Hello from Fuquay Varina NC

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
ToySnakePMC
Supporter

Hello from Fuquay Varina NC

Post by ToySnakePMC »

Greetings from a small town near Raleigh NC. Like you, I'm a car nut. And my desire for a 510 began when I was 8 yrs old standing around my older brother's AFX scale racing track lusting after the 510 zipping around and around! My passion turned to Mazda Miatas in 1989 and I've purchased 15 of those since. Some were pretty bad shape that needed TLC and put back on the road with a new owner through my various Craigslist adoption postings! I'm ready now to locate a 510 some how, some way, this year. My friends have classic Datsun Roadsters and a 2-owner 240Z. I think a 510 should join the family and live a pampered life indoors these next 20+ years...

Here's a link to my just-finished project car: a V8 Roadster - 1994 NA Miata with 2005 GM LS2, Tremec T56, and Ford 8.8 IRS diff. I've currently got about 1100 shake-down miles on her now and this Roadster will hopefully stick with me forever. But I need to find that NEXT project.. a simple 510, 4 or 5 speed, go slow, look good sorta car...
http://www.v8miata.net/build-threads-23 ... olina-794/

Happy July 4th. And Best Regards, Patrick
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Hello from Fuquay Varina NC

Post by okayfine »

Hello Patrick, welcome to The Realm. Lots of information here for the potential 510 owner, including a Buyer's Guide:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26137

Also check out The 510 Archives, 3.8GB of Datsun 510 information.

There's a small population of cars your way, and a few Dimers in NC itself. You missed, by a month or so, the yearly 510 gathering at Summit Point. A few of the locals may pop in and let you know about local cars they know about; still plenty of West Coast cars available, and often the $1000 to get it shipped back East will be 5x cheaper than rust repair necessary on an East Coast car.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
ToySnakePMC
Supporter

Post by ToySnakePMC »

Thanks OKFine for the hello, resource links (that I'll definitely use!), and good advice on more-plentiful west coast cars. You must be reading my mind as I was thinking yesterday that iF I found such a Dime out west, I bet I could reward or compensate someone from The Realm to do a 3rd party inspection prior to final purchase & shipping... I'd much rather stroke 1 check for the shipper versus lots of work and more expense to try and repair damage from the tin worms!

I DID go look at a '72 510 2 door yesterday about 15 miles from me. I found a 30-day old CL ad, confirmed he still had it, and rode out to see it. Wow, very, very rusty with some less than spectacular repairs & paint. The 1.8 with flat-top Mikuni's ran smoothly though! ...Just not the car I'm looking for.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

ToySnakePMC wrote:I bet I could reward or compensate someone from The Realm to do a 3rd party inspection prior to final purchase & shipping...
Very likely. Also likely that a Realm member would have first- or second-hand knowledge of the car for sale. Often someone new will join The Realm with a car they just bought, and another Realm member will pop up with the history of the car. It's a relatively small community these days since cars have been disappearing for some time. On the other hand, aftermarket support is growing, strangely.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

Welcome aboard Patrick! After reading your Miata build thread, I am sure that any 510 project you tackle will be a thing of beauty by the time you are done. Stellar job on the Miata! Recommended reading...
ToySnakePMC
Supporter

Post by ToySnakePMC »

You guys are making me feel at home! I have enjoyed reading various and inspiring build threads here as well... Some very talented and creative people here - who just love their Dimes.

So far, I have about 1,200 miles on the conversion - and it's been a blast. This car now runs as good as it looks. ;)
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Welcome from another North Carolinian. If you have plans to be in the Charlotte area look me up. I have over 58k miles on my 510 project, grinning all the way, and I'd be happy to offer help on yours. I know a guy that has this very nice 2-door near Charlotte that I believe he is considering selling.
Attachments
20140407_142850s.jpg
20140407_142850s.jpg (172.49 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
20140407_142830s.jpg
20140407_142830s.jpg (176.67 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
20140407_142807s.jpg
20140407_142807s.jpg (220.06 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
ToySnakePMC
Supporter

Post by ToySnakePMC »

Good morning Brad ! Be careful in what you ask for - I just may take you up on your offer and make an appt to meet you and your super-sanitary 510. I THINK I saw your Dime from a distance at VIR a few years ago - wish I had walked over to further investigate now...
I have been through your Flikr photo album and started reading your build thread. I'm going through it word-for-word like a good book so I don't miss anything! Your attention to detail and vision for what you wanted just makes this build so special - I'm really enjoying the write-up. PM coming to you on the other nearby Queen City car.