Brake Help please. Bleeding Master and wheel cylinders

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
thumper

Brake Help please. Bleeding Master and wheel cylinders

Post by thumper »

Hello Everyone,

I am having some issues with my brakes on my 71 dime and hoping someone can help me out. I was trying to search but could not find this situation.

This one is new to me. So this is the first time I have bled the brakes on this car. Not sure if prev owner bled or not but brake pedal did not have a good feel to it when I bought it so I decided to change the brakes and bleed to make sure everything was functional.

I upgraded to 280zx front hubs/brakes. I got new rotors, pads, brake lines, and calipers professionally rebuilt for the front.

Rear I have not touched yet. I have nos shoes but have not installed.

When I bleed brakes. The fronts bleed fine. I am having a problem with the rears. No fluid comes out when I try to bleed.
When I try to bleed from master cylinder, no fluid comes out and the fluid does not go down from the rear brake reservoir.

When I open rear bleeders. I can't get fluid to flow.

This leads me to believe there is a problem with my Master cylinder. I am having trouble finding a new 260z master cylinder locally. I am also having difficulty finding a 510 one locally.

I was going to replace wheel cylinders to 72 datsun 1200 to change bias and get my 510 master rebuilt.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Brake Help please. Bleeding Master and wheel cylinders

Post by okayfine »

thumper wrote:When I bleed brakes. The fronts bleed fine. I am having a problem with the rears. No fluid comes out when I try to bleed.
When I try to bleed from master cylinder, no fluid comes out and the fluid does not go down from the rear brake reservoir.
Dunno that you need much help, you know where the problem is :mrgreen:

Sometimes people recommend disassembling a rebuilt BMC and clean it out. People have reported metal bits in the bore now and again, which destroys the seal(s) at first push. Your BMC may have a clog, but it sounds borked either way.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
thumper

Post by thumper »

Yeah thats what I was figuring. I have not gotten it rebuilt yet. But does seem like there is a clog. I can take it out tonight and see if I can clean it out.

I can't figure out anything else that might be wrong with it.

Just tried to order 1200 wheel cylinders and they are obsolete from places here. :(

So if I can clean out the master and get fluid flowing at least I can bleed brakes and drive car and order 1200 wheel cylinders online.

All the cars I build never had 1 clogged master. Kinda wanted to make sure I was not missing anything. lol
James

Post by James »

Not knowing the history on your situation - it may be worth making sure the line is clear for fluid to be pushed through. you can disconnect line top and bottom and blow some compressed air through to see if it is open......
Finished is better than perfect......
thumper

Post by thumper »

James wrote:Not knowing the history on your situation - it may be worth making sure the line is clear for fluid to be pushed through. you can disconnect line top and bottom and blow some compressed air through to see if it is open......
Good idea as well. I am going to try this as well if i can tonight.

Another thing is No fluid at all came out or either rear wheel cylinders when I opened them. All the lines are new. So I think the prev owner only bled front brakes before and when he figured out the rear was clogged. He stopped driving it.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

1200 rear wheel cylinder show available from RockAuto, but you might want to check on the bore sizes to make sure they're what you want:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carco ... ttype,1952

----
EDIT

Now that I look at the 510 offerings, they also list 13/16th. I'd assume it's the 1200 bits that have been superceded and are now offering a non-OEM rear bore size.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
thumper

Post by thumper »

okayfine wrote:1200 rear wheel cylinder show available from RockAuto, but you might want to check on the bore sizes to make sure they're what you want:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carco ... ttype,1952
Thats interesting....

Rock auto lists 13/16 bore size for the 1200 and 510. But I found a thread here where it was talked about a different bore size for the 1200. Tiem to do a bit more research.

The only thing that kills me with Rock Auto is the shipping to Canada.
andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori »

I agree with the to Canada shipping ....... but when there is a problem they are AMAZING with their cust service. when I bought new rod ends they kept sending the smaller diameter 1968 size to me and didn't ask for any parts to be sent back. I now have almost 2 full sets of 1968 rod ends in stock.

AM
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
1972 Triumph GT6 SCCA Vintage Race Car
1974 Mazda RX3 former IMSA race car
thumper

Post by thumper »

^^How long does it take to get your orders from Rock auto to Canada?
andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori »

Inside of a week.
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
1972 Triumph GT6 SCCA Vintage Race Car
1974 Mazda RX3 former IMSA race car