring harness

Post by vetteguy22 »

Hi guys,
I’m getting close to finishing up my 510 rebuild. I’m wanting to rewire the car since the existing wiring is not complete and what is there has been butchered over the years. I checked with painless wiring and they said they were unable to help even with a universal harness.
What are others doing to rewire their cars?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
Button

Re: Wiring harness

Post by Button »

I have seen people use a painless wiring kit but I am assuming they used a generic kit that more or less fit the needs of the vehicle so that is certainly an option. If I was gonna start from scratch I would look in to using a power module that is usually used for motorcycles. The advantage of these is feeding in one power and ground and you get to avoid using relays and fuses. I would imagine this would make for a clean and easy wiring install. You would potentially have to use two but 510s are pretty simple as far as electronics go. I have not done a ton of research on these, or actually used one, but this is where I would personally start investigating. Not the cheapest option but if you consider that time=money for some it could be a great option. With all that said these may be a terrible option for some reason that I am not considering. I provide a few links below to get you going. Good luck.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mot ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mot ... ?rrec=true

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/row ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules
vetteguy22

Post by vetteguy22 »

Thanks for the info. I had seen this idea on a forum somewhere. It does seem like a reasonable plan but my 510 is fairly modified with stuff like electric, heated seats, VG33, electronic auto trani, stereo, etc. so I have decided to order a American Autowire 22 circuit system.
I really appreciate you input,
Rob
Button

Post by Button »

I looked that American Autowire 22 circuit kit up and that looks like a nice set up and should work out well. I started with a solid wiring harness but with all the tweaks I needed to do on my car in hindsight I wish I started with a new kit like this instead. Keep us posted on how this goes, it could be beneficial for others in a similar situation.
vetteguy22

Post by vetteguy22 »

Ok, will do. I ordered the kit last night.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Don't forget that these Datsun's are "switch to ground", which complicates rewiring. Most cars are "switch to power".............
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
abisel

Post by abisel »

Switching a ground is really a good thing compared to switching power. Switching a ground instead of power is used in the aircraft industry.

First, the chassis of the Datsun (and aircraft) is the negative ground.

For switching a ground in a negatively grounded system:
  • If the switch were to short, that circuit would function.
  • If a wire from a grounding switch were to break and touch the chassis, what would happen?
      • If the wire were on the "input" side of the switch, that circuit would not function.
      • If the wire were on the "output" side of the switch, that circuit would function.
    Now, if the switch were to switch 12 volt positive power in a negatively grounded system:
    • If the switch were to short, the circuit would function.
    • If a wire from a power switch were to break and touch the chassis, what would happen?
      • If a wire from the "input" side of the switch were to break and touch the chassis, we could get sparks, possibly overheat the battery, melt the insulation on the wire and maybe a fire.
      • If the wire from the "output" side of the switch were to break and touch the chassis, that circuit would not function.
    BTW, fuses are there to protect the wiring, not the component in the circuit. However, unlimited amps flowing through a 20 gauge wire could still cause sparks, melted insulation and fire "before" the fuse blows.

So... switching a ground in a grounded chassis is better than switching +12 volts in a grounded chassis.
    yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Wow, interesting perspective that I've never heard before! Two of our 240Z customers are ex-military pilots & current commercial pilots, so they will like this!
    1973 510 2dr
    1972 521 flat bed
    1972 510 Wagon parts car
    2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
    510rob

Post by 510rob »

don't forget the 510 headlight circuit. It has switched positive (the headlight switch) AND switched ground (the highbeam relay) just to make matters better...
    demo243

Post by demo243 »

510rob wrote: 11 Dec 2019 14:55 don't forget the 510 headlight circuit. It has switched positive (the headlight switch) AND switched ground (the highbeam relay) just to make matters better...
    I will mention that is the one switch I used from the American Autowire kit on both of my wire harness swaps. I used their headlight switch and not the stock 510 or 620 one. I am sure the stock one can be used, but it was easiest for me to use theirs, and both vehicles have a custom dash so the stock one wasn't needed. Then I ran a new bosche style relay set up to power the high and low beams. I did use the factory stalk for the beam selection and not the floor switch that comes with the american autowire kit.
    '71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - Carb'ed KA24DE