VG30DETT 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
datsunscom
Supporter

Re: VG30DETT 510

Post by datsunscom »

Today's progress: I got the enigne back in the car Image. There are a few intricacies about dropping in theengine/trans assembly, one of them is the Z32 trans has a remote shifter and the part that bolts to the trans tunnel needs to be supported and the transmission needs to be below it...I forgot about this little "feature" and the only remedy is to pull the engine/trans out enough to be able to move the other piece upward to support it.

While I don't have the pull the engine completely back out of the car, I do have to pull it off the motor mounts and bring it forward about 6in to do this work. While this sounds trivial, with this swap upon reassembly that is someimtes the most difficult to get past. Either way it is progress compared to last week.
supra510

Post by supra510 »

Are driving this thing yet Dave?
Anthony
'71 wagon, 2jz-gte engine, other stuff
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/674663
blueridgespeed
Supporter

Post by blueridgespeed »

Dave! I'm only on here sporadically but it's a treat to see you updating us on Red's newly reworked engine. From talking to you about it at the Mitty, I knew it was going to be pretty amazing - and it's that. I'm looking forward to the updates too.
datsunscom
Supporter

Post by datsunscom »

Thanks! No it's not on the road yet, I can only say I have a 4-day weekend starting Friday and more than a few hours are dedicated to some kind of progress on it as the rest of the family is out of town...
datsunscom
Supporter

Re: VG30DETT 510 Update!

Post by datsunscom »

There has been recent progress
http://www.datsuns.com/red/2011/FullView_9-18-11.jpg
This shows upgraded intercoolers (taped up to protect the find during assembly)

Also fooling around with splitter ideas:
http://www.datsuns.com/red/2011/2011-splitter3.jpg

No, there is no official ETA, but there has been significant progress lately.
iceD

Post by iceD »

That's a bonnet full.

ice D
Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

Very nice work! How much do these motors weigh anyways? I havent really looked in to this motor before. Is it an iron block?
Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of lives problems- Homer Simpson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Sleepys-14 wrote:Very nice work! How much do these motors weigh anyways? I havent really looked in to this motor before. Is it an iron block?
Plenty of information can be had by searching, even on Google.

There are reasons why Dave's car is the only VG30DETT510.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
datsunscom
Supporter

Post by datsunscom »

Thanks! They're over 450lbs fully dressed and ready to drop in including turbos, I believe 480# is a close number, or 150lbs heavier than an SR20DET. Add another several pounds for the heavier transmission and other goodies and my 510 weighs about 2550lbs, with most of it added on the nose. Even at that the F/R distribution is better than any FWD car.

The VG is an iron block, and with completely stock internals they will support north of 500whp.

Still, you won't hear me complain once it's running again :-)
Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

Thanks for the info. Really want to hear this thing run.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

okayfine wrote:There are reasons why Dave's car is the only VG30DETT510.
I thought Rebelle built one for Dennis Hale years ago?
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

I can tell that he really likes his 510 and engine setup, so I don't think he minds talking about it. He knows its not the best swap known to man, but its what he likes. Having a VG30dett in a 510 doesn't mean its the best, there are better motors out there, and many that wiegh less. I love looking at swaps like this though. If someone puts this much effort in to a setup, I could care less what it is, I still respect it.
okayfine wrote:
Sleepys-14 wrote:Very nice work! How much do these motors weigh anyways? I havent really looked in to this motor before. Is it an iron block?
Plenty of information can be had by searching, even on Google.

There are reasons why Dave's car is the only VG30DETT510.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

RonM wrote:I thought Rebelle built one for Dennis Hale years ago?
Is that the sound of the four horsemen of the apocalypse?

I very much doubt that happened, knowing Dennis' view of "wrong motor" swaps. Perhaps you were thinking of his V8 car, Pinkie? But even with that, I don't recall Rebello doing the work.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

okayfine wrote: Is that the sound of the four horsemen of the apocalypse?

I very much doubt that happened, knowing Dennis' view of "wrong motor" swaps. Perhaps you were thinking of his V8 car, Pinkie? But even with that, I don't recall Rebello doing the work.
I spoke with Dave about building a VG30DETT for me at Rebello when I was planning my build. Dave talked me into building an SR20 510 saying he'd build a DETT 6 motor (or at least that's the way I remember it) for dennis Hale. He said Dennis never drove the car, because the power was too hard to put to the road making it a hand full to drive, and wasn't much fun. I guess Dave could have been talking about a V8, but I never mentioned any interest in a V8 Dime. Bare in mind this conversation was over a year ago, and in between I wrote a dissertation, built my car, and ran my buisness into the ground :lol: so take it for what it's worth.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

You're much closer to the source than I, so we'll go with your version. Still very surprising.