What did you do on your 510 today?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
defdes
Supporter

Re: What did you do on your 510 today?

Post by defdes »

I bought a new O2 sensor (narrow band) spliced on the connector for the AutoMeter gauge and welded on a bung. I'll invest in the wide band eventually when I finally switch to EFI.
bung.jpg
bung.jpg (204.99 KiB) Viewed 6544 times

bung1.jpg
bung1.jpg (337.83 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
cartel

Post by cartel »

got my center caps done to be different--

in dropbox the image is horizontal but after creating the link its showing rotated..
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Finally done with most of the rack install on the inside of the engine bay. finished installing all the brake lines as well. Came out pretty good.

ImageRackdone by v p, on Flickr
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

As I postponed our drive till next Sunday I thought I would be productive on the car today.

Drove over to Specialty where I proceeded to replace a torn shifter boot, been like that for too many years. I had two new ones in stock, one made in Mexico and one factory. It also let me check out and re-lube my steel shifter bushings which Andy made for a precision fit. No wear at all.

I have a small foam "cone" that goes around the top of the trans mission at the shifter area, keeps things a bit quieter, it was still in good shape

I then fixed a couple of small vibration/rattle issues in the engine bay, my heat shield separated from it's silicone isolator and a hose clamp was hitting my brake switch heat shield.

Andy popped a rear wheel off my car so he could measure up some brake pads for another customer who uses the same set up as mine.

It was a nice drive back to sunny Surrey where I fueled up the car with fresh 100LL, ready for next weekend.
Attachments
IMGP4800 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4800 (Large).jpeg (352.24 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
IMGP4799 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4799 (Large).jpeg (287.22 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
IMGP4798 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4798 (Large).jpeg (402.26 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
Precision machined for my shift rod, steel bushings.
Precision machined for my shift rod, steel bushings.
IMGP4797 (Large).jpeg (292.86 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Started adding some sound sound deadening to the car.
Imagesoundd by v p, on Flickr
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
Tedman

Post by Tedman »

Installed drip rail trim! Gotta admit, gave myself 50/50 chance of succeeding with this. Never installed (or removed) drip rail trim before. Required a lot of careful whacking with a soft rubber mallet, but it went on! Stoked!

RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

You did a good job,congrats!
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

This past week I mocked up some metal flares and replaced the front wheel bearings and brakes. Still have the right side to complete but with what I learned on the left side the right will go much faster.
Attachments
1-front and rear flare mockup with wheels.jpg
1-front and rear flare mockup with wheels.jpg (78.88 KiB) Viewed 6002 times
1-front and rear flare mockup.jpg
1-front and rear flare mockup.jpg (88.15 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
front brakes.JPG
front brakes.JPG (75.57 KiB) Viewed 6013 times
1972 Yellow 4dr
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

510-Trevor wrote: 29 Jun 2019 18:54 This past week I mocked up some metal flares and replaced the front wheel bearings and brakes. Still have the right side to complete but with what I learned on the left side the right will go much faster.
Looks killer man.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Birdy is not coming home......

I decided to go and fire the car up, drive to Andy's to wax and check a few things out after our Fort Casey drive. I did wash the car after the drive..but.....

Today as I waxed the car, where I actually got down low on my knees, to wax the air dam, I saw something jammed into my oil cooler inlet. This is what I found! I did remember on one of our zippy points going back up the old #99 and a bird flew across the front of the car, I did not think I saw it exit..but...it was low and maybe I just did not see it. At the gas station I checked the grill and saw nothing. I obviously should have looked lower. Talk about threading the needle to hit that opening at 70 MPH.

Took me a bit to drag this poor thing out, was it ever jammed up there, I don't think it was the impact that killed, it but the sudden right turn.....

I took a quick run after waxing the car to Vancouver to visit Rob France, then blasted back down #99 to the garage. I had an interesting discussion with some sort of Larger JDM Toyota that had some good power, turbo I think, but, I scored final point during the discussion. At some point during that final part of the discussion I saw close to 8,000 RPM in 5th..zippidy do dah....

I will throw some more fuel in it for next weekends drive and clean some bugs off the windows.
Attachments
IMGP5079 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5079 (Large).jpeg (230.1 KiB) Viewed 5780 times
IMGP5078 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5078 (Large).jpeg (234.21 KiB) Viewed 5780 times
IMGP5077 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5077 (Large).jpeg (333.62 KiB) Viewed 5780 times
IMGP5076 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5076 (Large).jpeg (336.75 KiB) Viewed 5780 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
CP

Post by CP »

Just shy of a year since we dropped a valve seat, we finally have things back together and running. Learned a lot on this go around, like stick with a known machinist. Would have saved a lot of headache. Little more set up and clean-up and she is out the door for the balance of the summer.
Attachments
20190714_200146 (Large).jpg
20190714_200146 (Large).jpg (345.91 KiB) Viewed 5774 times
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

On my way up to Hope yesterday, in absolutely torrential rain, I stopped into the garage and fired the car up.

I had not touched it since Richard's drive to Stave Falls. Even in the cold damp temperature, after a few cranks, it lit right off.

Hopefully tomorrow, should we get the promised SUNNY day, I am going to Andy's for a drive and check over, get it ready
for the Classic Car drive on Monday...should it be nice. They keep changing the forecast, so who knows till Sunday rolls around.

More snow for the mountains again, already it has hit some areas. Instant winter this year!

As I cannot really move the car in the garage and did NOT want to have the exhaust filling it up, I went to CDN Tire and bought an 8' section of flexible aluminum dryer ducting, 3" diameter. It slipped right over my 3" exhaust perfectly!!!!! I think once the car is put up on jack stands for the winter, I will get one more length and a sleeve, thus getting the exhaust way out into the yard.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Had a wonderful fall drive to Specialty yesterday, and, at the same time, my Innovate Wideband had a major silly fit and seems to have died.

On the way back from Richards drive to Stave Falls, at one of the hottest points of STALLED traffic, I got an error code for 20 minutes, then, it started working again.

Yesterday it started fine but once I got out on the highway to display just went NUTS! First an E8 code...then it got stuck at 47.6?????....then it seemed to display any and everything, finally kicking up an E5 code. This code says I have to change some cables.....I don't think so.....

In reading online lots of people have had issues like this with Innovate and switched to an AEM one, does anybody have any experience with those. I want simple, do not need lap top hookup, data logging, just want to know my A/F!

I have had this thing for 13 years now so it does not owe me anything. I have had to do a few things to it over the years and am kinda tired of mucking with it and at times..not sure I trust it.

Andy was able to heli-coil my stripped valve cover bolt hole so that was good. I can't imagine how many times that valve cover has been off in 41 years.

Drive back to the garage was nice, some temp got into the tires and they smoothed out going down the highway. Weather looks to be ok for Mondays Classic Car drive, we will see.
Attachments
Washed and ready.
Washed and ready.
IMGP5369 (Large).jpeg (426.24 KiB) Viewed 5310 times
IMGP5368 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5368 (Large).jpeg (468.84 KiB) Viewed 5310 times

Keith Law
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Yeah I've had issues with the Innovate wide bands, killed a few O2's. I thought that it was just because of leaded fuel. I think E8 is under voltage. Sam bought an AEM unit because they supposedly have less problems. My Innoavte gauge in my tan car is I think around 8-10 years old and still works. Sat a long time though. Not a lot of hours. It was from a project car I bought.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

I have a analog autometer gauge in the 68 Image
never having a digital readout on my dash i thought the analog would be easier; more intuitive for my analog trained brain. from talking with funwithmonkeys the autometer reads lower than his digital(think its the same as yours) that cuts out at 10 (?)

now I have put very few hours on the gauge over a 2 year period and I did have a problem .....the needle fell off, but it was all good!
I called autometer and the teck guy said send it in. few weeks later I had a hole new kit with harness and O2 sensor. :mrgreen:
Last edited by RMS on 11 Oct 2019 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!