Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

Post by okayfine »

Going to take the radiator to a shop in the next city to see if they can replumb the inlet and the filler neck. Wish me luck. I do have a recommendation, so we'll see.

In other news, when I had it out last, I finally got into the 4-7,000 band. And it is pretty quick. I'd mostly been pootling around at 2-4,000, which isn't where the power is of course. Redline is 9,500, but 7,000 was nicely moving. Maybe not KA510 fast, but I still have 2,500rpm left to go, so who knows?

And, a fellow Realmer helped come up with a name for it. He'd mentioned something about it being a grown-ups Big Wheel, and I thought that was the perfect name. Hence it shall be called BigWheels. :lol:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

okayfine wrote:Going to take the radiator to a shop in the next city to see if they can replumb the inlet and the filler neck. Wish me luck. I do have a recommendation, so we'll see.
I guess I should continue to doubt services in my local area (who will boil out a radiator but be totally cranky about it) while not immediately tarring services in other areas with the feathers of the Conejo Valley. Went to the recommended radiator shop. Guy didn't even blink an eye. "Move this here, move this over here...you want me to drop this down here?" Um, yes please! $68 and a day. :shock:

Going for broke, I headed over to my alignment guy. He couldn't do it 'cause he has an elevated rack. He suggested I check into dealers/servicers for Can-Am trikes. SOMEONE has to align those at some point, right?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

$68.00 Wow, pretty good for that fancy neighborhood! I would have hit you higher :lol:
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

No, that's the thing. I can no longer get a radiator boiled out in TO, they do R&Rs only. I can get a radiator boiled out in Camarillo. I went to Oxnard with this radiator to get the inlet/outlet/neck moved. Oxnard, where you can still get things done, so I can no longer knock it.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

Commercial Radiator in simi... that guy performed magic sometimes.
i think they got shut down a couple years ago. :evil:
okayfine wrote:Oxnard, where you can still get things done, so I can no longer knock it.
i knock it JUST for all the raider fans
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
James

Post by James »

Plus its called oxnard
Finished is better than perfect......
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Do we want to know what an ox "nard" is? I don't think so.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

James

Post by James »

So I had to do a little research on the name. Family name of a sugar beet farmer/processor who built a plant there. My favorite quote was from the LA times who was following a proposal to change the name to "Oxnard Shores", and they interviewed a family member…..

The 112-year-old city is named for Henry T. Oxnard and his brother James, who built a sugar-beet processing plant that has long since been dismantled.

Brooks said a resident spoke of meeting one of the Oxnards' descendants, who was amazed the city had lasted so long under the family banner.

"You mean you kept the name?" the man reportedly asked, incredulous.
Finished is better than perfect......
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

In the mid seventies i had a job driving a 40' stake bed truck from the SF valley to Ventura twice week to Ventura Coastal to pick up 55 gal drums of puréed lemons, I always like that part of So Cal. It's been a long time since I've been there I hope it is still as nice. And yes I often wondered about the name "Oxnard". We called it Ox nards too!
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

My Dad had his stereo stores in Oxnard and Ventura, he passed in 1982, and the place is nothing like it was, unrecognizable is how I would put it.

I am always amazed when beautiful farm land get covered over with strip malls and tract homes. I remember going to the orange processing factory in Ventura and picking up a gallon of orange oil.

I drove through to San Diego a few weeks ago, and all the landmarks I knew are gone. But where is it any different anywhere?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

two_68_510s wrote: the place is nothing like it was, unrecognizable is how I would put it.
I don't disagree, and Camarillo is the new Oxnard in that regard. One good thing I can say - they at least kept green boundaries between the cities. You know when you pass from one city to the next in the west county. But, yeah, it seems like a race to build-out. And then comes annexation.
two_68_510s wrote:I remember going to the orange processing factory in Ventura and picking up a gallon of orange oil.
The place off/above Seaward with a view of the ocean? Still there:
https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q= ... 119.268139
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

That's good, my gallon of oil is almost gone after 40 years! I use it on wood.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

okayfine
Supporter

Re: Budget Update

Post by okayfine »

okayfine wrote:...-$8
-$68 for OK Radiator in Oxnard to move the inlet and spout and boil.

-$76

It's back on BigWheel, if I have time tomorrow I'll get to see if it made any difference in coolant flow.
okayfine
Supporter

Cure-All

Post by okayfine »

The radiator work fixed the hot running. Ran it around for a couple miles and the temp needle stayed where it should and there was heat coming from the radiator. My right shin is still got that overly-cool feeling after being heated...just like a 510 heater! :lol:

So, great success. Now to schedule an appointment with the B&L garage.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

8)
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX