A 4 door for my Stable

View and post your 510 project(s)
qwik510
Supporter

A 4 door for my Stable

Post by qwik510 »

I know, I have too many 510s. Two 2 doors and a wagon. But I have never held onto a 4 door.

Well about a month ago, I get a call from a friend that used to own a 510 telling me that someone he knows is thinking about selling his 510 due to relocating to the west coast. He asks if I know anyone looking for a 510. I am always trying to match 510s and new owners so I told him to have the seller get in touch.

The guy calls me and tells me that he really doesn't want to sell it but he thinks it is best for his situation right now. He describes the car to me and it all sounds good. It is a 72 4 door that was originally from Cali, made its way to AZ and then to his place in VA in 2008. He drove it all of 800 miles the first year he had it and then it sat in his garage since 2009. He collected parts to do some upgrades but life and work and kids got in the way and he never touched it. We arranged for me to come down and see it the following weekend. He calls me the next day and says he is can't part with it. He says he will give me first dibs if he changes his mind but is planning on moving it with him. A week and a half goes by and on Saturday afternoon I get a call from him. He says he is going to sell it and if I still want to come down, he could see me the next day.

Sunday Morning, I load up the tow dolly and a pocket full of $100 bills and drive 130 miles to go see it. I get there and the car is in the garage and looks sweet. I check it all out and find a few minor rust spots and the car needs some sorting but overall, it is a really nice car.

Here are the pictures that the seller had sent me.

Did I forget to mention it has a VG30 swap? :shock:

So I take a test drive and decide that there is no way I am going home w/o this car. I paid his asking price and got it loaded up and headed for home.

Old Owner saying goodbye.

Gas-ing up on the way home. Thanks to my great GF for loaning me her Jeep to tow it home.

Once home I gave it an oil change and some fresh coolant and a good once over. I changed the stock steering wheel for a grant I had and I prepped and painted the top of the core support. For some reason, it was never painted when the car was painted but the engine compartment was. It was multi colored and ugly. Looks better now.

I took the car to the SPEC510 meet this past weekend and it did great. Small miss in the motor that goes away once it is warmed up, needs an alignment and some other stuff but overall it is ready to be a driver. The VG power is sweet. Nice torque and it pulls to over 6500rpms.

I plan to move the ECU from the passenger firewall to under the glove box to get it out of the way of clumsy feet. Do some other clean up of the wiring, install a nice set of comfy seats and drive the car. It will be my weekend driver while I get the 2 door VG33 project done.

Here are pics.

I never was a 4 door guy but after this weekend at SPEC510, I may have been converted. I took my 19 year old son, my 15 year old daughter and her friend and it was easy in and out of the car, no one complained that is was tight and we all got to do parade laps in it. The VG power and torque is great for a 510. It pulls well with four in it too. I am starting to love 4 doors. This might just have to be a keeper.

I guess I need one of each, 2 door, wagon and 4 door. Do I need to sell one of my 2 doors? :?
Last edited by qwik510 on 22 May 2013 12:46, edited 2 times in total.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
two_68_510s
Supporter

Re: A 4 door for my Stable

Post by two_68_510s »

No.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

qwik510 wrote:Do I need to sell one of my 2 doors? :?
Which one? Your wagon is a two-door... :shock:

Nice find. That'd be a nice find in CA!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Nice David, I've always preferred the wagons first, the 4 doors second and the 2 doors a distant third. I always remember my first 2 door 510 when I was 16 and how hard it was to move people or stuff in it.
Jason
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Awesome rig! You need to add to the list changing the rims though. I'm just not a fan of Honda wheels on a datto.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

icehouse wrote:Awesome rig! You need to add to the list changing the rims though. I'm just not a fan of Honda wheels on a datto.
I hear you but they are growing on me. 16" wheels and they fit well. Locating tires for a decent price will determine if I stay with them or maybe bolt on my Panasports.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

okayfine wrote:
qwik510 wrote:Do I need to sell one of my 2 doors? :?
Which one? Your wagon is a two-door... :shock:

Nice find. That'd be a nice find in CA!
Which one? The one with the L series :P

Thanks,
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Great looking car. I'm kinda digging in rims, they fit well. I would just powder cost black. Just my opinion obviously
looking for pass. side arm rest
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

While at Dave's house before SPEC510 he showed me the 510 and tole me of the story behind it and all I can say is "Deal of the Century" 510 is in excellent shape and like Dave said, a few things need attention. Attention like a 6 beer job and some tunes. Keep'm all Dave, I hate to see a grown man cry!!!

Lou "B2"
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

PoorMtnKid wrote:Great looking car. I'm kinda digging in rims, they fit well. I would just powder cost black. Just my opinion obviously
Yes black would hide them therefor help :)
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

Well that is one way of having a VG 510 on the road.

Good looking car David!
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Dave Patten wrote:Well that is one way of having a VG 510 on the road.

Good looking car David!

That's what I was thinking :oops:

Thanks!
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
nullbound

Post by nullbound »

Very nice find! :mrgreen:

Dibs if you sell it? :lol:
speeder

Post by speeder »

I'd say you got a really nice car and a major score for the East Coast where old metal doesn't last. The interior looks mint!
'72 4 door 510, '68 2000 Roadster