Ignition switch?

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Janky510

Ignition switch?

Post by Janky510 »

On my 69 wagon, the ignition switch is located on the left of the steering column, in a black plastic shroud that wraps around the column. The switch is just hanging there loosely. Is there something I'm missing to attach it to the column somehow?
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Re: Ignition switch?

Post by StrutlessWonder »

The small black plastic piece with the hole in it should attach to the sheetmetal underside of the dash just to the left of the steering column with two machine screws. The switch should mount through the back of the round hole in this piece with a plastic spacer and a metal lockring that screws onto the ignition switch from the front. Hold the switch vertical as you tighten the lovkring so you dont twist all the wires behind the switch (which happens if the switch itself also rotates as you tighten the metal lockring). I'm sure someone or google can provide a picture. Good luck!
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"
Janky510

Post by Janky510 »

So you're saying that there's a separate piece from the column that bolts under the dash?
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Janky510 wrote:So you're saying that there's a separate piece from the column that bolts under the dash?
Yup. It's the plastic trim that has the ignition switch attached to it. I no longer have a '69, so here's a random pic from a google search that shows the piece just hanging (instead of being attached under the dash next to the steering column):

Hope this helps.
Kurt Hafer
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

This is what it should look like for '69, excepting for the flip-flop due to RHD:

Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Janky510

Post by Janky510 »

Ok I have the plastic piece and the ignition switch but it looks like there another collar that goes around the switch that I don't have.
Here are some pics I took of mine
http://m1263.photobucket.com/albumview/ ... g.html?o=1
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

What you have is the early ignition switch in a late housing. The late ignition switch (to match the housing you have) would look like this:
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.83 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

You can get a pc of sheet metal and make a bracket drill a hole to put the switch in and put under the light switch.
Thats how mine is as I dont have the pc to put mine in either on my 69.
Janky510

Post by Janky510 »

Where can I get the late ignition switch?
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Janky510 wrote:Where can I get the late ignition switch?
Don't bother. Really. Just get or make the proper trim pc and get the proper steering wheel trim. Keep the '69 features '69.
You'll be glad you did. Really.
Kurt Hafer
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Variety of ways to get the early switch to fit and stay in the late column cover. Large fender washers, drilled to the correct center bore, sandwich the washers around the opening in the late cover is but one general idea.