Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

Post by okayfine »

tr6racer21 wrote:Not that you'll be out at night with the 3-Wheeler, but who knows.
Not much, that's for sure. I even put the headlights on a switch to lessen the electrical load, as these old M/Cs don't have the most robust systems in the world.

Thanks for the tip on converting the speedo. I may go that route, but won't get to it for a while, at least until after Whitebird is back running.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Upgrades Already

Post by okayfine »

Now that I passed the B&L, I can install my E-code H4 housings. The Goldwing was originally equipped with an H4 housing, but since E-codes aren't DOT I needed the stock sealed beam units initially.
IMG_5612.jpg
IMG_5612.jpg (151.74 KiB) Viewed 4061 times
IMG_5613.jpg
IMG_5613.jpg (192.2 KiB) Viewed 4061 times
Also changed out the upper a-arm aluminum hex on the leading edges. I had 8" length pieces from the original build; the clevises have 2" of threaded length each, and there was just over an inch of threaded showing, so I decided to step up to 9" lengths to reduce the exposed threads for, hopefully, a stronger link.
IMG_5614.jpg
IMG_5614.jpg (176.71 KiB) Viewed 4061 times
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Good Vibrations

Post by okayfine »

okayfine
Supporter

On-Car/In-Car Video

Post by okayfine »

Got some more on-car vid. Sound noises out before 1st gear is over, but you can see the front suspension moving. Also show some in-car vid showing shifting and getting mad waves from people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-sCW0nCBTM

I did finally turn the turn-signal off. The Goldwing electronics has a turn signal ponger, but at a stop it only generates a low sound. It is tied into the speedo to generate a louder sound at speed, but I don't have the speedo hooked up yet, so I often forget the signal's on.

------------

CHP visit is scheduled for the 19th!! Final DMV appointment for the 21st. Should just be able to walk in and walk back out with my new plate. :shock:
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Good luck on the inspection!

James
Attachments
tumblr_mtfbmapsdx1rn41pho1_1280.jpg
tumblr_mtfbmapsdx1rn41pho1_1280.jpg (372.53 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Congatulations on a job well done Julian. That test run looked like it was a ton of fun !
okayfine
Supporter

Great Success

Post by okayfine »

CHP - check. 8)

Went in today. Biggest drive in it so far, by far. Ran great, with one issue I'll describe below. Got to CHP and what happened after is a mystery. I wasn't allowed to watch as the inspection was performed, so I have no idea what was done. There were zero issues with the inspection, however, and the CHP riveted in a new VIN onto the frame. Now it's just back to the DMV on Friday to hand over all the paper.

3-wheeler got lots of attention when I was at the gas station on the way out, including from an old lady who thought it was just the neatest thing. Even got props in the CHP parking lot from another member of the public. Might have been waves on the way to or fro, but I was too busy driving to notice. CHP officer, as with the B&L inspector, didn't have anything really to say about it.

On to the issue - There's some kick-back in the steering. Only occurs at 35mph+, and typically over older pavement. The steering wheel will shake, and you can watch the front wheel shake/pivot slightly in time with the steering wheel. There is a bit of slop in the rack, but thoughts on the shake being caused (in whatever amount) by eyeballed front alignment? I gave it a bit more toe in (1/6th turn of hex steering link) on each side, but it didn't improve it and might have made it a bit worse.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

You might just need to install a strut or shock style dampner on the steering, like a Super Beetle has. that might fix it.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Seems to me my old 190B sedan MBZ from 1960 had a steering damper.

I found out about it when the oscillations started! (worn out)
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Now that I think about it, it might have been my 65 bug that had the dampener. it's been a while.
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

I would get a good alignment before you start fabbing steering dampers.
James

Post by James »

^^^ What specs would you use?
My '78 bus had one. You could definitely tell when they were worn out…..
Finished is better than perfect......
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

It's not so much the specs, it's finding a shop to do it. My alignment guy has a rack, and most alignment shops these days are also on racks. Even shops that have a pit won't work for me, third wheel and all. And, how would you align the front tires straight with the rear when you can't really mount anything on the rear to get a data point. I'm sure Morgans West does it, but I'm probably not going to drive BigWheel to Santa Monica.

Also picked up something in the tire on Wednesday's drive. Right front is flat. LTS doesn't have the ability to patch the tube, but a new one (from the same OE as I bought, Coker) is cheaper than when I bought, so NBD.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Hey Julian

I purchased a DIY alignment kit from this company---> http://www.quicktrickalignment.com/

Not sure excatly what your looking to adjust but the kit I got was able to do camber castor and toe...... I paid 200 and have already gotten my money on it by doing a few at home to friends and famlies cars.
looking for pass. side arm rest
okayfine
Supporter

Too legit, too legit to quit, hey, hey

Post by okayfine »

Finished the Special Construction registration process. Made an appointment at DMV and showed up an hour early because I was out early from another appointment and because the DMV doesn't seem to care. I got to the front of the first line and the lady asked me my appointment time. It was then 11:30 and I told her 12:20 and she didn't even blink an eye. Got to a DMV window in about three minutes...then spent the next hour while the girl behind the counter dealt with it all. I felt bad that I was killing her average - the counter next to us was punching 'em out left and right.

The $100 I paid in December at the DMV was for registration for the year. I finally got my use tax called for this time, and paid $180 for (mostly) all the Summit Racing orders I'd placed. Fair enough. Beyond that they junked the Goldwing title and made up a new title. She gave me a new plate and stickers, and I was out of there.

Have to say, the plates that have been coming out of the prison system in the last ten years have been pretty crappy. Whitebird's plates have a couple instances of the blue (blue letters on white background) smudged off where there is no raised section, and BigWheel's plate has poorly defined edges around the raised-number paintwork. How hard can it be? The OE Goldwing plate from 1980 has raised paintwork that's as crisp as it should be.
IMG_5636.jpg
IMG_5636.jpg (175.31 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
--------------

Still waiting for the repaired wheel back from America's Tire. Suppose I need to use that as an excuse to get back to Whitebird. I'm going to want to finish that up before starting in on the bodywork for BigWheel's rear shell.