Datsun Restomods CV showing at Byron's - Nov 25th 1-5 PM

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
Fred_L-P

Re: Datsun Restomods CV showing at Byron's - Nov 25th 1-5 PM

Post by Fred_L-P »

Byron510 wrote: 26 Nov 2018 07:38 If someone took a photo of the group that was there - post it. We document our cars well, seem to forget the most important aspect - which is all of us!
Amen to that!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks for hosting and those sandwiches were very good! Nice to see all this time of year, usually we do not get together till spring.

I was maybe a bit disappointed that the shafts would not fit my car, but, at the same time my power train really has no issues. It did give me the opportunity to remove the one half shaft and really check out the universals, which seem to be still mint at this point.

Fritz's product is very, very nice and will be a solid upgrade for those that can use them!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Installation and driving impressions;

The installation in Shawn's car was pretty straight forward, but did also require a change to the exhaust system. Shawn brought the car over earlier in the morning and we removed the stock half shafts. It was noted that the stock diameter exhaust put on this car was placed really close to the inboard stock U joint already, which likely did not do the U joint itself a whole lot of good in operation. Knowing that the CV joint was going to be larger in diameter, I suspected we would have to make an alteration. So I unceremoniously cut a chunk of tail pipe off a 720 parts truck that had a usable bend in it just in case we needed it. The 720 happened to be not that far from the garage door. And had it been any other day of the week, I likely could have got a new piece of pipe, but it being Sunday and all...

When Fritz arrived, we talked about his product and the large amount of development that has gone into his CV conversion shafts. There is some good engineering that has gone into this product, a lot of planning and thought, and quite a bit of consultation. It's evident in the end product. And eventually we got to work on the installation. Initially we agreed that the CV would fit with the exhaust that was there, but being that the exhaust was very close to the inner CV boot, we opted to 'make more room', and out came the pipe cutters and the section of pipe from a few inches rearward of the X-member to half way between the half shaft and muffler. The new CV shafts were installed, and I welded in a temporary piece of exhaust pipe liberated from the 720. It'd been a while since I'd seen a stock 1 1/2" tail pipe - the pipe size was humorous to many of us.
Fritz and I had a discussion about how far the pipe should be away from the boot, and it's likely a valid discussion for all. We settled on 3/4" spacing. Or less if that section of the tail pipe was wrapped in header wrap insulation as it's the radiant heat one really needs to watch in this case.

Upon assembly, Shawn and Fritz drove around a short while. Shawns' impressions were that the car was operating smoother with the CV's installed. As no single other change was made to any part of the car, and the drive was only a few hours after he'd driven the car earlier in the day with stock U joints, it was likely a very good back to back test of the new CV product. Shawn was quite happy with the CV's at the end of the day.

We didn't do any burn out tests, but I do thank Andrew for posting his stress test back in October :-)

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Josh K.

Post by Josh K. »

These are on my list for spring time. I'm sick of Empi Cv's and the stock halfshafts are less than happy with me :lol:

I'll probably buy when the next batch gets released.

Josh-
andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori »

I was only able to put a few hundred k on prototype CVs in my car but I'm very pleased with how smooth they are. Ran them up to 100mph a couple times did a few very hard starts without issue. I congratulate Fritz with coming up with a very affordable option for the Datsun community.
Now if we can just get rid of the stupid snow here in Ottawa so I can drive my toys life would be great.
Andrew
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
1972 Triumph GT6 SCCA Vintage Race Car
1974 Mazda RX3 former IMSA race car
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

bertvorgon wrote: 26 Nov 2018 08:52 ... I was maybe a bit disappointed that the shafts would not fit my car...

Fritz's product is very, very nice and will be a solid upgrade for those that can use them!
Thanks to all who provided positive feedback - it means a lot to me coming from the collective experience of this group!

I'm disappointed too Keith, and agree that if your setup is solid then there's no need to change.

RedBeast.jpg
RedBeast.jpg (218.64 KiB) Viewed 6070 times

Here's some pics of Keith's fitting session - quite the setup under there! Unfortunately I have none of the attendees at Byron's.

Clearance_2.jpg
Clearance_2.jpg (296.06 KiB) Viewed 6070 times
Clearance_3.jpg
Clearance_3.jpg (215.82 KiB) Viewed 6070 times
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Geez....that's a good look'in 510......
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori »

Note to All.... be sure to consider exhaust design when considering Datsun Restomod CVs :)
Andrew
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
1972 Triumph GT6 SCCA Vintage Race Car
1974 Mazda RX3 former IMSA race car
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Maybe there is another thread with more details, but I am having trouble finding it. Will you be producing R180 versions of these?

Thanks.
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

There is more info on the last few pages of this thread: http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=360
The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
datsuntech

Post by datsuntech »

Did I miss the part where there was a price? Or do you have a ballpark estimate? *EDIT* I didn't read far enough back on the other thread. :roll:
Are You going to be offering ones like the original one you made or just the ones with bolt on flanges on both ends?

Thanks,
Brock
Rear Wheel Drive, The way God Intended.
If a car is being pulled from the front, doesn't that mean it's being towed?
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

iceman510 wrote: 03 Dec 2018 13:47 Maybe there is another thread with more details, but I am having trouble finding it. Will you be producing R180 versions of these?

Thanks.
Iceman510 he does make them. I just purchased a set from him for the R180.
If any of you guys are on IG he has tons of pictures there. @dadzsun give him a follow.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Thanks. With the help of the other post above I was able to find it and read it again. I will have to ask him about Subie-compatible stubs, as I would like to do that version and eliminate some of the fasteners.

What type did you go with East Bay (sorry only know a few names on here)?
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

iceman510 wrote: 04 Dec 2018 17:02 Thanks. With the help of the other post above I was able to find it and read it again. I will have to ask him about Subie-compatible stubs, as I would like to do that version and eliminate some of the fasteners.

What type did you go with East Bay (sorry only know a few names on here)?
I have John Williams R180 stub axles that I got last year. So I went with his first set up that bolts right up. I couldn't afford his new style slide in CV as its a bit out of my price range due to the holidays and the fact I don't want me wife to put me in the garage to sleep.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

Sorry for not getting on sooner to answer questions, it's been a crazy 2 weeks of travel and getting sets out - two more today to Realm members.

Shipment.jpg
Shipment.jpg (196.84 KiB) Viewed 5738 times

There's no official thread yet so I apologize for the lack of clear information on pricing/options. I'm hoping to get the website up Jan 1st and then I'll start up a thread to reference it and answer questions etc.

R180_3.jpg
R180_3.jpg (388.61 KiB) Viewed 5738 times

There are 2 versions available now - R160 (stock length), and a 10mm shorter R180 version. These use the standard Datsun 4-bolt flange inteface.

I'm testing a version with integrated Subie STI R180 splines that I plan to offer in the spring, along with R160 JDM compatible spline version. I also offer R160 JDM Subaru WRX (Suretrac or Viscous) stubs that work with stock 1/2 axles of R160 CVs.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com