what turbo for my RB?

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
DETurbine

what turbo for my RB?

Post by DETurbine »

Ok I am trying to decide what turbo I am going to go with. I am building my RB25DET over the next 4-5 months and want to be able to put some power on it since I am spending all this money to with stand it. I want to start off with 450-500hp, but will shortly after (once I get my bigger FMIC, bigger wastegate (44-46mm), and also a tubular exhaust manifold.). Once I get all that I am going to want 600+ hp. I don't want to have to worry about to much lag, but there is always going to be lag when you get up to that range. Also I do not want to spend over $750 for one at this point, since I am spending most the money on the engine build. I guess I could always upgrade turbos later, but the problem with that is I would have to change some of my intercooler piping and down-pipe and would loose money that I just spent on the turbo. There are the turbos that I have been thinking about: Precision SC61 T3 .82ar or MasterPower Garrett T62. What are your guys opinion on these turbos?
Also do you guys have any other suggestions?

Has anyone heard any negative or positive feedback from MasterPower turbos?
510rob

RE: what turbo for my RB?

Post by 510rob »

Please don't take this the wrong way - your plan is too scattered to worry about buying a turbo yet...

What is your goal? 450HP? 500HP? 600+HP? How are you going to build the motor up? What RPM range? What redline? What fuel will you be burning? What boost pressure are you thinking you will run? How will you be using the car? What is the weight of the target vehicle?

Also, turbo technology will change over the next 5 years to the point that buying a turbo right now for mounting in 5 years would be unwise - wait until you are ready for the turbo, then buy it based on your needs...

I bought a Master Power T61 - you can see the problems I had with the first one in my picture gallery...
http://www.the510realm.com/modules.php? ... _album.php
DETurbine

Post by DETurbine »

What is your goal? 450HP? 500HP? 600+HP? How are you going to build the motor up? What RPM range? What redline? What fuel will you be burning? What boost pressure are you thinking you will run? How will you be using the car? What is the weight of the target vehicle? ----------------

My goal is to start off with is 500hp, then plan on brining it up to around the 600 range. Here is what will be done to my motor: 87mm Wiseco's, RB26DETT rods which will be shot peened, ARP rod bolts, ARP head studs, and a 1.0mm Grex headgasket. Shortly after that I will get some HKS cames (ex.264 in. 256). Redline at first will be about 6,900-7k, then after cames probably more like 7,200. Boost will be between 20-26psi, mattering on what turbo of course. The car will be a summer daily driven car and the weight of the car is going to be about 2700lbs.

Have you heard anything about Mjmturbos?

Thanks for the feedback on the MasterPower's.

Zach
sspikey

Post by sspikey »

SELL that RB25det and get a RB26DETT
wow all that money your spending on the 25 isnt worth it get the 26 and just slap on a good fuelsystem.management, upgraded turbos and hit 700HP.
DETurbine

Post by DETurbine »

sspikey wrote:SELL that RB25det and get a RB26DETT
wow all that money your spending on the 25 isnt worth it get the 26 and just slap on a good fuelsystem.management, upgraded turbos and hit 700HP.
Actually it is not a waste of my money at all. I am spending less then those with the RB26 and will make just as much power. Why waste my money on a RB26 when I am building it any way?...Once I am done with my RB25, the only differenace is going to be the head which is not that much better. I spent $1800 for my motor, not the $6k+ to get a RB26 w/RB25 tranny. If you are wanting a stock setup that can make some good power,the RB26 is the way to go, but when building it, I wouldn't say the RB26 is any better for the price ($2,500-3k more then the RB25). Just becuase one RB26 has made it to 800hp on stock internals doesn't mean that all them can, plus most that want more then 400hp go single anyway just like I am doing.

There are so many little things you can do to the RB25 head to make the imperfections perfections. Just like porting out the intake ports to match the gasket. Every 100cfm equals about 10hp. Getting a simple surge tank can go along way on the RB25's as well.

I will stand by my RB25.
sspikey

Post by sspikey »

No problem experience has thaught me the RB26 rocks. Mckinney's drift car with the RB25DET all built up and modded wasnt that impressive to me compared to mildly modified 26 engines. Being able to scream 8250 redlines out of the box is bliss. We are on our third one. Our price are however ALOT cheaper then the US i think we pay around 3-5K canadian for complete motors with the 25 tranny here in Quebec. Good luck with the swap and look forward to some pics
ill assume this is going into a 240sx? This is the second one we did at the shop. Very fun car to drive and its getting GT-RS turbo upgrade kit installed this week. Yes those are 19" Volk SF winning wheels with 14.75" front rotora kit and 13.5" rear rotora kit
DETurbine

Post by DETurbine »

The RB26 is a great motor and is hard to beat, but when you get to research the motors you find out that there actually is not to much differance between the two except the disign of the heads. The block itself is the same as the RB26, just the internals from the RB26 are a little thicker. If you were to build an RB25 and RB26, they would be matched, so when it comes down to it the only differance is going to be the head, which I do not believe is worth all the extra money. I have seen RB30E (SOHC) get over the 850hp mark and run low 8's, so the RB25 wouldn't have a problem getting into the 1000hp+ region. If I could have gotton an RB26 w/RB25 for $4k or less and didn't find the motor I got for $1,800...I would have gone RB26.

My swap has been done for past a year now in my 240sx, just late last summer, I leaned it out and blew out the rings lands. That's why I am rebuilding it right now. Props on your guys swaps.....looks good. I will get some pictures of mine up later today.
DETurbine

Post by DETurbine »

Here is mine last summer before the motor took a shit. In another 4-5 months it will be looking allot different.

RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

Nice thread but I don't think you guys are on the right forum for this discussion. This should be on the 240SX, HybridZ or Skyline forums (which both of you are also subscribed to I believe). An RB discussion really is not very applicable to the 510 community.
1969 Datsun 510 4-door (donor shell for below)
1973 Datsun 510 SR20DET (sort of broken right now)
1998 Suzuki Escudo (JDM Sidekick Sport) 2.0TD 4x4 (daily driver)
2006 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 3V 4x2 (wife's ride)
2005 & 2006 Targa Newfoundland Entrant
DETurbine

Post by DETurbine »

Sorry, just was a turbo question and I know there are some people on here that are well knowledged with turbos. Wanted to get opinions from all groups.
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

No problemo - just the wrong forum - this one is for technical discussion about the Datsun PL510 specifically. There is also a general tech section labelled Nissan/Datsun a little further down in the index which is a more appropriate place for this subject.
1969 Datsun 510 4-door (donor shell for below)
1973 Datsun 510 SR20DET (sort of broken right now)
1998 Suzuki Escudo (JDM Sidekick Sport) 2.0TD 4x4 (daily driver)
2006 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 3V 4x2 (wife's ride)
2005 & 2006 Targa Newfoundland Entrant
sspikey

Post by sspikey »

Look at a GT30/40R hybrid for that motor
should spool nice however it isnt cheap...