Incorrect Rear Wheel Bearing

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
HudsonMC

Incorrect Rear Wheel Bearing

Post by HudsonMC »

I'm thinking I'm beginning to go crazy.

I purchased rear wheel bearings from Rockauto, Timken brand, a while back. I am now at a place where I can begin to put the rear end of the 510 together, and am running into a problem. The outer bearings won't fit...

They're damn near the same OD as the housing they're supposed to be pressed into!

I ordered and received the correct part numbers from Timken. The specs for both Beck/Arnley and Timken indicate the same outer diameter, which looks to be about what I have (as close as I can tell with a tape measure).

This is a very weird, stupid problem...Somebody please tell me I'm crazy, missed some simple step, or have some oddball control arms. Rockauto indicates the '68 accepts the same bearing...? I am supposed to have a '72, but who knows.
Last edited by HudsonMC on 04 Jan 2015 15:24, edited 2 times in total.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Incorrect Rear Wheel Bearing

Post by okayfine »

Picture no worky.

Possible you've got a burr or similar in the control arm bore? Maybe the picture clears it up...
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

There are two bearings that are the same and not a single bearing right?

Could they have given you a wagon bearing?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

OK, image fixed?

Yes, I got two of the same bearing. Rockauto indicates the wagon and sedan outer bearings are the same OD, but they could be wrong I suppose.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Image fixed and problem visualized.

RA is listing these specs for the rear bearing:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... cc=1209978

Bore (in) 1.181
Inner Ring (in) 0.630
Outer Dia (in) 2.441
Type 8.000
Width (in) 0.630

How does your bearing stack up? Mis-box?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

I think I see the problem. Rock lists the RW125 as the outer and the RW101 as the inner (sedan). Both are in fact the same, and are the RW101. The RW125 is 2.85 OD while the 101 is 2.44 OD.
The wagon rears are diferent again, being a solid rear axle. RW125.

I also got caught on this. Telling them did no good as you can tell....
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Crap Tire used to be that way when people actually bought stuff like that and did their own work. I learned the hard way to ask that they check the number twice. It was an 11 mile ride back to town otherwise.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

Julian, that appears to be rock auto's listing for the inner bearing.

And, now I've read zkars comment, well, piss. Guess I'm ordering another couple bearings.

Can anyone else confirm? The inner and outer bearings are supposed to be the same?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Since you have a disassembled rear arm, you'd probably be in the best position to verify. I've never replaced the rear bearings, but have never heard they were different. zKars has recent experience, and more importantly recent experience with RockAuto.
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

Yeah, unfortunately, I threw away the old bearings in the move.

Sounds good to me. Thanks guys.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

that would be frustrating.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I did the same thing! In the back of my head I was even thinking.... Weren't all four bearings the same......
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

I've done a few and always use NTN 6206LLBC3. Both bearings in each rear semi trailing arm are the same.

http://www.ntnamericas.com/en/products/ ... BSRD&ctc=B
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

HudsonMC wrote:Julian, that appears to be rock auto's listing for the inner bearing.

And, now I've read zkars comment, well, piss. Guess I'm ordering another couple bearings.

Can anyone else confirm? The inner and outer bearings are supposed to be the same?

Both sedan inner and outer bearings are the same part number 43210-21000
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Hi Hudson,

Sorry to hear you are in this predicament – what a PITA.

However, I can give you some advice while you have this apart. The bearings you buy will (likely) be sealed bearings – as in they have seals on both sides. You’ll notice the bearings you removes have no seals on the inner faces (which obviously face each other) in the area which has the sleeve. From the factory, this area was packed with wheel bearing grease.
I have done a number of wheel bearing exchanges over the years – but never twice on the same car. I have always emulated this factory procedure of not having the seals in place in the spacer area, and have always packed this area as the factory did.

Having said this, others have commented on this site over the years that they have left the seals in place and there for saw no need to pack this area with grease and have had no issues.

What I question is the longevity of the grease in a factory sealed bearing. There isn’t much in there. My thought have always been – well the first bearings lasted 45 years, why not emulate that installation as I’ll never be replacing them again in my lifetime!

Just FYI – hope it all works out for you, keep us posted.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.