The SSE (Super Sport Estate) Project

View and post your 510 project(s)
510wizard
Supporter

Re: The SSE (Super Sport Estate) Project

Post by 510wizard »

Since the weather here has been unseasonably nice , I rolled the engine outside yesterday to drain the oil and put a new oil filter on. Also did a few other things like remove the power steering pump and some general clean up.

I am going to build an engine test stand , so that I can mess with it, instead of leaning over an engine compartment. Should be a lot easier to get it running. I do have to order some flywheel bolts, since the engine was originally from an auto and the bolts are different for a manual.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

510wizard wrote: I am going to build an engine test stand

You take doing it right to a whole new level.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

RonM wrote:You take doing it right to a whole new level.
VTOL engine test stand? :shock:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I see that FJ hood still needs paint!! I figured you'd be done with that project by now!!
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I also remember a video of a guy starting one up on the floor. Looked like it ran smooth and didn't jump around.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

goichi1 wrote:I see that FJ hood still needs paint!! I figured you'd be done with that project by now!!
Yea right, still lots to do to that project too! Now you're making me feel bad about not working on that project. :o One thing about the FJ, it's going to be worth something when it done, where the 510's are kind of stuck in value appreciation. But, the 510's are a lot more fun!
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Finished the ECU wiring harness down to the test prototype stage. Hooked up the Nissan Consult lll to the OB2 plug, so that I can program the NATS ( Nissan Anti Theft System). The NATS must be programed to allow the engine to fire. One problem though, the Consult won't communicate with the ECU, rechecked the OB2 plug to the ECU. Checked ok, did notice that the ECM relay not closing. Dam, looks like my long awaited Ebay ECU find is bad. Time to put my 39 years of chasing electrons to use. I found that besides the ECM relay not engaging that the processor in the ECU wasn't running, which is why no communication with the Consult. Traced the circuit in the ECU back to a defective mosfet power switch. Found the same part in the G35 auto ECU, removed it and placed it in the Maxima ECU. Here are some pictures of the part placement in the ECU's. Note the size compared to the pencil tip.

Here's the part installed in the Maxima ECU;

After replacing the part, the ECU came to life, the relay works, the fuel pump runs for couple of seconds like it is supposed to. Next, with my fingers crossed, I hooked back up the Consult to the harness. Success, communication! Finished the programming of the NATS, no more security light. Though the Consult, I can control the fuel pump and watch the changing of the voltages on the throttle pedal when moved. Looks like it going to work. Next up is the finishing of the engine stand and hopefully the starting of the engine. Fingers are still crossed, that there is not any further problems with the Ebay ECU.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Nice surface-mount skills. Great work!
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Thanks, I did notice that my eye's aren't what they used to be. It's a bitch getting old.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Always wondered why you were the 510wizard :D , great troubleshooting as well!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Holy crap, thats really cool, I repaired a card in an old big screen TV once, it was fun but didn't look as nice as your skills there, but it worked!!
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

S15DET wrote:Nice surface-mount skills. Great work!
good stuff right there!
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Update: Got the engine stand completed, used steel from an old tread mill and some cheap HF casters. Wanted to be able to roll the assembly in and out of the workshop easily.

JWT flywheel installed, old VG fuel pressure regulator mounted on the intake manifold for test purposes. Found an old metal gas can that I used to use when I mowed lawns in high school, couldn't find a metal can at the stores, all plastic these days. Mounted a fuel pump assembly into it with a fuel filter.

Removed the power steering pump and the air conditioning compressor. Ordered a shorter belt for the remaining alternator.

Wired some LED's for the oil pressure, Mil light, and charge light. Note: key inserted into Nats antenna.

Hooked up the modified harness to the engine with the repaired ECU, programed Nats , electronic throttle,and relays / fuses. Time to cross my fingers and do a little prayer to the engine gods. Please start, oh pretty please.

IT RUNS!!!!!!

Made a little video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd-ex-DBthI

This is a major accomplishment for the project. Next up is to make a fuel pressure regulator holder that uses a Bosch FPR at 3.5 bar.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

510wizard wrote:Update:

IT RUNS!!!!!!
:mrgreen: I know how it feels!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
eoot

Post by eoot »

absolutely incredible work! Looking forward to seeing the hottest Goon on the planet up and running.
1970 2dr with S13 SR20DET and S15 6Speed