Bert Vorgon's Spring Maintenance Project

View and post your 510 project(s)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Bert Vorgon's Spring Maintenance Project

Post by bertvorgon »

I do use the quality fuel injection hose for sure.

I do not use race gas any more, just Avgas, plus my octane booster on occasion.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Last week Matt helped me bleed the brakes, ended up with a bleed nipple issue on one of the BMW calipers on the rear. The inboard one would not loosen up. I am going to try to track down some new bleed screws, stupid things are so small, 7MM, and you cannot get a box end wrench over the nipple itself.

I thought I would do some cosmetic things while I work on the caliper issue. My front grill has taken some good hits from bugs and rocks over the years, so time for a clean up and re-paint flat black. Going to re-paint my side mirror also.

James helped me track down a throttle cable. I never knew what it was from, something we grabbed off the shelf 41 years ago. Turns out it is from the 520/521 Datsun pickup truck. We found one, brand new in Texas and it was up here in 4 days. Bonus round as I would hate to be stuck somewhere with a busted cable. I will put the new one into service and the old one to be carried as a spare on our road trips.

Next week I will fire the car up and then wait for some good weather to put insurance on. I also may do a bit of a paint repair on my rear fender flares, where years of race tires blasted off the paint and chipped it.
Attachments
Primed and ready for paint
Primed and ready for paint
IMGP2140 (Small).JPG (90.19 KiB) Viewed 4381 times
IMGP2139 (Small).JPG
IMGP2139 (Small).JPG (46.27 KiB) Viewed 4381 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

when faced with nipples that only accept an open end, I like to back the wrench up with a pair of vicegrips ....good vicegrips... not that Irwin junk.

will you be taping and spraying or will it be a brush job on the rear flares ?
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I'm hoping that James's friend ROB, will be coming to do the repair. I'm assuming he will use like an air brush type spray, but I'm not sure what his technique will be, other than not brushing.

I have have no experience doing this type of thing and would rather have it done right by a professional.

At the rate this weather is not getting any better...maybe all this prep is for next summer..... :(

Went to Victoria yesterday, even rained torrential there.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Spray painted my grill and headlight bezels this morning, mirror is next.

Having trouble figuring out the right brake bleed nipple for my rear BMW 2002 calipers.

Also an interesting issue with the size of the bleeder hex and the wrenches I have. The bleeder is listed at 7MM...in actuality it is just UNDER 7MM and with slight oxidation over the years, there is a bit of fudge in that. Then, I measure my wrenches, they are just OVER 7MM...even my Snap-On 7MM, so, when you add all that up, you get a LOT of slop. I routed around and found my ORIGINAL Craftsmen sockets, made in the 60's, where the socket actually fits quite well.
The 7MM 6 point box end on the Snap-On is passable, as it has a reasonable grip in the bleeder corners. I will endeavor to get 6 new ones so at least that eliminates years of use and oxidation.

Keith Law
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Two words. Vice grips.
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

CRC Freeze Off works really well on frozen bolts and fasteners. Perfect for frozen bleeder nipples. Lordco, Canadian Tire carry it. I've used it and similar products. The stuff is magic!!

Better than a Torch. No risk of setting car on fire or damaging internal parts like seals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0BaowQvL6c

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Problem with vice grips is being able to get at it! BMW in their infinite wisdom kinda recessed it down into a small "well" if you will, surrounded by a cast iron lip. That is part of the problem with a wrench, you cannot get a good 100% purchase on it.

I swear sometimes I wish I could grab the stupid engineers that come up with some of the shit designs we have to deal with..and make them work on it...figure that out Sport!

I always say.."Get your Gramma to work on it, if she CANNOT do it..back to the drawing board old Sport!"

I like the idea of that spray, I have brake bleeder on the GM Tracker that is next in the maintenance line. Is that available here? Or is it some unobtanium that you have to special order off GONZO'S SURPLUS store in the Maldives?

Keith Law
broke

Post by broke »

The 2002 front caliper bleed nipple is common to many, many early BMW's. Should be readily available from any dealership overnight, 34 11 1 153 197 is the part number - there are some less common variants but unlikely to be one of those.
bleeder.JPG
bleeder.JPG (129.08 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks, that is really fantastic. I have e-mailed this to my BMW mechanic friend.

I got my grill, bezels and mirror re-painted, did not go too crazy with trying to hide some of the chips as there were many years of paint on there. I did a spray check on my water inter-cooler spray as the angle makes a difference on how much actually soaks the core.

Inter-cooler re-installed with all the bugs gone.
Attachments
Water spray pattern check.
Water spray pattern check.
IMGP2146 (Small).JPG (88.13 KiB) Viewed 4240 times
IMGP2145 (Small).JPG
IMGP2145 (Small).JPG (94.15 KiB) Viewed 4240 times
IMGP2141 (Small).JPG
IMGP2141 (Small).JPG (91.06 KiB) Viewed 4240 times

Keith Law
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

I'm always amazed at all the wizardry that is going on with your car. I learn something new every time. One thing I haven't seen yet - on any Datsun for that matter - is one of these devices from Masterlube. I intend to install one on my 510 eventually...but it is at the bottom of the list. Perhaps something to add during your eternal winter? (It's snowing here...about 12 inches expected). Let me know your thoughts about this product. http://www.masterlube.net/home.htm (local Colorado company)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

There are a few 510's up here with ACCUSUMP'S, same deal.
http://www.accusump.com/

They are good for pre-oiling an engine. That being said, in all my years of racing, with a car sitting for six months, I have never had any bearing or cam issues.

Where they really shine is if you do not have a good oil pan, with proper baffling. Should you uncover the pickup the drop in oil pressure...which may NEVER be seen on a gauge or light, as it is just a low spike, the ACCUSUMP will maintain oil pressure. I have always had both a well baffled stock pan and then the Nissan comp pan.

If my engine sits for any appreciable time with out firing, I do take the time to remove the cam cover and pour a small stream of oil over the cam and the rockers. FYI if you do not have a car that starts right away after sitting, remove the plugs and crank to get oil pressure just showing on the gauge, then light the thing off. Our at least L series motors are very tough and with good quality oil and assembly, should give years of reliable use and some careful abuse. I put 13 years on a race motor and I am now into my 16th season on this one, with no major race usage other than some slaloms, if anything a major testament to Andy at Specialty Engineering's care in building these things.

Good oil, good fuel, never let it detonate and life is good!

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

BROKE, thank you so much for that info!!!!! Within 12 hours I had two new bleeders to try, PERFECT!

They are just a hair longer but that was not an issue, they even came with a nice new rubber cap for the nipple...and...they actually measure 7MM, so my Snap-On 6 point box end works very well. I have ordered enough the change out all bleeders and will not have to worry about those for another 25 years. I would suggest that over their original years, they suffered wear and tear from bad wrenches and of course natural oxidation..

It was funny, my BMW mechanic friend never thought to check the old BMW parts....as it turned out BMW wanted 16.00 CDN per bleeder, so the parts guy checked with an outside parts supplier here, made by the German company that made my seals for these calipers and other OEM parts for BMW, 4.70 each CDN, delivered that day.

Carefully re-installed the grill and mirror today, looks pretty good. I have a friend coming to check out the rock blast on my flares tomorrow, so it will be cool to see what he will come up with for paint repair.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I lit the fires today, then engine not having run since November. With Robyn's stater motor in there, cranking properly, it hardly did two revolutions and it fired right up!

I spent 10 minutes carefully getting a grip on that bad bleeder and out it came, new one in. I will give a quick bleed to make sure I have not sucked any air in, then it is wheels on and back on the ground.

Tackling another issue I have neglected for years got my water spray electrical connections done RIGHT. I won't say what connectors I had used as there are a few electrical Guru's on here that I do not want to become apoplectic.I had an intermittent interruption of Mr. Electron, usually at the time that I needed the water spray the most. So, now a nice single connector is used, joints are soldered and shrink wrapped. I even managed to get polarity right so the pump runs the right way.....

Friday I will get my 6 months insurance. lets hope for some good weather now...510 Day.....Knox....Canby...Penticton....

Keith Law
broke

Post by broke »

Glad I could help Bert!

What's funny is the price - they're $16 NZD here as well. Consistency eh?
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked