Lift is in, car in air...

View and post your 510 project(s)
Byron510

Re: Lift is in, car in air...

Post by Byron510 »

two_68_510s wrote:
okayfine wrote:So I guess the question I have is...based on your previous postings, you strongly suggest flying only carriers under the thumb of the FAA - so why do these other airlines (India, Ethiopia, Indonesia) spend the big money to have you come out to fix their junk when the local regulations aren't as rigorous?
Too big an investment to risk them falling out of the sky??
And it's likely a requirement to be allowed into our air space in the first place.

I don't know air travel, but I do know ow commercial shipping. Every boat has a record, and each and every one gets checked by our regulators here in North America before even being allowed into a port. Some vessels get caught here. I've known large cargo ships and even cruise ships from third world countries that were literally detained until safety concerns were addressed. This includes ship hatches, balast tanks, over board discharge, crane testing, life saving equipment, fire fighting equipment ect. For less scrupulous ship owners, I can say it costs a lot of money for them to try and sneak by. And if they get caught trying to cheat the system, holly hell will come down the ladder. The coast guard, even here in Canada, doesn't take this lightly. Ships personal are also taken into consideration, and if the Coast Guard is provoked, man they will make life rough for ship owners. I've heard the US follow similar lines.
That being said, you won't find many Indian, Middle Eastern, Eastern European and African ships in our waters. The biggest reason is that we require all vessels to be double hulled. Then there are the emissions standards and pollution implementations. I'm ok with it all, keeps the riff raff out, or at least 200 miles out. And that's a hell of a swim!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

two_68_510s wrote:Too big an investment to risk them falling out of the sky??
My impression of Darryl's words previously is that a lot of the foreign carriers (such as mentioned prevous) run their stuff into the ground, complimented by inadequate maintenance.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Byron's comments are accurate for both industries. You don't see the questionable carriers in US airspace. FAA won't allow it. If you go for a cheap fare, most of the time, if you are heading overseas, you make a connection. THAT'S where it gets sketchy. We are fixing this plane for the same reasons. Know where it got damaged? Here (Jersey). That route requires FAA approval. I heard from the locals here that United tried to get the contract to fix this one, but they quoted 54 days, and we are scheduled for 18. THAT'S why they call us. Costs a LOT of $ for an airplane to NOT be flying, plus the costs of using space on an airport tarmac. Details are WAY above MY pay grade, but do this kind of stuff for a few years, and it makes sense.

I have made no effort to try and do much here. Work/eat/sleep, repeat. NJ is, lets say, not my kind of place.

Thanks for the interest. I know that this kind of mechanical work appeals to guys like us. I'm SUPER fortunate to have landed this job. Hearing there's a good chance I'll end up stopping in Michigan to repair a 767 in Michagan on my way 'home', for 33 days.... So much for my Indian summer.... that puts me home in October.... Best wife EVER.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Camano510 wrote:.... Best wife EVER.
You better believe it. My wife put up with me leaving at the drop of a dime for 10 years. I'd kiss her good by in the morning after making planed for the evening, head off to work and then call her three hours later from the airport saying I'd be gone for a week or two...

Best wife ever is - damn strait!

Regarding costs, a medium sized container vessel, 8000 teu, would cost about $20k a day to keep tied to the dock, but could be loosing $50 - 80k a day for not sailing. Then there are the insurance claims needing to be paid out for late freight times. The money is crazy, and it took me a long time to get used to it. There certainly is pressure. If the service job takes 18 hours, the the Ship needs to leave in 22, you definitely don't want to be the guy stopping the show. Bug the cruise ships are the worst as they are like a bus - schedules are down the the minute. It's crazy when something goes sideways. I've had to leave my service truck on the dock, and travel for a number of days with no change of clothes. It's interesting, and like Darryl notes, money way over my pay scale on the line. So whne I'm holding one of 20 $400 bolts in my hand to install a turbine casing, that value simply pales in comparison to what's really on the line in terms of commerce and safety.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

I'm doing something similar here in SE asia. can't go into great detail but had to comment on your accurate quote. aircraft cost more sitting then flying, even when preventative maintenance begins to add up. parking spot on a ramp could range between a few hundred to ten of thousands, that's counting the cost to get it there if the mishap took place on a taxiway, etc. with their quote being 56 days it becomes an issue of preservation requirement, conditional inspections, corrosion prevention and control, all of which have nothing to do with mishap itself. sometimes a rather simple fix could cost an aircraft to become stricken due to the logistics of getting whats required to said aircraft. just my two cents, but the man speaks the truth.
glad you found a woman whose so understanding of you commitments. time and time again, marriages fall apart around me because they can't cope. My wife was in tears when she heard I was coming here but if anyone ever googled this area, it would speak for itself. your wife must be getting the best Xmas presents per diem can buy.. :lol: keep up the good fight buddy, and remember your PPE, wouldn't want it all to go to waste...
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

finn- spoken like a man with experience! All statements ring true wih me. PPE in full effect, BTW.

We call the issues with travel and marriages AIDS- Aircraft Induced Divorce Syndrome. Its far too common, sadly. Thats why my wife and I discussed this AT LENGTH before I even applied. She had to sign off on all of it, and she did. In reality, that's still not a guarantee that she won't get sick of it. Today I am missing my middle child's sweet 16. I missed my youngests 12th, in Melbourne. Mine is 8/29 (but I could NOT care less about my own), and my wife's is 9/5. I miss holidays, anniversary's, etc... It seems my family "get's it", and understands the benefits. For that, I can't express my gratitude.

I've done some detective work with my leads back home, and I'll be heading to Michigan. Very good chance I won't even be going home, but going directly there from here, because the start date is very close to the end of this job..... So much for my summer...Oscoda, Michigan. Wheeeeee.

The repair is a 767 that was ferry-flighted (Is that proper grammer?) from Afghanistan, after being forced to land by (military) air traffic control there, due to the 'cargo' (troops, and possibly some higher ranking officers), so it essentially came in and pounded itself into the runway, in an extremely nose-up attitude, crushing the lower aft fuselage. Apparently, another 'go- around' wasn't an option. 33 days. Major reconstruction. For us, no big deal. Funny to think about it that way.

I need to take an evening at home catching up my travel book- I'm falling behind! My wife asked how many books I wanted. I told her I'll find a place to put them, because someday, my grandkids will think Grandpa was a pretty cool old guy who got to travel the planet, fixing airplanes, and they'll have the pictures and stories to prove it!

Some day, I'll make it to Canby, and we'll get to share a beer... Someday....
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Camano510 wrote:and they'll have the pictures and stories to prove it!
Pictures? Hell, WE want pictures!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

I wish I could. Our management 'frowns' heavily on us posting pics of the repairs we do. Send me a message to the email attached to this acct, and I can send some to you directly. Just be patient, please.

Second skin in work. Progressing as usual.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Skins done, vertical fin on, serviced the landing gear and hydraulic systems, and are restoring the lower cargo now. Pressure test, site break down, and its off to Michigan on the 5th. May get a day to head into New York City. Never been there.
Darryl Cavanaugh
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Pm sent
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

NYC was fun- did the touristy stuff that we could knock out in a day- Trade Center memorial and museum (THAT gets the emotions going!), Time Square, Statue of Liberty, and a trip to the top of the Rockefeller Plaza. Astounding amount of humanity everywhere. Was a great use of my free day.

Next day I'm flying to Detroit, getting a rental car, and driving 4 1/2 hours north to Oscoda, MI. Wow. I think I had the 'Bends' from the massive shift in my surroundings. I can't begin to explain this place, except to say its a summer town, and summer is OVER here. It's 45 degrees at night.

For obvious reasons, owner of the plane (DOD contractor) is super hush-hush about the incident. Interior is ALL business class- high level officer and diplomatic envoy transport. Plane is pretty hammered. We'll have her up and flying next month.....

I'm ready to be home. Looking like that won't be happening for another 3-4 weeks.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Back from Michigan on 10/14.

Leaving for India on 11/9. Not sure of a return date. 787 stuff... India isn't what you call...efficient.

On a automotive note, bought the wife the big dumb SUV, a Yukon Denali, to replace her aging 540iT. Nice rig. Also bought a 2004 Honda Civic EX 4 door/5 speed with a blown head gasket, for $500.00. I will give it the same treatment as my 95 Coupe, and drive it until it dies. Car is in very nice shape, with 240K highway miles.

On an old school note, with this job, and a potential house move/build in the next couple years, I have, with a heavy heart, put in motion selling all my old school Mazda rotary stuff. ALL of it. Have a New Zealander from Vancouver BC coming down on saturday to look it all over. It seems like its a pretty much done deal, but I told him I'd feel better if he could see it all in person. He is getting a very nice collection of hard to find cars and parts/pieces. Best of luck to him.

I am keeping the Datsun's. I figure I can have those 2 projects in my new plans, and I have a much better parts situation with them.

Enjoy your winter holidays, guys. It looks like I'll be missing most of it.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

India.... Wow. Everyone should experience this place, if only to get a greater appreciation of their own situation.

If you search Air India 787, you'll see they are getting beat up in the media, since it is a state funded airline, and questions are being raised about their ability to function effectively. We are here to help with that 'image' by getting this 'parts plane' back into service, although I believe it will be merely a symbolic display, as I'm sure this plane will be put back on the ground to await its turn with the service bulletins and reliability mods.

One of the benefits of moving away from the Mazda's is touching all the Datsun stuff, and seeing what I've collected for them. It'll be nice to be able to organize each car's inventory more effectively. It's funny how easily I'd forgotten what I'd found and purchased for each car already, and in a couple of cases, duplicated. Oh well...
Darryl Cavanaugh
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Sooo.. let's see your stash next time you are home, we all love goodies! 8)
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Scheduled to fly home on 12/4.... As India is the way it is, 'alterations' to the plan had to be made. This aircraft has some serious issues, mostly due to the airlines treatment of it while it's sat, and the lack of care that entails. I believe the FAA is here, but the level of their inspection regarding AI's maintenance I am not sure of. If they came out and saw what we see, there could be problems.

I am coming back in January, supposedley to do service bulletins on the rest of their fleet, but I don't see how that would ever really happen, because they have no money for parts. All the parts we've installed this time were sent at no charge, provided by the Co. As usual, decisions being made at a level way beyond my understanding....

Will be travelling up to BC a few (hopefully only 2) times to deliver the Mazda stuff. Will be both sad and glad to see it go. Getting all the 'ducks in a row' for the border crossings.
Darryl Cavanaugh