Rear discs with internal drum handbrake?

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
broke

Rear discs with internal drum handbrake?

Post by broke »

As stated, has anyone managed to come up with a rear disc conversion that uses an internal drum parking brake?

I have setup off a C32 Laurel that looks like it could almost work, but may require some mods that I'm not too happy about doing to make it all bolt on.

I've searched and couldn't find anything, just thought I'd ask before I go hacking into things...
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
Byron510

Re: Rear discs with internal drum handbrake?

Post by Byron510 »

I'm sure I've seen a post where someone utilized a Z31 set up like this on a 510, but I can't find the thread which discusses the specifics.

If i find it....
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

I used z32/r32 rear calipers with internal drum ebrake. The r32 setup requires a lot of depth behind wheel mounting flange that just isn't there on a 510 control arm. I ended up making custom control arms that are well documented in my build thread. FFS all the pics are dead.
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=420

Minor correction for Byron: none of the North American z31s had internal drum ebrakes. Z32 and r32 did.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Thanks Jordon for the correction.

:-)

Byron
broke

Post by broke »

Thanks Jordan, looks like we both tried going down the same road there - another 6-8mm or so and there would be room to slide a caliper mounting bracket between the backing plate and the arm, alas the backs of the wheel studs almost touch the shoes even before you try that.

I think I'm going to end up having to be a sheep and just get R31 Oz-spec rear discs like everyone else here, I really didn't want to have to buy them though when I have a technically superior setup here for nothing.

FWIW here's how far I got - you can see that apart from having nowhere to mount the caliper it all has enough room to fit on the arm, obviously the backing plate hole for the hub is larger and the mounting holes don't line up, but that's not difficult to fix.

Maybe one day I'll experiment with a spare control arm and see if I can brew something up.

The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

That looks very familiar. Thanks for sharing pics!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

IIRC, Brad had a rear disc setup on his car that used and internal parking brake.

Somewhere in this build thread.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5992
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Hey Dave, Vince has this setup on his 510. Ask him what it came off of a quick how to.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Thanks for posting Brads link to his project. Brads flicker account is still active and visable,many photos of his rear brake upgrade are right at the beginning of the photo series;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25186022@ ... 62/detail/

This is where I'd seen it documented.

Byron
broke

Post by broke »

Byron510 wrote:Thanks for posting Brads link to his project. Brads flicker account is still active and visable,many photos of his rear brake upgrade are right at the beginning of the photo series;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25186022@ ... 62/detail/

This is where I'd seen it documented.

Byron
Thanks guys, I really like the way that conversion's been done - I don't know if the authorities would allow it here, but I'll ask them anyway.
-McWicked
torqued

Post by torqued »

John, Do you have all the bits for this?
If you needed I have them.