WTB bracket on firewall for carb linkage

Post your forsale and wanted ads
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

WTB bracket on firewall for carb linkage

Post by SteveEdmonton »

My car had a cable setup for its carb linkage, so I'm cobbling together the original mechanical type linkage for my twin-SUs. I've got the rest of what I need, except this particular bracket circled in red on the photo.
SUs linkage bracket needed.jpg
SUs linkage bracket needed.jpg (119.2 KiB) Viewed 4539 times
In case the picture's not clear, this bracket mounts on the firewall and the rearmost end of the fore-and-aft linkage rod slips into the bracket's socket.

I know I'll have to modify the bracket a little to work with the SUs (moving it closer to the centreline of the car), but the stock bracket for the Hitachi downdraft will work perfectly well and is exactly what's needed. Anybody got a parts car or parts stash with one of these handy?

To save time and a bit of postage, a source in western Canada would be great. However, beggars can't be choosers, so let me know what you've got. PMs fine, or email to: sbjkchambers@gmail.com.

Thanks!
Steve
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: WTB bracket on firewall for carb linkage

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I have all the throttle linkage brackets from my 69. I can email you some pictures on Tuesday so you can see if it is what you need. It is free + shipping.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Can't find a better picture of the bracket I need, unfortunately, but the article in DQ 11.2 (page 7) shows it exactly. That's the sucker I'm after! Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/a/concordiasem. ... A5ODA1YjU1#
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I will check on Tuesday and let you know.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Is this the one?
Attachments
IMG_20150317_134235_edit.jpg
IMG_20150317_134235_edit.jpg (327.48 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
IMG_20150317_134223_edit.jpg
IMG_20150317_134223_edit.jpg (346.39 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

Steve,
I did the same bracket conversion on my car, I bought these ball ends and cut and threaded round bar stock to make the connecting rods.
BP
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (8.72 KiB) Viewed 4406 times
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Bingo Norm, yes that's exactly what I'm after. Thanks for digging it up for me.

Joel, yes I remember reading in your build thread about you making up your own rods. I think part of the rationale was that these new sockets / rods are made from thicker stock, which would reduce or eliminate bending I suppose, if that's an issue.

Is it though? Years ago I ran all stock linkage and was never aware of any issues... What are your thoughts on this?

The other possibility that occurs to me is that the length of the stock rods might not be correct when the brackets get moved. Is that correct?
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Do you want the rest of my linkage bits also?
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Nope, just this bracket. I've got the rest already (and am still not sure how I managed to miss-- or lose-- this part!).

Thanks
Steve
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

Steve,
I had to move the carb throttle shaft bracket 3/4" -1" further away from the pivot bracket so the connecting rod was too short

Additionally the ball ends were pretty yellowed and (possibly) brittle, and the rods were oxidized.
Who am I kidding! I just like the shiny new bits!!!
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Oh yeah, shiny is sweet-- especially new yellow-zinc stuff, eh?

I remember somebody posting something about a method of re-applying that "coating" (not the right word, I know) at home, which is intriguing. I make do by renovating some of my older but still "clean" and relatively uncorroded bits by giving them a good soak in Metal Prep, which leaves behind a different zinc compound that, if I time it right, has an interesting sort of sheen in itself.

But new is even nicer, no question!
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
dscottdatsun
Supporter

Post by dscottdatsun »

I have been working at getting my 510 back on the road. I was having trouble with the linkage to the SU's on my L20B. There was a little binding and it wouldn't go to WOT. I considered making an adapter bracket like I have seen in some of the other builds here on Ratsun, but I wanted something a little bit more. So I contacted Mike (mklotz70 on Ratsun) and arranged a meeting to share my idea. He worked up a prototype and after a couple of meetings with some fitting this is what we came up with.

This is what Mike has put together as the final design.