Internal wire diagram for starter relay and Inhibitor switch

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
thumper

Internal wire diagram for starter relay and Inhibitor switch

Post by thumper »

Hey Guys,

I have a 71 510 and am looking to install a new Starter relay and a inhibitor relay.

I am trying to find a internal wire diagram for theses relays. All of the manuals I have and can find online just show the 3 wires going to it but does not show the internal diagram. I am trying to see if I can find a universal 3 pin relay and replace these 2 relays,

I know I can find 4 pin automotive relays here. Anyone have a idea if I can use these?

Just trying to figure out what I should look for when I go to the store later.

Thanks
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Internal wire diagram for starter relay and Inhibitor sw

Post by datzenmike »

I don't think there is a relay for the starter. The start signal comes directly from the ignition switch. A four wire relay from a 720 (probably zx or any early '80s Datsun) will work. Run the ignition START wire to one side of the coil on the relay, ground the other. Run +12 to one side and the starter solenoid to the other two terminals on the relay.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
thumper

Post by thumper »

datzenmike wrote:I don't think there is a relay for the starter. The start signal comes directly from the ignition switch. A four wire relay from a 720 (probably zx or any early '80s Datsun) will work. Run the ignition START wire to one side of the coil on the relay, ground the other. Run +12 to one side and the starter solenoid to the other two terminals on the relay.
I know this might be hard to see. But this is the diagram I am working off of. All the wire colours match in my car to this.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/ ... wiring.jpg

The relay in my car has 3 wires. One goes to ignition, One goes to starter solenoid and one goes to the switch inhibitor.

So was going to replace both these relays. I can try to wire a 4 pin relay later today.

Do I even need the switch inhibitor? My car is manual.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Why are you replacing..... it?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

datzenmike wrote:Why are you replacing..... it?
Yes...Why? System not working?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
thumper

Post by thumper »

Having a intermittent starting problem with the starter.
Those 2 relays are really corroded and replacements not available locally. So wanted to replace them to eliminate that as a problem.
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

ignition switch goes to the starter selinoid.when key in START you get 12volts at the selinoid. This is stock 510 datsun.

Now people get those blk light relays if you think you have a low voltage issue at the ignition switch. Ify our getting alot of clicking and you already swap another starter in there.

the relay has 85/86 as the trigger side(Low current /voltage is all thats neede to trigger the relay.
so hook the starter wire that was going to the selinoid to pin 86 of blk relay.
pin 85 would be ground/chassis. I assume you can use a chassis ground like to the body of the car.

pin 30 of relay youll hook up to the batter +side. What i would do is hook it up to the battery lug where your batter cable hook to starter/fusable link wire.(to keep it low and not easlily seen as soem have 25wires at the tiop of the +side of battery and looks like shit.
Now you take pin 87 from the relay and put it to the starter selinoid tab.

so to sum it up when you hit that starter the orginal starter wire triggers the relay to put the FULL battery voltage and current to push the seliniod IN to trigger the starter to turn on.

I have a drawing but no on this computer Iam using I can send one later if needed.

Some call it HOT START relay

why you have 2relays i dont know. Have a automaic? if so soem just use a jumper to cancell that out.
I cant read the schematic its too small.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

banzai510(hainz) wrote:
why you have 2relays i dont know. Have a automaic? if so soem just use a jumper to cancell that out.
I cant read the schematic its too small.
I have notices on the later 72/73 cars that there were two relays on the RH inner fender, one of them affected the chargeing circuit in some way - if they were unplugged I recal the charge light on the dash comming one. I always thought the other relay was a choke relay for the electic choke... Maybe I've been mistaken.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
banzai510(hainz)

Byron.
Yes I know the choke relay is there but I dont think it has NOTHING to do with the STARTER circut.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

banzai510(hainz) wrote:Byron.
Yes I know the choke relay is there but I dont think it has NOTHING to do with the STARTER circut.
It's been a while since I've owned a 72/73 - I was under the assumption that those two relays were a change light relay and a choke relay.

I could be wrong though, anybody have one of these cars with the original wiring still intacted who could chime in?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
banzai510(hainz)

starter relay hookup

I really dont know if the fuse is needed in the drawing. I never seen one used myself
Attachments
blklighthotstartrelay.JPG
blklighthotstartrelay.JPG (13.44 KiB) Viewed 7050 times