Calling all who can help!!!!!!!

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Braden620

Calling all who can help!!!!!!!

Post by Braden620 »

You may remember me posting over a year ago that my 69 510 was stolen. Finally after many months of court they are finally going to sentence the perpetrator. Restitution will be ordered. Originally on the police report I had told the officer the car was worth about 2500$ to me. I am going to file for $2500 in restitution. This car was given to me by my grandfather and had some good sentimental value. I'm not suing for some ungodly amount of money but 2500$ is what I would feel comfortable with as reimbursement for my car and all the troubles. In order for me to file I need to be able to show some sort of proof of value. It doesn't matter what kind of proof, just something. Even written statements. I need your help in closing this case once and for all!!!! Please help me by offering advice, general appraisals, and links to similar or same year 510's. It doesn't matter what shape the cars are in and even a variety from total resto to bare shells would be great! I have to file within 10 days. Any help would truly and greatly be appreciated. Merry CHRISTmas to all!
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Calling all who can help!!!!!!!

Post by okayfine »

I might also hit them with sales of cars that are much nicer than yours, since those values will be correspondingly higher and help prove out the value you're asking for your car.

Such as the white two-door that just went on eBay for $15,000:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Dat ... 19d7a18ea6

And the black four-door that was bid up to $17,000:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUSTOME- ... 1c2e2b3233

Hagerty Insurance has a valuation tool, with results for a '69 510:
Four-door
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/H ... vc=1328805

Two-door ($1300 higher)
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/H ... vc=1328807

Hagerty also has condition descriptions, so you can more closely match your car to their valuations, which will also show stronger in the eyes of the court.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Braden620

Post by Braden620 »

Thank you so much for that information and advice!! That already helps alot.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Also, depending on your location if you have a well-known Datsun-centric shop around you, perhaps get them to write a letter on your behalf that appraises your car, even if it's after the fact. SoCal has Les Cannaday, NorCal has Rebello, Oregon has Steve Epperly at ZTherapy, etc.

Two-door values are rising very quickly. Another avenue you could use is finding local CL ads with comparable cars. Quite possible they'll be averaging asking prices much higher than what you're seeking. Sure, asking doesn't equal selling, but you also can't really price in your sentimental (grandfather) value, so it all comes out in the wash. Essentially I'm saying $2500 may be too little, depending on the condition of your car. And, heck, if you have a build thread here or on Ratsun, you might print that out as well.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Braden620

Post by Braden620 »

It wasn't in the best of shape but it WAS usable. The body had been sanded down for paint and then never painted. It had lots of surface pitting. It didn't have an engine but other than that it was a complete car! I dont have any local datsun shops. Me and my brother are the only datsuns for miles and miles. Datsuns are like unicorns here.
Braden620

Post by Braden620 »

tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

that is about a $500 - $1000 bucker around here. good luck with your claim.
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Can't put a price on sentiment.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Oh. I'd paged back through some of the OP's posts and saw a black two-door with some sort of front-mount intercooler. The four-door above will be a tougher claim. GL
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

okayfine wrote:Also, depending on your location if you have a well-known Datsun-centric shop around you, perhaps get them to write a letter on your behalf that appraises your car, even if it's after the fact. SoCal has Les Cannaday, NorCal has Rebello, Oregon has Steve Epperly at ZTherapy, etc.

Two-door values are rising very quickly. Another avenue you could use is finding local CL ads with comparable cars. Quite possible they'll be averaging asking prices much higher than what you're seeking. Sure, asking doesn't equal selling, but you also can't really price in your sentimental (grandfather) value, so it all comes out in the wash. Essentially I'm saying $2500 may be too little, depending on the condition of your car. And, heck, if you have a build thread here or on Ratsun, you might print that out as well.
I totally agree with Mr. Fine here. Keep in mind, your car was valuable enough for this clod to have stolen it. $2,500 Seems shy to me too.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The car was stolen for scrap. $500 or $2,500 face value doesn't enter into a tweekers head. It was available and I think on a trailer too? and easy to steal. The scrap yard should have been held responsible too. Bet Jimmy Hoffa is in a trunk somewhere.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

datzenmike wrote:Can't put a price on sentiment.
very true but an insurance corp doesnt bring sentiment into the price picture. i dont mean any disrespect here either guys, just being realistic.
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
Braden620

Post by Braden620 »

It wasn't on a trailer it was parked in my field.
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

tycot1 wrote:
datzenmike wrote:Can't put a price on sentiment.
very true but an insurance corp doesnt bring sentiment into the price picture. i dont mean any disrespect here either guys, just being realistic.
If this was an insurance settlement I would agree, but this is for court ordered restitution. I'm pretty sure that the courts will consider less tangible damage like sentiment. That said, collecting will be a whole other problem. Maybe you'll end up with a truck and trailer as payment.
1972 Yellow 4dr