Rear control arm clearance

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Nustad 510

Rear control arm clearance

Post by Nustad 510 »

Hi all,

Does anyone have pictures of their rear control arms after trimming the leading edge for wheel clearance.

Thanks, Shaun
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Rear control arm clearance

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning Shaun,

Here is the best shot of what we did to mine, then also made the "doubler" plate welded across the top.

That amount of cut out let me run 13 x 8" zero offset rear wheels which I could just bolt right to the hub if needed to increase oversteer tendency. Really increased the stiffness of the control arm.

If you need more or closer pictures I could do that this coming weekend as my car is on jackstands right now and could pop a wheel off.
Attachments
cut out on rear control arm. Double plate welded on top..JPG
cut out on rear control arm. Double plate welded on top..JPG (180.29 KiB) Viewed 2479 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Nustad 510

Post by Nustad 510 »

Thanks Keith,

Perfect. Picture says 1000 words. I only need to shave a bees d**k off mine to get the clearance. Im running 14 x 6.5 +25 rear wheels. BR Specials. A Watanabe look a like. 195/60/14 tyres. A poorly positioned wheel weight is all that's preventing the wheel turning freely, despite asking the tyre shop to place ALL weights inboard. If necessary, I can make and weld in the doubler plate at home. Out of interest, what sort of clearance are you running between the rear control arm and the rim?

Cheers, Shaun
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I have tons as I am running a spacer, which I have always done to increase the rear track, with my 15" x 7"' zero offset VTO wheels.

Again, I can measure up on the weekend if you like. As I am flared I used to run a 1" rear spacer and at the moment I think I have a 1/2" or so on there, just like to have the car as wide as possible.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

With 16x8 +30 I just ground off the pinch weld on the control arm and then welded the material back together flush with the control arm.

Obviously the clearance gets better as the rim size goes up.

You don’t need much more clearance than a couple mm.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Nustad 510

Post by Nustad 510 »

Thanks Jordan, I think that's what I need to do. Cheers, Shaun.