510 ka24de transmision crossmember and drive shaft help

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Grajeda

510 ka24de transmision crossmember and drive shaft help

Post by Grajeda »

Hello, almost done with ka swap but now not sure on trany crossmember and driveshaft.

*1. crossmember

I have a ka24de with stock transmission, using 510 motor mounts.

trying to figure out how high the transmission should be. ive seen both ways done (pictures below). And noticing one is lower than the other. i would perfer to do it the high way (picture 1) for two reasons, 1. easier to fabricate 2. transmission will be higher and not hit all over the place
(im guna be low). the 2nd picture the transmission end is almost at the same height as the diff end but not sure if the engine/tranny is leveled enough, dont want to have it crooked (pic 3, drivrshaft 3 high strain bad vibe). So any input? btw i will be using angle iron, little less than 1/4" thick.

*2. driveshaft

I know that the 510 driveshaft fits by shortining it and cutting the dust shield? is the part i marked where i should cut to remove the shield? (pictired below) Before i was using a 280zx 5 speed transmision with my L20, not sure what the driveshaft is from but would it also work with my ka24de?

Thanks in advance
okayfine
Supporter

Re: 510 ka24de transmision crossmember and drive shaft help

Post by okayfine »

Grajeda wrote:So any input?
You have the graphic that shows what's acceptable for driveshaft phasing, so I'm not sure what you're asking input for. Mount it for a "green" rating, or accept the consequences. Your pictures aren't good enough, and you provide no measurements otherwise, for anyone to say #1 is better or worse than #2.
Grajeda wrote:I know that the 510 driveshaft fits by shortining it and cutting the dust shield?
You know this? It would seem impossible, since the 510 D/S is about 6" longer than will fit with a KA swap. At least I've always had to chop serious inches from a D/S when converting to a KA or SR...
Grajeda wrote: is the part i marked where i should cut to remove the shield? (pictired below) Before i was using a 280zx 5 speed transmision with my L20, not sure what the driveshaft is from but would it also work with my ka24de?
The shield should be removed, since it provides no benefit on a KA trans. The driveline shop can pop it off for you when you take your D/S in to get shortened.

If you think your D/S for the ZX 5-speed will fit with the shield removed, that's fine. Two pieces of advice - 1. Don't refer to your D/S as a "510 driveshaft" above if it's not actually OE length, this confuses things. 2. Why don't you measure from your trans to your diff, then measure the D/S you have and SEE FOR YOURSELF if it will fit?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Grajeda

Post by Grajeda »

umm yeah its obviously to long, i was asking about fitting in the transmission.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Then you need to ask better questions. A 510 D/S snout will fit in a KA trans, but you'd know this if you bothered to search one of the many, many threads on shortening D/S to fit swapped 510s. Or, again, bothered to try it yourself first.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PD ... angles.pdf

Don't forget you can re-shim the diff! I have found that I keep my drive shaft angularity within 2 degrees, on my 510, otherwise you will have fierce vibration and rumble. I think that is why Nissan actually had room to move the diff up or down and be able to have some "tilt" in the rear cross member.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Grajeda

Post by Grajeda »

okayfine wrote:Then you need to ask better questions. A 510 D/S snout will fit in a KA trans, but you'd know this if you bothered to search one of the many, many threads on shortening D/S to fit swapped 510s. Or, again, bothered to try it yourself first.
I asked which height of the transmission is saver, if the part i marked is the dust shield and if a driveshaft that works with a 280zx trany would work on a ka24de? What better questions do i need if thats i i wanted to know? I know a 510 snout will fit a ka24de (i even said it in my first post) but last time i checked a 510 didnt come stock with a 280zx 5 speed trany cus thats what i had before.
Grajeda

Post by Grajeda »

bertvorgon wrote:http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PD ... angles.pdf

Don't forget you can re-shim the diff! I have found that I keep my drive shaft angularity within 2 degrees, on my 510, otherwise you will have fierce vibration and rumble. I think that is why Nissan actually had room to move the diff up or down and be able to have some "tilt" in the rear cross member.
yeah thanks
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Grajeda wrote:I asked which height of the transmission is saver,
And yet you posted a picture of various D/S phasings which already indicates which is better. Only you can correlate the phasing degrees shown in the photo to what you have in your car with your Option A and Option B mountings. If you have questions about the diagram (reasons, accuracy, etc.) then state that. We cannot possibly make the judgement you're asking based on the information provided.
Grajeda wrote:and if a driveshaft that works with a 280zx trany would work on a ka24de?
Because you think you asked that doesn't mean what you typed equaled that. And
Grajeda wrote:I know a 510 snout will fit a ka24de (i even said it in my first post) but last time i checked a 510 didnt come stock with a 280zx 5 speed trany cus thats what i had before.
If a frickin' OE 510 D/S from 1967 will fit into a 1989+ KA trans without issue, why would something in between be an issue? Have you ever hear of any of the millions of Z/ZX 5-speed swaps requiring a new snout? Yes, of course, with the ZX T5 trans. You didn't indicate what trans you actually had, so it was impossible to answer your question once you got around the clarifying it.

Regardless, all you had to do was roll under your car and try to stick the snout into the trans. Go/no-go? Takes you less time to do that than to type your whole OP.
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

both transmissions look to sit about the same to me . the only difference i see is that one car has a exhaust tunnel
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

Hate to revive a thread as intense as this one was.... but I had a quick question about the driveline phasing. I had a U joint bust, so I'm going to realign everything just to be safe.

Does anyone know what the stock angles of the motor / transmission, driveshaft and rear end is? (I have a wagon, so that might be another issue)

I believe I set the motor up originally to be tilted at about -1° (the nose tilted higher than the rear). But that was based on the reading I got from the orig. 1600 motor and who knows if that was even correct...

in a comment above, someone stated that the driveshaft is around 2°.. just wondering if anyone had any other numbers to shoot for. With so many things to shim, I'd like to get one thing set close to stock, and align everything else accordingly.

Thanks
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Graphic at the top basically shows what to shoot for. Never had issues with driveline phasing when swapping, and no one's ever really had an issue when changing short 4-speed trans for long 5-speed trans either.

It doesn't really matter what the stock angles were, you just need to know what your u-joints are happy with and plan accordingly. Driveline shop or the manufacturer should be able to give you that info.
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

Cool. My uncle (big-rig mechanic who knows a ton about driveshaft alignment) made a fuss about getting the correct stock angles, but I suppose we should just measure everything and pick one side to start from to achieve balance as close to the above diagram as possible. From what I've read, never more than 3° difference in the system, and closer to 1° (if not perfect alignment obviously).

-R
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I've not seen stock numbers in any of the FSMs, but then I never looked too hard. You'd be surprised at how much OE rubber mounts will have settled/degraded over time, so even OE specs might not help unless you have OE mounts. Had issues with the half-shaft angles on low 510s, but not DS angles due to swaps/longer transmissions.