by 2005, is the aircare gonna be gone forever?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Darrell

by 2005, is the aircare gonna be gone forever?

Post by Darrell »

if ICBC go privet, there'll be no aircare right?
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

No...AirCare is a provincial government thing.
Why would an insurance company care about the air quality in the first place?
The BC government started the program, and ICBC just does what they say, and that is all cars must pass an emission test to receive insurance.
Even when it goes private, same will hold true.

I enjoy clean air, I don't want AirCare to disappear! Especially here in Chilliwack. All you Van people have no idea. The ocean air blows down the valley and brings the pollution with it. But it tehn gets stuck at the end of the valley, Chilliwack. It's pretty bad when you live next to mountains and you can't see then in the middle of the day.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
wtf

Post by wtf »

Yea, I like aircare. It keeps those '70 gramma-drivin' boats off the road !
Cazzzidy

Post by Cazzzidy »

Well, air care sounds like a breeze.

If I understand correctly, you just need to prove your car emits less than a certain amount of various pollutants? They probably check your gas tank cap too...

Here in sunny Cali, we have the wonderful SMOG program. Now, I am happy that they make 73 + vehicles prove that they are within pollution spec, but I hate the visual inspections!

You cant have an intake or any motor modifications. You can't swap or force induce any motor. It states that the car's drive train must be prefectly stock. Thats frustrating!

At least air care will pass you, even with a swap, as long as the car is not polluting. Thats how it should be here, too.
wtf

Post by wtf »

Yea, that's pretty freaking lame. I've heard about that. I mean cars are a hobby for ALOT of people. What're you supposed to do rebuild the car around the engine ?!
MUNSTERSIZED

Post by MUNSTERSIZED »

that's right tod :( I'm here in chico cal, where my 72 510 is exempt but my 78 620 pick-up has to have the sniffer up the pipe & visiual as well. but in the neck 4 yrs it becomes exempt ya ya ya! :mrgreen:
IT'S NOT JUST A COMPACT, IT'S A STILE ON WHEEL'S!....ooohhhhh yaaaa
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

a few of my friends and my mechanic told me AirCare is ICBC owned.
wtf

Post by wtf »

I think your wrong on that one, I believe it's government, is it not ?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Air care is curently owned and run but some Texin company, the BC government just pays them for the contract. what I read is that this contract will not be renewed.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

In British Columbia, the Motor Vehicle Emissions Inspection and Maintenance Program (aka "AirCare") has been operating since 1992. The program was developed in partnership with the Ministry of Water, Land and Air Protection and the Greater Vancouver Regional District (GVRD) to address the deteriorating air quality of the Lower Fraser Valley. The AirCare program is administered by the Greater Vancouver Transportation Authority (TransLink). In the Fraser Valley (Abbotsford and Chilliwack), TransLink administers the AirCare program on behalf of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC).

AirCare tests vehicles for the following regulated pollutants: Hydrocarbons (HC), Carbon Monoxide (CO), Oxides of Nitrogen and Diesel particulate. By identifying excess-emitting vehicles, AirCare has taken an important step to improving the quality of air we breathe.

more....
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
68Datsun510

cali emissions (aircare but worse)

Post by 68Datsun510 »

the really sad part of california's emissions testing is that you could have a hemi charger with a weiland 8-71 blower and assuming somehow you pass emissions, you get a Fail just because of what you have under the hood

in other words, even if it does pass with a blower/turbo/intake, you fail

gotta love cali, especially now that the Terminator is probably gonna be our new governor :D