ace028's 72 2 door

View and post your 510 project(s)
ace028

Re: ace028's 72 2 door

Post by ace028 »

Looks pretty good I think, I will need to sort out the dented up fenders, and the doors are rusted in the bottoms, the drivers door has seen better days.

If your wondering why it sits a lil funny, whoever cut the springs in the front didn't account for how smashed up the pass side was.

I also shaved the battery holder. I followed goichi1's guide, it went fine, but I kept burning through so it was challenging, I think because I was trying to make both sides of the weld smooth and it got too thin, lesson learned. I was using .023 wire and the pressure of argon/co2 at 20.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

I found some more pics of when I was prepping the new front end, I sprayed eastwoods metal etch weld thru primer on all the exposed metal that would overlap to prevent any rust from forming inbetween panels. I also bought eastwoods internal frame coating to put in the frame rails after I get the frame checked and all welding on the front end frame section is complete to include the new floor panels when I get them.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Great success! Very nice work resurrecting the car from the dead.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Thanks, it was a lot of work and still needs a little bit more welding. I notice your in washington, how far are you from Ft Lewis? I am going to request that base on return from my assignment.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Lots of guys in WA, but not I.

For TIG stuff, keep an eye on CL and eBay. I bought my lightly-used (ground clamp still looked new) TIG (Lincoln 185 Precision TIG) off eBay for $900 with a gas bottle. Seller even had his original receipt and manual, etc.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
ace028

Post by ace028 »

opps, sorry for some reason I thought you were goichi1 lol, its late here, I just saw the orange username text.

I'll keep a eye out on craigslist and ebay. I love new toys/tools. I really hope this car will turn out good, I was getting discouraged, my dad came out for Christmas and helped me out, and once it started being pieced together it really felt better and less discouraging.

Now to source some better doors, and fenders. The thing is the fenders have no rust, just someone welded up the side markers poorly. I tried to cut out the patch and grind off the welds on the passenger side fender, but I think they used high strength steel or something because it nearly ate my cut off wheel before it went through, and the patch appears to be 20ga. None of the other metal on the car was hard to cut with my disk. I would like to save the fenders because I know metal ones are getting harder to find that are not rusted out. Trying to avoid fiberglass if I can. The only fiberglass part I plan to use is the futofab spook.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Hey! man! Korea!! cool! you will enjoy that tour I'm sure. I have been there quite a few times and loved it. Lots of shopping there! I would guess you are doing a year there?? just enjoy it and have fun.

Your plug welding looks better than mine!! just keep practicing on the thin stuff....it makes the thicker stuff much easier!

I'm up in Oak Harbor, WA, all the way up near Canada, Fort Lewis is a little far south from me, it's down near Tacoma, but I hear its a nice area though. You would be close to Seattle and there is a lot to do around there.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Ya, just a year. We decided it would be easier for me to just come overhere and do a year and come back to the States. Ya its pretty cool here, there are little stores everywhere here. Too bad there are no Nissan's or any other Japaneese cars here, only Korean cars.

Hey thanks on the welding. Its a lot harder to weld then it looks, I give you big props for how well you can weld. I was planning on seeing if you could do up my gas tank for the SR conversion if your still doing them. From what I remember my tank is in great condition, and should turn out nicely. Also looking forward to seeing more progress on your wagon.

Oic, well maybe if I can get there to Fort Lewis maybe I can meet some of the 510 guys there. There was really no one when I was in North Carolina, plus being in the military keeps you pretty busy.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I understand about being busy in the military, I had been on sea duty and made sooo many deployments over most of my last 20 years. it's been crazy to say the least. My welding ain't that great, but I am trying hard to get better. You should do your tank yourself, that's a great project to hone your welding skills. You can MIG it in there like I did my first one.....and it came out ok.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

You know, when I saw your posts 18 months ago, with the front corner cut off and then no update, I just figured she was gone as usually happens. Then here you are much further ahead. Great job, glad you had a little more external motivation.

I had a Hobart that looked just like yours. It had 4 heat settings and was a 220V machine. Unfortunately it, also with $18000 in tools walked away from my rented shop a week before Christmas 2008. I don't need to go back in there, but the upside is that the replacement Hobart machine was supposed to be identical, but it has 7 heat settings and I swear there is something different about the power supply as the actual seemed much better. The old machine was good, no complaints. But the new machine did have some improvements on the power side. But what I can say is that the extra number of heat settings is very nice for the sheet metal.

Glad you have it put away until you return, way to stick with the project.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Hey thanks. I really wanted a 510, and I didn't have much options in North Carolina, and didn't have very much pocket money either, I figured I could do it, just got a little bit overwhelming once I dug into it. Plus I am on my second deployment/tour now since April 2011. Was only back for 10-11 months before leaving again.

Sorry to hear about your loss of tools, sounds like you had insurance on them though. I have it on mine as well, but prob should review the policy. When I was a auto tech, I heard horror stories about stolen tools so I made sure to inventory and insure them.

When I was buying the hobart, the in stock model at northern tool was only a 4 heat setting model, and the new one had 5 settings with metal drive mechanism vs the previous models plastic. So I special ordered the newer model and it came with the little cart. I had to buy the .023 roller (it says .024 on the roller) for the thin wire. So far I have been happy with it. Just need some practice. I hope to buy your rear camber/toe kit, hopefully my welding skills will be much better by then.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, not too sure when I will get back to it though. It will really depend on the place I get moved to once i'm done with this tour, but I am not gonna give up lol. Sorry for long post, on 24 hour shift with really nothing to do but look at Datsun stuff lol.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Yes, the loss of the tools was not good, and there was no insurance. It is was not good, I was extremely close to throwing in the towel for good at that point on the car hobby. I lost every single tool that I'd spent 20 year's collecting. It was crazy, they didn't leave a thing. They even took things like all my extension cords, even the used grinding wheels hung on a nail on the car. These guys new they had time, and took the time to take everything...

Sorry, I don't want to go there anymore.

The Hobart have been great machines for me. Mine has a steel drive assembly. And although I utilize. 023" wire 99% of the time. I and also set up with 030 & 035 wire and tips. My current machine has seen a lot of use, some of it abusive and my very first issue came just om this last job I'm working on now. The trigger stated acting up and being inconsistent. I took it apart, found a nice little micro switch which isn't serviceable and took a better look at the time strip of stainless which was the trigger contact. I gave it a slight bend, reassembled the switch and it works fine. I guess over time the stainless spring had relaxed and the contacts in the micro switch were not making contact.

Don't worry about your welding skill, that simply comes with time. A bit of reading now and then doesn't hurt. And surface preparation is the key to a good weld, no matter what you are working on.

Good luck on your deployment, lots of time now to plan. My hats off to you enlisted guys.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Thanks Bryon.

I can't wait to get back to work on it though. I have sourced another passenger door, rear quarter window brackets (not the latch), supposedly a 68 crossmember, and a cluster with tach (white needle tach so it doesnet match my orange needle ones that I have). Once I go home I will get to check them out more closely. I'm only going by pictures as of now. Plans for the tach and speedo are to have the drive mech replaced to GPS for speedo, and the tach made to work off the computer. I read in Spriso's thread how he had this done to a roadster, it was very clean.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Well, I made it back from Korea, and now i'm in the Monterey California area, and no garage to work on the 510. So I have taken it to Troy at emrish racing, and he's gonna double check my work, then seam weld the engine bay and media blast the whole car, as well as repair the rusty floor. So finally some more progress is gonna be made in the near future!!! I will post updates as I get them from Troy.
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

so cool to see this car back from the edge of the grave. We saw it when boltupright had it at his place. It was really nice except for the passenger corner of course. I thought it was worth saving- glad I was not alone :D