KKS Aluminum Radiators - Anyone Tried them?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Byron510

KKS Aluminum Radiators - Anyone Tried them?

Post by Byron510 »

Has anyone yet tried one of the radiators?

https://picclick.com/KKS-3-ROWS-ALUMINU ... 48019.html

I'm curious what the fitment is like, and whether the stock fan (and even fan shroud) can be utilized? ha quality looks good - price certainly is good. I do like the die formed tanks myself.

Anyone have some feedback?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Re: KKS Aluminum Radiators - Anyone Tried them?

Post by icehouse »

we used the Champion rad in our enduro car. Worked fine but hit the L series pulley. Had to move the engine back as far as possible to get it to clear. I would imagine if this radiator is the same thickness you might run into that issue. The radiator required shims. it hit the sheet metal lip around the radiator opening in the core support. It fit much better with the SR, Turns out SR's are a lot shorter than L's.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Thanks Jeff for your input. I knew the Champion had fitment issues - as does the 280ZX Champion unit.
This is why I was asking about KLS rad - price is about the same, shows that it's a 3 core - but any aluminum rad of the same physical dimensions will be more efficient that a brass rad of the same size. So I'm willing to bet that it'll cool our modified motors just fine.
It's the fitment, clearance and mounts that I'm curious about. And in addition it appears the KLS unit can utilize the stock fan shroud - for those looking to utilize the stock fan.

Anyone tried the KKS rad yet?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
cartel

Post by cartel »

never heard of em- but clicked link to see and its KKS .. i need to order a rad soon but i think im going to try either the ron davis or the ebay sr one
*fixed - ed*
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

cartel wrote: 20 Feb 2019 16:36 never heard of em- but clicked link to see and its KKS .. i need to order a rad soon but i think im going to try either the ron davis or the ebay sr one
*fixed - ed*
I just use the L series rad with the SR. Fits just fine and it's the dumb mega wide unit everyone sells for the SR.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I might be in the market for a rad as well. Sure would be nice if it fit like stock and I could use the fan shroud. I priced getting a stock one record 3 row $800 cdn. I'd like to feel safe running my 2.3 this summer. It's been 10 years off the road and I'm planning on a few road trips.
abisel

Post by abisel »

I mounted a Champion 3-row radiator but did a modification to the radiator support so I only used a plastic and rubber washer for a shim. I rolled over the sheet metal lip of the radiator support which moved the radiator forward about a quarter inch. See page 95 of "what you did to your 510 today".

I tried mounting the standard fan to the water pump pulley but it did hit the radiator when the fan flexed during higher RPMs. Tried even aftermarket pulley fans but just didn't like them either. So I went with dual electric fans in front of the radiator.

Rolling over the sheet metal lip also provided more clearance between radiator outlet and alternator.

Another point. With the L20B engine, I did not use L20B motor mounts as they raised the engine too much causing the valve cover to hit the hood. I used the stock 510 L16 motor mounts and all is well.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

the koyo rad fit great with plenty of mm to the alt. my rad support was not very strait so I cant say that it would fit without spacers but I felt it should be isolated anyways and ran some 1/8 rubber spacers. the koyo also has previsions for the shroud and a fitting on the top tank for a cathode or w.h.y. Image
hit up Garage five around the corner today and ordered a koyorad came to $440.80 and will be in my hands next friday.

frsport wanted 256.20 us + 79.39 ups = 436.98ca + possible brokerage, duties......

http://www.garagefive.net/
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

MikeY wrote: 20 Feb 2019 17:14 I might be in the market for a rad as well. Sure would be nice if it fit like stock and I could use the fan shroud. I priced getting a stock one record 3 row $800 cdn. I'd like to feel safe running my 2.3 this summer. It's been 10 years off the road and I'm planning on a few road trips.
I have a champion 3 core and it cools my high strung 2.3 just fine. I did get it modified so the outlet comes off the side of it rather then the back. It keeps it well away from the alternator pulley this way. I just used rubber isolaters to keep it away from the lip on the core support. You just need a bit of foam tape after that to seal up the edges so the air goes through the radiator rather than around it.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Well I liked the look of the tanks and took a chance. Nice looking rad. But it did not fit at all like the stock one. The brackets are flush with the rad so it doesn't fit against the rad support. Maybe if I removed the little lip or turned it towards the front. Too thick, maybe if the lip was removed it would move far enough from the fan blade. And as is it interferes with the alt pulley. I can't stomach messing with the lip. So in the box it goes. Maybe the next build.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

that sucks. how far was it in to the alt?
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I'm going to guess with the lip out of the way it would clear the alt. As well the alt could have a slightly smaller belt and move in the right direction a bit. But it's already pretty close to the block. The fan on the other hand just barely cleared. And the lip removed might double the clearance. So with the fan flexing and engine moving about, I'd be a bit worried. Maybe I should have bought the rad with the 2 electric fan option. Wasn't much more. I wonder if anyone has tried to bend the lip to face forward. I guess it's just pliers , hammer and dolly and paint.