Rock Auto Windshield

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Rock Auto Windshield

Post by bertvorgon »

I think the issue for the US would be shipping!?.
Both the cost and then the safety issue, having heard stories of broken glass arriving.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Just an FYI Keith, I was curious about availability straight from Pilkington in the US.
Although I would miss my drive north. :( They have two windshields in stock currently in Ohio for $185.00 +$125 shipping anywhere in the US till July 1st. He will check to see when the next shipment comes to him. Maybe your guy has some hanging around. That comes to $310 total picked up at a commercial terminal nearby.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

two_68_510s wrote:Just an FYI Keith, I was curious about availability straight from Pilkington in the US.
Although I would miss my drive north. :( They have two windshields in stock currently in Ohio for $185.00 +$125 shipping anywhere in the US till July 1st. He will check to see when the next shipment comes to him. Maybe your guy has some hanging around. That comes to $310 total picked up at a commercial terminal nearby.
That's a good price, I think mine was $325 + shipping.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Oh Keith, I mentioned to him about the need for a few more pieces and he said he would check with his manager to see if a new order is coming in. I would be curious about shipping to BC. I wonder if your guy buys from "Pilkington Classics", or from somewhere else?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I thought Pilkington Classics was the only option, no?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I did find my file and phoned my glass guy today, will have a 2015 price soon.

He said that Pilkington is all one and the same, just a U.S. warehouse and a CDN one. He was not familiar with Pilkington Classics, other than he knows they make all sorts of windshields for older vehicles to factory specs if not better.

I would just suggest that you US people contact them in the Us, and see what they can/could do for you on a group buy. I have asked for a quote like last time on 10 PCS. I know it is a bit harder, as you all tend to be more scattered than we are in Vancouver. I could have sold two yesterday at the car show. I may even just grab a couple and have them in MY stock for sale.

Yesterday morning, as I left for the car show so early, and headed East, I was going right into the low morning sun.
CRUD is my Chinese windshield ever chipped. I just checked my picture file and it went in in 2008, so 7 years, and it is almost as bad as the original. If you figure that on average mileage I do a summer, that's only about 10,000 miles.
I do have a spare new Pilkington, so maybe in a couple for more summers I will ask Byron nicely if he would help me put the new one in.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Anytime Keith - just say the word.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

Holy crap, that's not exactly pocket money. By the time you're shipped, and gasketed, you're probably around 500 bucks. I think I'll wait till next year on this one, I've lived with it 20 years plus so far.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I have not seen the current price yet, but, last time it was around 320 CDN or so, tax in.

So, with your US buying power here right now, that would cost say 260 - 270 US dollars.

Keith Law
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

@320 my radio flyer could use one as well.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I will touch bases with the fellow tomorrow.

Keith Law
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

I have a Pilkington windshield which I cannot get to work in my car. I'll let it go for half price if someone wants to give it a go.

UPDATE: After 4 attempts; 2 professional and 2 amateur, the Pilkington windshield is in! Finally!!!
Last edited by Colbino on 24 Jul 2015 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
wagoneer

Post by wagoneer »

Interestingly enough I am of need of a windshield for my 510 wagon. It was suggested that I contact Pilkingtons. Now I am wondering what trouble you are having getting to work in your car? Would appreciate a reply, thanks. Wagoneer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Not good news gang, the latest price is $440.00 CDN + GST. Even the glass guy was shocked. Our weak CDN dollar has not helped.

Mull it over, let me know.

Keith Law
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Last nail in that coffin, I will definitely have to come up with a better excuse to drive up there! Good luck.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX